ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 146 of 173
« First < 4696136142143144145146 147148149150156 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:10 AM 04-23-2023
I started the Diplomat on Netflix.

I'm a bit of Keri Russell dude. I really really liked The Americans, and this had a bit of that feel.

I'm typically not much for political thrillers, but this one hooked me. I was all in on almost all the characters. There wasn't much that fell flat. The UK PM kind of did, but they pulled him back in a bit.

I might be off base, but they did a really nice job of presenting high level operators processing quickly. It's one thing to say, this character is a good foreign policy mind. It's quite another to actually make it feel organic. It was really good.

Moreover, they didn't hamfist shit together. Some of the timeframes feel unnecessarily constrained, but nothing feels dumb or forced.

Big thing is the characters are all compelling. And maybe more impressive, is both sides of every argument made at least some sense, even if it goes against the narrative of the protagonist. They did a really good job with all the characters. And they also did a nice job of not trying to tie these dudes to caricatures of real political figures. The president is kind of supposed to be a Biden type, but they changed a lot, but still made him an interesting and compelling character. The UK PM is supposed to be a bit of a Boris Johnson type, but they did a good job of separating the character from the public person.

It was really good IMO.

And I'm still a Keri Russell guy... It's worth a click.

https://imgur.com/zUkmYo0
[Reply]
lewdog 03:55 PM 04-23-2023
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Maybe it’s known to others and I’m not aware but I just noticed Netflix now has season 6 of Better Call Saul available.

We don’t get AMC so this is the greatest day.
Damn I didn't know that either!
[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:31 PM 04-23-2023
I've been watching Florida man, not the best show ever but I've been entertained
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:34 PM 04-23-2023
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I've been watching Florida man, not the best show ever but I've been entertained
I did too. I enjoyed it. It was better than I expected. Some of the compunding of fuckery was pretty funny, but I had a good time watching it.

Hat tip to DJLN for the recommendation
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:54 PM 04-23-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Damn I didn't know that either!
Every time I endlessly scroll through Netflix I check the Better Call Saul season count. Then BOOM!

If we both can stay awake for at least an hour after sundown ima look towards the quarter moon and envision that we’re watching it together
[Reply]
TambaBerry 05:37 PM 04-23-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I did too. I enjoyed it. It was better than I expected. Some of the compunding of fuckery was pretty funny, but I had a good time watching it.

Hat tip to DJLN for the recommendation
I have one more episode but yeah the whole thing is a wild ride lol
[Reply]
Jenson71 06:46 PM 04-23-2023
I've been told by a few people to watch Jury Duty through Amazon Freevee because it is hilarious. The setup: everything about the lawsuit (the judicial officers, other jurors, etc) is fake, except for one innocent guy who believes it is real.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 07:23 PM 04-23-2023
I have finally gotten around to The Wire. Almost done with season 1. I know gets a ton of praise and definitely hasn’t disappointed. Definitely the kind of show you are glad to have never seen until you start watching it.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:22 AM 04-24-2023
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I have finally gotten around to The Wire. Almost done with season 1. I know gets a ton of praise and definitely hasn’t disappointed. Definitely the kind of show you are glad to have never seen until you start watching it.
I'm jealous. I wish I could watch it again for the first time.

It's the only multi-season show that I've ever really re-watched.
[Reply]
stevieray 04:57 AM 04-24-2023
The Chosen
[Reply]
lewdog 05:24 AM 04-24-2023
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Still to this day, the best show I have ever seen.
[Reply]
blake5676 08:41 AM 04-24-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I'm jealous. I wish I could watch it again for the first time.

It's the only multi-season show that I've ever really re-watched.
I think I've watched the entire series 5 or 6 times now. At least once every other year. And I finally, after endless prodding, got my wife to watch it this past winter. I get thorough enjoyment from seeing someone experience the show for the first time.

Originally Posted by lewdog:
Still to this day, the best show I have ever seen.
Yeah, it's been the top of my television Mt Everest since I first saw it. And there's a decent gap between 1 and 2. Plenty of other great shows I've seen but fairly certain this will always remain my favorite by a margin.

You're in for a treat, Mr Tegu!
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:40 AM 04-24-2023
I just watched the episode with Weebo (spelling?) and his shocked reaction popular gif. That was hilarious and weird seeing the original. I had no idea where that gif came from until seeing it there but pretty funny having seen it hundreds of times before this.

And yes, this show is amazing in every facet. Lots of familiar actors I had no idea were in TV. But this below video showed up on my YouTube Abe is what finally got me to commit to watching it. It talks about the care they took in being realistic and all of the primary sources and experiences the production team had with the content and city and even I guess launching some acting careers for real people turned actors.

https://youtu.be/tlYDCuJ-c8s
[Reply]
blake5676 10:12 AM 04-24-2023
Wee-bey! One of the things about The Wire is that you love the "bad" guys, often as much or more as the so called good ones.

Interested to see how you handle the switch during Season 2. It's jarring for a lot of people as it seems everyone you got familiar with the first season is put on the backburner and the story makes a strong pivot.

Big picture though, it's all connected and important.
[Reply]
kcmulhurn 01:19 PM 04-24-2023
Originally Posted by blake5676:
Wee-bey! One of the things about The Wire is that you love the "bad" guys, often as much or more as the so called good ones.

Interested to see how you handle the switch during Season 2. It's jarring for a lot of people as it seems everyone you got familiar with the first season is put on the backburner and the story makes a strong pivot.

Big picture though, it's all connected and important.
I could never get passed the first few episodes. Should maybe be more patient with it. It just didn't grab me from the start.
[Reply]
Page 146 of 173
« First < 4696136142143144145146 147148149150156 > Last »
Up