ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Media Center>Napoleon Dynamite...
Stewie 08:43 PM 05-30-2022
Watched this today for the first time in years.

A movie of stupidity, but really entertaining.

What movies do you watch where you can put your mind in neutral and just laugh?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:27 AM 06-08-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Is Friday considered a comedy?
100%. No question.

It's sort of funny when you think about it. That movie is just Craig and Smokey chillin' on the porch the whole movie, talking shit and getting into trouble. Very little plot involved.

That actually reminds me of another: what would we consider Dazed and Confused? That movie is basically just a bunch of kids dicking around on the last day of school. Not much of a clear plot involved.. but I'm hesitant to call it a comedy, even though I can't say what label I'd put on it.
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:45 AM 06-08-2022
Scary Movie (any of them)
[Reply]
Lzen 07:52 AM 06-08-2022
I didn't like Napoleon Dynamite at first. It did grow on me after giving it another chance. Not the funniest movie or even close to one of my favs, but it does make me laugh.

Many great flicks have already been mentioned. I'll just put in my 0.02.

- Christmas Vacation
- Malibu's Most Wanted
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:41 AM 06-08-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Yeah, I think it is largely subjective. A lot of movies don't fit in a neat box that is so easily defined.
Okay, I agree about its being subjective. But one thing is clear: they definitely sold Big as a comedy. This trailer is funnier than the entire movie.

[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 11:53 AM 06-08-2022
Absolute pure trash of a movie
[Reply]
Fish 12:53 PM 06-08-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I would define a comedy as a movie whose primary aim is to make the viewer laugh.

How many scenes in Big actually made you laugh?

When they played squash? The 'I don't get it' part? The 'top bunk' scene? 'I'll stay away from her'? Choking on caviar?

Those were amusing but it was a small part of the overall movie.
The pedophilia part was hilarious...
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:02 PM 06-08-2022
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
Absolute pure trash of a movie
Don't make me throw a steak at you.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:50 PM 06-08-2022
I keep thinking about this "defining a movie" thing, and have a proposal.

We define movies purposes into quarters. Zero, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4ths. We'll use comedy as our genre for this discussion, but the same could apply to any genre: action, drama, adventure, fantasy, etc.

Here we go.
  1. If more than 75 percent of a movie's focus is on comedy, it's known as a "comedy movie". Vacation, Young Frankenstein, and Coming to America are comedies.
  2. If 50 to 75 percent of a movie's focus is on comedy, it's known as a (adjective) comedy, where the adjective is the next largest focus. Back to the Future is an adventure comedy. Ferris Bueller is a coming of age comedy. City Slickers is a buddy comedy.
  3. If 25 to 50 percent of a movie's focus is on comedy, it's a comedic (noun), where noun is the major genre focus. About Schimdt is a comedic drama. Raiders of the Lost Ark is a comedic adventure. Time Bandits is a comedic fantasy.
  4. If less than 25 percent of a movie's focus is on comedy, then it's not a comedy. Schindler's List is not a comedy. Twelve Angry Men is not a comedy. An Officer and a Gentleman is not a comedy.

What do you think?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:38 AM 06-10-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I keep thinking about this "defining a movie" thing, and have a proposal.

We define movies purposes into quarters. Zero, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4ths. We'll use comedy as our genre for this discussion, but the same could apply to any genre: action, drama, adventure, fantasy, etc.

Here we go.
  1. If more than 75 percent of a movie's focus is on comedy, it's known as a "comedy movie". Vacation, Young Frankenstein, and Coming to America are comedies.
  2. If 50 to 75 percent of a movie's focus is on comedy, it's known as a (adjective) comedy, where the adjective is the next largest focus. Back to the Future is an adventure comedy. Ferris Bueller is a coming of age comedy. City Slickers is a buddy comedy.
  3. If 25 to 50 percent of a movie's focus is on comedy, it's a comedic (noun), where noun is the major genre focus. About Schimdt is a comedic drama. Raiders of the Lost Ark is a comedic adventure. Time Bandits is a comedic fantasy.
  4. If less than 25 percent of a movie's focus is on comedy, then it's not a comedy. Schindler's List is not a comedy. Twelve Angry Men is not a comedy. An Officer and a Gentleman is not a comedy.

What do you think?
This is actually genius. I keep plugging movies in to the formula and the outcome aligns with what I'd consider that movie to be labeled.

The 25-50% group even articulated some hesitations I had on an entire group I wasn't sure how to label.

I'm glad you're taking this seriously!
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:23 AM 06-10-2022
I have a question about Uncle Rico.

He laments that if the coach had only put him into the game in the fourth quarter, they would have won the state championship, leading Uncle Rico down a completely different life path to NFL fame and riches.

His throwing motion is obviously unorthodox, but it's not really different than Phillip Rivers' arm motion. And the one time we see him throw to a target, his accuracy is dead on accurate.

via GIPHY

So is it possible that Uncle Rico is correct? Was he penalized unfairly by a closed-minded coach for not having a classic throwing motion, and that derailed an otherwise stellar NFL career?

Or was his throwing motion too elbow-driven to ever have the NFL velocity needed to hit the deep out?
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:39 AM 06-10-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I have a question about Uncle Rico.

He laments that if the coach had only put him into the game in the fourth quarter, they would have won the state championship, leading Uncle Rico down a completely different life path to NFL fame and riches.

His throwing motion is obviously unorthodox, but it's not really different than Phillip Rivers' arm motion. And the one time we see him throw to a target, his accuracy is dead on accurate.

via GIPHY

So is it possible that Uncle Rico is correct? Was he penalized unfairly by a closed-minded coach for not having a classic throwing motion, and that derailed an otherwise stellar NFL career?

Or was his throwing motion too elbow-driven to ever have the NFL velocity needed to hit the deep out?
Well, considering he can throw a football over those mountains, i think it's safe to say Coach was wrong for not putting him in.

[Reply]

Sassy Squatch 11:46 AM 06-10-2022
It's too bad they didn't bother to show him throwing the pigskin a quarter mile or over them there mountains. A lot more data couldve been gleaned from the throwing motions.
[Reply]
Nickhead 04:32 PM 06-10-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Also, a vague general reference to 'Python' doesn't tell anyone much about your criticism.

They've been around for half a century and have been very prolific. . . I'm not arguing that every single frame of every single property has been unmitigated platinum-level comedy.

If he's seen like half of Holy Grail or Life of Brian and still hates it, that's inexplicable. . . . If he saw the wrong 30 seconds of Meaning of Life, or just a few clips of a skit or two from Flying Circus, . . . well you can just point him to better content.

Another recommendation that is Python-adjacent, A Fish Called Wanda is a great comedy
i beg to differ

[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:45 PM 06-10-2022
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
i beg to differ
Leave to an Aussie to automatically gainsay anything a person says.
[Reply]
CapsLockKey 08:45 PM 06-10-2022
Pretty good mentions so far. I'll throw in Weird Science, Waiting, Smokey and the Bandit. Not a fan of Dane Cook but can't turn off Employee of the Month if I stumble on it mostly because of the other characters. Also Kingpin is drastically underrated, best Farrely brothers movie in my opinion.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Up