ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 33
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
Frazod 11:00 PM 05-27-2022
The last episode was the best yet.

So far this show is exceptional.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:40 AM 05-28-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:

Yeah, that was pretty damned good. Enjoying this quite a bit so far.
[Reply]
listopencil 07:17 AM 05-28-2022

Yeah, this show pretty much blows everything else Trek out of the water. Not even close.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:19 AM 05-28-2022
I really liked the way they incorporated elements from the original series episode Balance of Terror and the Mutara Nebula scene from Star Trek II.

The Enterprise really got beat to shit, too. I wonder if next week starts off with them getting repairs in a space dock.

Seems like they're setting the Gorn up to be the heavy in this season - and perhaps the nastiest baddies ever (at least the Klingons and Borg didn't actually eat prisoners). Looking forward to seeing how they're actually portrayed when they actually show them. Could be something they're saving for the season finale.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:41 AM 05-28-2022
I really liked the way they incorporated elements from the original series episode Balance of Terror and the Mutara Nebula scene from Star Trek II.

The Enterprise really got beat to shit, too. I wonder if next week starts off with them getting repairs in a space dock.

Seems like they're setting the Gorn up to be the heavy in this season - and perhaps the nastiest baddies ever (at least the Klingons and Borg didn't actually eat prisoners). Looking forward to seeing how they're actually portrayed when they actually show them. Could be something they're saving for the season finale.
I took it as a one off and I'm hoping they continue to keep this episodic, maybe in the next one they are leaving space drydock for much needed repair/maintenance and leave it at that. I'm not too interested in fleshing out the Gorn because that horrible fight scene and that terrible costume in ST:TOS is iconic.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:43 AM 05-28-2022
You can't just bury this and pretend it didn't happen. It's fucking hilarious:

[Reply]
Frazod 09:50 AM 05-28-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
You can't just bury this and pretend it didn't happen. It's fucking hilarious:

Oh come on, that was a good episode for the time. You've got to forgive 60s costumes and 60s TV budget restraints. I'm actually more concerned about them giving away too much about the Gorn here, because in that episode they were fairly unknown. Even at this point Spock knows more about them than he did in the original, set several years afterwards - he certainly never expressed any concerns about Kirk being eaten if he lost the fight.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:55 AM 05-28-2022
Oh come on, that was a good episode for the time. You've got to forgive 60s costumes and 60s TV budget restraints. I'm actually more concerned about them giving away too much about the Gorn here, because in that episode they were fairly unknown. Even at this point Spock knows more about them than he did in the original, set several years afterwards - he certainly never expressed any concerns about Kirk being eaten if he lost the fight.

Oh, sure. I'm aware of the budget constraints and the state of that tech versus today. They did a much better job of costuming the female guest actresses on a regular basis so I'll forgive them, and now I view stuff like the Gorn costume as absurdist art. But that goofy image will never leave my mind.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:57 AM 05-28-2022
If they do keep the Gorn to use as baddies in this season then there has to exist a 'blooper' of Pike fighting a guy in a copy of the original costume.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:01 AM 05-28-2022
If they do keep the Gorn to use as baddies in this season then there has to exist a 'blooper' of Pike fighting a guy in a copy of the original costume.
Heh. That would be pretty funny.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:56 AM 05-28-2022
*in slow motion even though it's still real time
[Reply]
Frazod 10:33 AM 06-03-2022
Well, the last episode was definitely a step back. While it wasn't horrible, and was clearly going for light-hearted laughs after the Gorn episode, it definitely had some Discovery creep to it. Apparently Chapel is bi, and it's pretty obvious that the butch helmsman chick has the hots for her. Similar vibe developing between Number One and the security officer.

This show is so promising. Don't want to see it devolve into woke shit. :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 10:39 AM 06-03-2022
Probably the best part of this episode was them dusting off the familiar fight music from the original series. That definitely put a smile on my face.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 10:53 AM 06-03-2022
Well, the last episode was definitely a step back. While it wasn't horrible, and was clearly going for light-hearted laughs after the Gorn episode, it definitely had some Discovery creep to it. Apparently Chapel is bi, and it's pretty obvious that the butch helmsman chick has the hots for her. Similar vibe developing between Number One and the security officer.

This show is so promising. Don't want to see it devolve into woke shit. :-)
Having somebody be bi isn't having Discovery creep into it. Discovery is a complete pile of garbage for many reasons that go well beyond what sexual orientation anybody is. S4 of that show might actually be the worst full season of television I've ever seen.

And I liked the episode all right. Obviously it was a shore leave/comedy episode that is meant to be taken less than seriously, but this show is able to pull it off pretty well because they have a likable cast that they are actually taking the time to develop (unlike, for example, the casts of Discovery and Picard which were ignored at best and awful at worst).

It's still hard to believe that this show actually is as consistently good as it is. First Star Trek live action thing that I've actually looked forward to watching each week since the reboot and it's kind of disappointing that we're only getting 10 episodes of it (instead of 20+ like in the old days). Hope they kept this same writing staff together for S2.
[Reply]
Bowser 07:22 PM 06-03-2022
Nurse Chappel is hot as fuck, even more so when decked out in her civvies. And apparently, she's an unapologetic slut as well. New favorite character located!

Yeah this episode throttled back significantly, but it was still enjoyable enough.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 33
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up