Page 10 of 22
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Media Center>Top gun trailer
Sorry 01:44 PM 07-18-2019
Couldn't find a thread.

https://youtu.be/qSqVVswa420
[Reply]
Frazod 11:04 AM 06-06-2022
I guess I should point out that one of my criticisms is unfounded in the modern Navy - a pilot/RIO can wear glasses or contacts if his/her vision is correctable to 20/20. That wasn't the case when I was in, but of course I was in when the first movie came out in the mid 80s. I thought they just put glasses on Bob to make his dorky character even dorkier. While it was a small thing, it was enough to set off my Navy veteran bullshit alarm.

Anyway, I was wrong on that point. I stand by the rest of them, though.
[Reply]
notorious 11:07 AM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I guess I should point out that one of my criticisms is unfounded in the modern Navy - a pilot/RIO can wear glasses or contacts if his/her vision is correctable to 20/20. That wasn't the case when I was in, but of course I was in when the first movie came out in the mid 80s. I thought they just put glasses on Bob to make his dorky character even dorkier. While it was a small thing, it was enough to set off my Navy veteran bullshit alarm.

Anyway, I was wrong on that point. I stand by the rest of them, though.
This was THE reason I didn't join the AF or Navy.

I wanted at least a shot at making the flight program. They said nope, but still pushed hard since my test scores were fantastic.

Fuck em'
[Reply]
Frazod 11:20 AM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
This was THE reason I didn't join the AF or Navy.

I wanted at least a shot at making the flight program. They said nope, but still pushed hard since my test scores were fantastic.

Fuck em'
I still kind of question it, though. I mean, with all the violent physical forces at play on somebody flying a fighter, it seems kind of chancy. I've known people to lose contacts or have their glasses break/shift from a variety of things infinitely more gentle than five G barrel rolls.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:28 AM 06-06-2022
love a good naval expose from frazod :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 11:35 AM 06-06-2022
Admittedly, my only real experience with naval aviation was when a carrier my ship was alongside in the Med during an UNREP (resupplying by lines and helos) scrambled its ready fighters as we performed an emergency breakaway when a Russian cruiser steamed directly ahead of us and stopped.

The Russian ship moved out of way. Quickly. :-) They fucked with us like that sometimes. I'm sure we did the same to them.

That shit was LOUD, too.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:04 PM 06-06-2022
And here my dumb ass was thinking the actors actually got to fly the planes after watching this and the training they went through, lol.

Even if they didn't fly them it's impressive they were in there and dealing with those G's.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:30 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
And here my dumb ass was thinking the actors actually got to fly the planes after watching this and the training they went through, lol.

Even if they didn't fly them it's impressive they were in there and dealing with those G's.
Wait...what?!?

You thought they just tossed Miles Teller the keys to an F-18 and said "bring 'er back in one piece..."

My understanding is that Cruise can actually fly and that he actually flew that trainer in the scene at the end with Jennifer Connelly. But that part of the Navy allowing them to use the real Hornets was a strict "Tom Cruise can't touch ANYTHING" requirement because...well, his reputation precedes him.

The guys just balls to the walls - but there's no way they're giving a pile of actors control of a fighter jet.
[Reply]
O.city 03:39 PM 06-06-2022
Saw it last night. Enjoyed it.

No chance I could withstand the force of pilots. Just not a club in my bag for that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:44 PM 06-06-2022
Yes - it appears Tom Cruise can definitely fly a P-51 as well as an actual 'fighter' style jet.

James Corden is an annoying pain in the ass but Tom Cruise is just wild as hell, man.

EDIT: From what I can find that's an Aero L-39 Albatros. Max Speed is in the 500 mph range with a 36K ft ceiling and a climb rate around 21 m/s; can pull a hair over 6 Gs.

So it ain't a Raptor or anything but it does not fuck around.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:58 PM 06-06-2022
Great movie.

9/10

I highly suggest watching in theaters as opposed to waiting to watch it at home.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:02 PM 06-06-2022
I went back to my home town yesterday and drove by the ol' Top Gun house. They turned it into a restaurant. I use to walk by that house everyday as a kid.

That whole area has been radically changed. They've got nice big hotels everywhere. Can't even see the ocean from the hillside any more.

Two things still stand: My favorite taco shop and the Top Gun house. But even the Top gun house has been changed.

They built a movie theater within a 1 min walk from the Top Gun house and I was thiiiiiis close to stopping in to watch Top Gun 2. Just not enough time in the day yesterday.

I think i might drive back next weekend just to watch the Movie in Oceanside.

I mean, how cool would it be to watch Top Gun 2 just 1min away from where parts of Top Gun were filmed?
[Reply]
notorious 04:05 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yes - it appears Tom Cruise can definitely fly a P-51 as well as an actual 'fighter' style jet.

James Corden is an annoying pain in the ass but Tom Cruise is just wild as hell, man.

EDIT: From what I can find that's an Aero L-39 Albatros. Max Speed is in the 500 mph range with a 36K ft ceiling and a climb rate around 21 m/s; can pull a hair over 6 Gs.

So it ain't a Raptor or anything but it does not **** around.
I'm going to guess it can climb faster than that. :-)

(Nevermind, I'm used to meter or feet/minute)
[Reply]
Bowser 04:15 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wait...what?!?

You thought they just tossed Miles Teller the keys to an F-18 and said "bring 'er back in one piece..."

My understanding is that Cruise can actually fly and that he actually flew that trainer in the scene at the end with Jennifer Connelly. But that part of the Navy allowing them to use the real Hornets was a strict "Tom Cruise can't touch ANYTHING" requirement because...well, his reputation precedes him.

The guys just balls to the walls - but there's no way they're giving a pile of actors control of a fighter jet.
I mean, I figured it was a retired F/18 drug out of mothballs :-)

Let me be excited and a live self constructed fantasy life vicariously, damn you.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:18 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

I mean, how cool would it be to watch Top Gun 2 just 1min away from where parts of Top Gun were filmed?
Shit, us locals call it "the Top Gun House".... in case no one knows wtf im talking about.

I'm referring to the house where Tom Cruise fucked Kelly McGillis. The "Take my Breath Away" scene where Tom Cruise rides off into the sunset on his Kawasaki Ninja.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:21 PM 06-06-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
I'm going to guess it can climb faster than that. :-)
That's 4100 ft/minute, no?

That's pretty damn severe, especially for a sub-sonic trainer. About 7 times what a Cessna is rated for.

I'm guessing it just doesn't have the power to simply go nose up and rocket without running out of inertia and stalling. It looks like a maneuverable little thing but doesn't seem like it's incredibly powerful.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 22
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up