ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 23
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Thoughts the day after
TwistedChief 04:32 AM 09-20-2021
Went to bed embarrassed and mad. Woke up fine.

We've lost so infrequently over the past couple years that I think we've forgotten how to do it. And how to cope with it as fans.

That defensive performance was about as pathetic as I can ever remember. Literally no saving grace on that front. And that's concerning. But we can acknowledge that these two matchups were particularly bad for this team and we've seen Spags' defenses look lost in the past only to make adjustments and find a way to improve to semi-respectable.

The reality is we played a NUMBER of close games like this last year and each and every time the ball bounced our way. Now, a lot of that is because we have Mahomes who has papered over endless deficiencies for the last few years, but even as a recently as last week, if Chubb doesn't fumble, do we win that game? What is the narrative like then?

Clyde looks bad. Like, even below the status of a normal JAG running back. But I don't think you can fault Andy for running the ball in that situation. It's not like the guy has a LeSean McCoy recent history of fumbling for you (or at all). It happened. It sucks.

Anyway, guys, this is no different from prior seasons. We can beat any team. We have Mahomes and 99% of the time Clyde isn't fumbling there, Butker kicks a FG, we end up winning the game, and we're all doing cartwheels and looking forward to the Chargers. It didn't happen here, but that doesn't make us materially worse as a football team.

This team ex-Mahomes has been soft. Hopefully this toughens us up. We'll be fine.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:26 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
This is silly.

They trying to kill clock so they could make sure they had the last score. Running was the right thing to do.

Mahomes can't do every goddamn thing. At some point the ball handlers have to handle the ball.

It was not clock killing time yet. We weren’t close enough for that. The Ravens only had one timeout and 1:30 left in the game. They were completely at our mercy and had no answer for our short passing game all game long. But they did have an answer for our running game all night.

It was unlikely we get a first down running based on how it went all game so why risk getting to third down at all? Pass it one or two more times, get ten yards, then kill the clock.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:27 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
There was 1:20 left in the game. Baltimore had one timeout and would've had to score a touchdown if they got the ball back.

I'm not advocating for us taking an end zone shot. But let Patrick keep getting chunks of yardage to at least set Butker up for a chip shot. We absolutely did not have to run the ball there. That kind of thinking is why we lost.
It was a 2nd a 3, and considering we were on there, what, 30-ish yard line with all of our timeout and in no danger of not picking up a first, running the ball the right call.

Considering where we were and how many timeouts, and the down and distance, the call made sense. On top of the fact that there was about 50seconds too much on the clock.

And like you said, they likely would have to burn their last timeout. All CEH had to do was not fumble. He didn't even have to pick up the 1st. They still had another down to do that. All he had to do was not fumble.
[Reply]
Flying High D 09:28 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Orlando was probably the one that was supposed to of blocked him.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:28 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
It was not clock killing time yet. We weren’t close enough for that. The Ravens only had one timeout and 1:30 left in the game.
We were already in FG range with all of our timeouts. It was clock killing time. Absolutely it was. With our field position and the amount of timeouts, we only needed about 30 seconds of clock to score.

That means they needed to kill a min.
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:28 AM 09-20-2021
This is silly.

They trying to kill clock so they could make sure they had the last score. Running was the right thing to do.

Mahomes can't do every goddamn thing. At some point the ball handlers have to handle the ball.
Scoring is the right thing to do. You can't win if you don't score. Keep the ball in Pat's hands and you will have the best chance to win. That play was going nowhere (as usual) with CEH - except for setting us up for loss of 2 yards and a 3rd and 5. We could have picked up 20 more yards passing and burned the clock. Pat was absolutely dealing in that drive. Just let Pat do his Pat things in that drive.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 09:30 AM 09-20-2021
It was a 2nd a 3, and considering we were on there, what, 30-ish yard line with all of our timeout and in no danger of not picking up a first, running the ball the right call.

Considering where we were and how many timeouts, and the down and distance, the call made sense. On top of the fact that there was about 50seconds too much on the clock.

And like you said, they likely would have to burn their last timeout. All CEH had to do was not fumble. He didn't even have to pick up the 1st. They still had another down to do that. All he had to do was not fumble.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not absolving Clyde of blame. He needs to hold onto the damn ball.

Taking the ball out of the best player in the world's hands in crunch time is just a complete non starter to me though.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:32 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
Scoring is the right thing to do. You can't win if you don't score. Keep the ball in Pat's hands and you will have the best chance to win. That play was going nowhere (as usual) with CEH - except for setting us up for loss of 2 yards and a 3rd and 5. We could have picked up 20 more yards passing and burned the clock. Pat was absolutely dealing in that drive. Just let Pat do his Pat things in that drive.
Pat can't make guys hold onto the football.

And this Chiefs offense was GOING to score. But you wanna score and that put our shit D back on the field again with a min left on the clock?

The call was the right call.

All CEH had to do was not fumble.

There's no point in passing the blame onto anyone other than CEH.

If CEH doesn't fumble, then at worst it's 3rd and 3, in FG range and the Ravens either just let 45 seconds run off or used up their timeout, thus pretty much sealing the game.
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:32 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Flying High D:
Orlando was probably the one that was supposed to of blocked him.
I think Thuney had that coverage assignment
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:33 AM 09-20-2021
Don't get me wrong, I'm not absolving Clyde of blame. He needs to hold onto the damn ball.

Taking the ball out of the best player in the world's hands in crunch time is just a complete non starter to me though.
SAME
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:33 AM 09-20-2021

What im trying to say here is that even if the ball is in Pat's hands, the receiver still has to hold onto the damn ball. If Pat throws a screen to CEH and THEN CEH fumbles, the result is the damn same.

Hold onto the football. Everything else in this situation is moot.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 09:34 AM 09-20-2021
We were already in FG range with all of our timeouts. It was clock killing time. Absolutely it was. With our field position and the amount of timeouts, we only needed about 30 seconds of clock to score.

That means they needed to kill a min.
We were in range for a 50 yarder. So as soon as you cross the FG range line you would shut it down?

Go get 20 more yard and let Butker pooch in a 30 yarder instead.
[Reply]
JolieMolie 09:35 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by GoForIt:
SB loser hangover is real.
Yes. That was my thought about last week and then for yesterday. Not only was there a hangover, but Andy seems stressed and may unfortunately still be affected by the terrible event the week before. Can you say down year?
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:38 AM 09-20-2021
We were in range for a 50 yarder. So as soon as you cross the FG range line you would shut it down?
They weren't shutting it down. Lol, it was 2nd and 3. They still had a whole other down to get 3 yards.

Honestly, considering the field position, the down and distance and the TO situation it's hard to fathom a better time to run it.

They woulda taken balt's last TO OR burned 45 secs off the clock and THEN gotten the 1st and likely iced the game. That woulda been the end result.

All CEH had to do was not fumble.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:39 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by JolieMolie:
Can you say down year?
It's freaking week 2 and every AFC contender has an L. Lol, relax.
[Reply]
-King- 09:39 AM 09-20-2021
The whole Chris Jones at DE thing was a mistake. They shoulda signed Clowney. Or Ingram. Or Houston. Cheap options were available.

They may be better off just playing Okafor and sliding Jones back inside.

I really feel for CEH. I thought he had some nice runs last night. I thought he looked better this week than last. But that fumble...i mean, you do that and no one will remember any of the good you actually did put in. And rightfully so. I'm still holding out hope he can turn it around.

It's still early. Still just week 2 in what is now a 17 game schedule. Everyone who's an AFC contender has taken an L, so chillax. Bills, Browns, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Titans, Dolphins Colts, Chargers all have loses.

Teams change so damn much by the end of the season that it's hard for me to get too upset abut this one.

There's a lot of time before the playoffs to get things ironed out.
The fucked up thing about the Chris Jones situation is that if it turns out to be a mistake, it can't really be fixed in season. He'd need to regain 15-20lbs to go back to DT and that's basically impossible in season.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 23
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up