ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 303 of 3903
« First < 203253293299300301302303 3043053063073133534038031303 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
KCUnited 06:06 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Sucks if you had a wedding planned. Even average sized weddings and receptions will no longer be allowed with a 50 person limit.
We bailed on a wedding in Austin next month, one that I was actually looking forward to. I imagine they'll postpone it outright. My dude absolutely out kicked his coverage and Pepé Le Pew'd this chick for years before she even agreed to a date with him. So I know he's shitting himself thinking about any delay in getting her to the altar. She's neurotic enough to take this "as a sign" :-)

Didn't expect a full refund from my Airbnb but they let you ask if you're cancelling for covid reasons and the host gave it to me. Going to pay if forward to a service industry support fund happening here.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:15 AM 03-16-2020
I’m not trying to downplay this, and certain areas are certainly having more cases than others, but we are not 10 days behind Italy. We had it here first. We had 20 cases when they had 4 cases on February 2nd. Saying first community spread is not really an important measure. Just because it’s the first identified spread in the US without a known origin doesn’t really matter. Does anyone really think this virus went 26 days from early to late February without being spread around a bunch more? Of course not. And of course it makes sense this community spread was officially identified later because we were only testing few symptomatic people with known ties to those who had it or were possibly to have had it based on travel. But clearly it was spreading undetected long before that.

Regarding South Korea testing comparison, it’s basically impossible to do what they are doing due to population density. Even in their really overcrowded country they have tested just 0.5% of the population. If we would have tested say 300,000 people so far, it would be an incredibly meager 0.09% of the population. Maybe in a few select cities we could test a higher percentage and get more people tested quickly but it’s not applicable in most of the US.

South Korea has the results of tests of 260,000 people with the vast majority tested negative given they only have about 9,000 cases. That’s 3.5% positive tests. On March 4th, 5.5% of people tested positive out of 109,000 tests. That’s a pretty small drop that could be attributed to the testing and social distancing but even more just by sheer numbers of people being tested, which you would also expect to lower the positive test results.

I still believe that there are other factors causing differences in severity in countries and these numbers would support that. Overall I think the measures we have taken will continue to help though and that we will have a trajectory similar to Korea.
[Reply]
007 07:24 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Our healthcare workers are now being asked to take their temperatures before they leave for work and after they get home from work. If they run anything 100 or greater they have to get tested before they can come back.
Guess it's a good thing my core temp is 97.3 then.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:50 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
Guess it's a good thing my core temp is 97.3 then.
My normal core temp is 96.5, I've gotten a lot of weird looks from doctors over the years.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:55 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
neither have you chicken little.
Dr. Fauci is viewed by the world as the most knowledgeable and respected infectious disease expert in the world. He has told the public the truth all along. We are lucky at 79 he still has all his intellect to help get us through this crisis.

He says its going to get worse before it gets better. The path we are currently on will not flatten that curve. You and others should listen to his words and guidance on how to best deal with this crisis.
[Reply]
wazu 07:57 AM 03-16-2020
Noticing that the "serious/critical" case count in the U.S. finally updated today and now it's 12 instead of 10.
[Reply]
Rausch 07:59 AM 03-16-2020
NY Gov. Cuomo's press conference from yesterday. Listen to what he's saying. Listen to the way he's saying it.

First he confirms that slowing the spread is what's important and the healthcare system (there) getting swamped is inevitable. Towards the end it depends how you interpret what he's saying. He's basically begging for more resources/authority/people from the federal govt. It's possible what he's asking for is martial law and possible I'm reading too much into this.

Watch the video and hopefully someone more versed in emergency procedures or this gov. can tell us what they think...

[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:03 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
We bailed on a wedding in Austin next month, one that I was actually looking forward to. I imagine they'll postpone it outright. My dude absolutely out kicked his coverage and Pepé Le Pew'd this chick for years before she even agreed to a date with him. So I know he's shitting himself thinking about any delay in getting her to the altar. She's neurotic enough to take this "as a sign" :-)
I've met a lot of wives of members on here. I'd say most of us on here married above our station.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:06 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
The path we are currently on will not flatten that curve. You and others should listen to his words and guidance on how to best deal with this crisis.
If what we are doing now - closing schools, large gatherings, etc. - won't help then why are we doing it?
[Reply]
Rausch 08:10 AM 03-16-2020
I've met a lot of wives of members on here. I'd say most of us on here married above our station.
I didn't...
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:12 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
If what we are doing now - closing schools, large gatherings, etc. - won't help then why are we doing it?
He says we need to do more closings. Too many exceptions. He's the one who pushed for the groups of 50 recommendation from the CDC yesterday. We should have the military set up field hospitals to help the civilian system before they get swamped.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:21 AM 03-16-2020
Also Dr. Fauci says we should stop doing elective surgery. It uses resources that we may need later.
[Reply]
Rausch 08:22 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Mr. Plow:
It slows the spread and keeps you in small numbers instead of riling each other up in large numbers.

Things only go to shit if hospitals get swamped. Our healthcare system is what keeps survival rates high. If 2 or 4 or 5x the number of people need ICU than what we can provide those death rates go up - they don't stay at 1%.

If hospitals get swamped things that weren't fatal before can become fatal. People need to be smart. Being smart and considerate is what keeps us from seeing people on ventilators in college dorms and MASH units in tents.

That stuff can lead to panic, panic can lead to marshal law, and then the government tells you what to do and stops asking. I'd prefer to ride this out, for better or worse, in my own home.

If the hospitals get to a point they can't take more people the government will be more than happy to let me die in my air conditioned home...
[Reply]
Donger 08:22 AM 03-16-2020
I wonder what affect this will have on commercial air travel:

CDC recommended organizers "cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States"
[Reply]
Rausch 08:23 AM 03-16-2020
Also Dr. Fauci says we should stop doing elective surgery. It uses resources that we may need later.
It's not the govts. job to be optimistic - it's their job to prepare for the worst.

We need to be calm and optimistic so the worst doesn't happen...
[Reply]
Page 303 of 3903
« First < 203253293299300301302303 3043053063073133534038031303 > Last »
Up