ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 67
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Nick Bolton Thread*****
Dante84 07:05 PM 04-30-2021
More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Bolton played in all 13 games as a true freshman (22 tackles, one sack) after earning Dallas Morning News first-team all-state honors at Lone Star High School (130 tackles, 16 for loss, five interceptions). He went from promising youngster to SEC star in 2019, earning first-team all-conference honors after leading the league with 8.9 tackles per game (107 total, 7.5 for loss), intercepting two passes and breaking up eight others in 12 starts. He was named second-team Associated Press All-American, first-team All-SEC and a Butkus Award finalist in 2020, leading his defense with 95 tackles and 7.5 tackles for loss (including two sacks), while breaking up five passes in 10 starts. Bolton's father, Carlos, played football at Louisiana Tech. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
When you think about strong, forceful inside linebackers, Bolton is the type of player you might be envisioning. He's going to fall below typical NFL starter standards from a size standpoint, but his rugged frame and forceful demeanor help make up for it. Play recognition and pursuit instincts help carry him to the football and he's a message-sending striker when he gets the runner squared up. He has functional short-area burst between the tackles but will struggle to run down the outside run if he's not close enough to the action. He will need to lean heavier on his instincts to help speed him up because of size and speed limitations. Bolton plays with good field recognition when dropping into zone and has a history of making plays on the football in coverage. He's a three-down linebacker who can make an immediate contribution on special teams and has the potential to become a future starter.
Strengths
  • Very tough with a physical edge.
  • Plays with demeanor teams look for in the middle.
  • Field-savvy with instincts to diagnose misdirection.
  • Identifies and communicates.
  • Heavy hands with good pop to take on blocks.
  • Pursues ball-carrier with patience and leverage.
  • Fluid alterations to his pursuit angles.
  • Excellent feel for attack timing downhill.
  • Meets runners with violent collisions in the hole.
  • Strikes like he's trying to send a message.
  • Great awareness and ballhawking as spot dropper.
  • Has enough man-cover talent to play on all three downs.
  • Thrived on kick- and punt-cover teams early in his career.
Weaknesses
  • Average lateral quickness traps him behind climbing blocks.
  • Inconsistent to strike and separate from blockers.
  • Needs to improve angles to elude box traffic.
  • Might need to take a few more chances as a pro.
  • Top-end speed appears below average.
  • Loses ground when pursuit flows wide.
  • Below-average lateral agility as open-field tackler.
  • Will have to play quicker to deal with NFL slashers.

.@_nickbolton2 gets the call from One Arrowhead Drive �� pic.twitter.com/1XgaCeBy8R

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 1, 2021

[Reply]
staylor26 04:00 PM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I was thinking the same thing. You can see that on his tape as well
You can also see his instincts on tape too, but apparently you guys missed that.

He wasn’t drafted to cover TE’s and RB’s down the field. We have Willie Gay to be our athletic coverage LB.

However, he’s more athletic and has more upside than Hitchens ever had in coverage. He also has some ball skills and can make plays. I don’t see how anybody can know he was drafted to replace Hitchens and question whether he has the athletic ability to do so.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:03 PM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Good thing instincts are one of his best qualities.

I love how some of you talk as if he’s as athletic as Reggie Ragland. His speed is fine, and I’d bet his 10 yard split is above average. He plays fast. Stop just looking at the #s and watch the tape.

His 10 yard and 3 cone are worse than Tamba's who was 40 pounds heavier when he ran it
[Reply]
staylor26 04:08 PM 05-04-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:

His 10 yard and 3 cone are worse than Tamba's who was 40 pounds heavier when he ran it
Don’t really care. I’ve watched the tape. He absolutely flies around the football field. If you don’t think he plays faster than the guy he is going to replace, I really don’t know what to tell you. Maybe get a new set of eyes?

Also, his composite speed grade is “good”. You are talking like it’s terrible.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:10 PM 05-04-2021
Don’t really care. I’ve watched the tape. He absolutely flies around the football field. If you don’t think he plays faster than the guy he is going to replace, I really don’t know what to tell you. Maybe get a new set of eyes?

Also, his composite speed grade is “good”. You are talking like it’s terrible.

His short area speed is terrible, Bolton will be a roleplayer and solid expecting anything more is unfair to him.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:11 PM 05-04-2021
A slightly faster Hitchens. Yeah not exactly a ringing endorsement for a 2nd rd pick
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 04:12 PM 05-04-2021
Chiefs made several stellar picks. Nick is gonna be a tone setter in time. He doesn't just tackle, he sends a message. I think he'll be fine in coverage with Spags coaching him up. Not stellar, but fine.

We're simply going to have to bracket guys like Waller. Only a hand full of players in the NFL can cover top tier TE's and not get ran over on running plays.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:14 PM 05-04-2021
His short area speed is terrible, Bolton will be a roleplayer and solid expecting anything more is unfair to him.
You are basing this off the underwear olympics. I’m basing it off the tape. It’s quite obvious what you put more stock into based on your draft takes. Do you even watch these guys or do you just immediately go to the combine/pro day #s to judge?

The way seem of you talk about him it’s a wonder how an undersized slow 2 down LB was a consensus early 2nd round pick.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:16 PM 05-04-2021
A slightly faster Hitchens. Yeah not exactly a ringing endorsement for a 2nd rd pick
He’s not slightly faster. He plays significantly faster than Hitchens. Get a fucking clue maybe?

I guess you would prefer going to FA route spending top dollar to replace Hitchens again?

Would you say Denzel Perryman was a bad 2nd round pick for the Chargers? That probably the best comparison for Bolton.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 04:20 PM 05-04-2021
So often the intangibles separate the good from the great. Not only is he faster physically, his instincts are tremendous. He has a next level feel for the game. Hitchens can only dream to diagnose a play like this kid.

Plus this kid is an absolute nail driver. I've seen Hitchens lay some big hits. This kid will flat out end your day.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:21 PM 05-04-2021
You are basing this off the underwear olympics. I’m basing it off the tape. It’s quite obvious what you put more stock into based on your draft takes. Do you even watch these guys or do you just immediately go to the combine/pro day #s to judge?

The way seem of you talk about him it’s a wonder how an undersized slow 2 down LB was a consensus early 2nd round pick.
"but but he's going to be the exception because he's a Chief!"

If Bolton does succeed awesome, but I'm not expecting an all-pro or pro-bowl caliber player.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:24 PM 05-04-2021
"but but he's going to be the exception because he's a Chief!"

If Bolton does succeed awesome, but I'm not expecting an all-pro or pro-bowl caliber player.
Who the fuck said anything about All-Pro?

If he’s just a good MLB and cheaper upgrade from Hitchens, it’s a good fucking pick. Maybe your expectations are too high if you expect every late 2nd round pick to be an All-Pro?

If he’s Denzel Perryman, his most common pro comparison, it’s a great pick.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:29 PM 05-04-2021
Who the fuck said anything about All-Pro?

If he’s just a good MLB and cheaper upgrade from Hitchens it’s a great fucking pick. Maybe your expectations are too high if you expect every late 2nd round pick to be an All-Pro.

If he’s Denzel Perryman, his most common pro comparison, it’s a great pick.

As I said if you expect anything more than a roleplayer then you are fooling yourself
[Reply]
staylor26 04:35 PM 05-04-2021
As I said if you expect anything more than a roleplayer then you are fooling yourself
This isn’t basketball.

I assume by “role player” you mean that he’s a 2 down LB, and if so, you’re wrong.

That’s also diminishes what he will be doing as a leader on D and the guy making all of the calls.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:38 PM 05-04-2021
You’re arguing with the guy who wanted a 2nd round RB. Might as well just stop wasting your time.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:38 PM 05-04-2021
This isn’t basketball.

I assume by “role player” you mean that he’s a 2 down LB, and if so, you’re wrong.

That’s also diminishes what he will be doing as a leader on D and the guy making all of the calls.
He's Sorenson he'll be steady but nothing great.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 67
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Up