ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Gravely Mower 991166 60" ZT
Holladay 01:03 AM 05-28-2023
This is for a old couple I am trying to help.

Newer model ~5 yro. He used to be an everything mechanic. Navy vet in Vietnam. They have a small acreage down the road from my place. Alzheimer sucks.

Message on the small LCD readout that shows number of hours used, states "oil filter" error. I changed the oil filter. "air filter" error message. I changed the air filter. Oil level is fine.

It runs for 10 min then stops. Then the same error messages pop up and the mower stops. I am not sure that if just running the mower or if the PTO engages for the blades that causes the message. The local mechanic said to check fuses or some 2 wires someplace. (I didn't talk to him, wife did). He charges $50/hr and has been up to their place many times.

If that was the case, the fuses or the wires the mower wouldn't start in the first place.

I am thinking a computer reset button/code that I replaced both filters, that I didn't reset. Kind of like when I get my oil changed in my car...I reset the oil used % back up to 100%. Or error codes for a O2 sensor. Though a code for oil/air filter could shut down the mower to prevent engine damage.

When I changed both filters, the computer doesn't know, therefore shuts down after a few minutes not to damage the engine?????

They paid ~$5k for the mower and another $3k on the dumb stuff that he has inflicted on the mower over the last few years.

It is a nice mower, 60" deck, 24 hp Kawasaki motor, low hours. She wants just to sell the damn thing and not sink in anymore money into it. My wife will mow their place for them, but he is getting aggressive (Alzheimer's) and doesn't what her to touch the darn thing.

Sad.

Is there an easy fix? Reset the error codes on the mower? I maintain my riding mower/do basic stuff on the cars/ know enough to be dangerous (Like Russell).

Not my mower and don't want to sign into a Gravely Forum for hopefully an easy fix.

Thoughts or advice to what avenues to pursue?
[Reply]
Holladay 01:46 AM 06-02-2023
Kansas

THANK YOU.

Any help would be great. I don't know much about their finances, she is very private, as we all are.

I will be blunt with her and ask her pointed questions to determine what options they have.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:51 AM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by Holladay:
Kansas

THANK YOU.

Any help would be great. I don't know much about their finances, she is very private, as we all are.

I will be blunt with her and ask her pointed questions to determine what options they have.
https://www.kdhe.ks.gov/185/KanCare-...utional%20care.

Looks like he'd be eligible under Kansas medicaid as well.
[Reply]
REDHOTGTO 06:14 AM 06-02-2023
ok heres something to try, you say it runs great at idle but not after you are running it while cutting? have you checked the safety switch under the seat ? might be loose or ?
easy check
[Reply]
Holladay 09:49 AM 06-02-2023
yea I checked that.
[Reply]
Boise_Chief 12:08 PM 06-02-2023
Without being able to look at it here are a couple of things.
Re-check the oil under load it could be just at the edge of the low oil sensor. Unlikely.

Mice could have built nests inside your tins.. the metal bits surrounding your engine and it is overheating. Possible...

The pulse line from the crankcase to your fuel pump could have a Crack and is not performing well under load very possible although you may have a fuel injection motor
[Reply]
Holladay 03:31 PM 06-02-2023
Don't think there's mice, but haven't specifically checked.

Oil might be a tad low due me changing out the filter. They just had it changed. I will check non the less.

Have no clue "pulse line". If you mean the fuel hoses from tank to carb are good, yes.

It is carbureted.

I am going to break this b#t*ch yet. You guys have been a BIG help.

This is what makes the CP valuable.
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:47 PM 06-02-2023
Have you tried not letting it die? Seems like if you did that, then it'd run perfect!
[Reply]
Pablo 05:08 PM 06-02-2023
Have you put some NOS on it yet???

[Reply]
Holladay 09:05 PM 06-02-2023
I shot it in its' head in the barn to put it out of its' misery.

BTW, that is what Vickey is wanting to do....

Robert is in La La land.
[Reply]
neech 09:11 PM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by REDHOTGTO:
ok heres something to try, you say it runs great at idle but not after you are running it while cutting? have you checked the safety switch under the seat ? might be loose or ?
easy check
Maybe safety switch needs replaced ?
[Reply]
Holladay 05:58 AM 06-03-2023
I don't think it is electrical. If it was, wouldn't just cut out and no sputtering like is running out of gas? It sputters.

Me thinks replace the carb next.
[Reply]
srvy 07:33 PM 06-03-2023
My money is on the carburetor is gummed up jets clogged. That will cause fuel starvation under power. Also, did the filter o Reiley's guess at match the one that came out when you put it on? It could be too restrictive. Ethanol gas and air-cooled motors don't get along. Stop using it if she is and only use as much gas as it takes to mow your lawn. That's an industrial mower with a tank for cutting sun up to down. That is how you get varnish into the carb. Gas goes bad fairly fast and ethanol is the fastest. Its best if she does not use it. Its hard on fuel lines and internal gas tank screens. That screen could also be a problem if its tasted ethanol. You can take out and clean the carb or buy a Chinaman carb cheaply on Amazon. For a mower that nice I'd go OEM. If it has a fuel shut off shut when shutting down after mowing and let it run until the line is dry and stalls. If that doesn't fix it I would look into the low oil safety switch.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:02 PM 06-03-2023
Originally Posted by Holladay:
I don't think it is electrical. If it was, wouldn't just cut out and no sputtering like is running out of gas? It sputters.

Me thinks replace the carb next.
You'd know if you pulled the plugs right after it dies while running at full throttle. If they're wet it probably isn't a gas problem.
[Reply]
Holladay 05:43 AM 06-04-2023
Good points all around. She is getting frustrated (not at me, Robert). I have done all I can at this point and Vicky is just going to park it at this juncture. She has a neighbor down the road that helps her out.

I will use all this information to further work this out later.

CP is KINGS!!!!
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:21 AM 06-04-2023
Something I haven't heard mentioned yet is the anti-backfire valve on the bottom of the carburetor; it's a spring loaded electromagnet which pulls a plunger down to allow fuel to be brought into the jet of the carburetor. If this is defective or has a bad ground, it could be only partially retracting which would allow some fuel into the main jet however under load, it would starve for fuel. Many times, you can simply replace this with a bolt to hold the carburetor bowl in place. It is energized while the engine ignition is ON.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up