ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>What are next offseason's priorities?
Couch-Potato 04:23 PM 05-06-2023
I'm curious what we foresee being next offseasons priorities?

I think we might be deeper than we've ever been, currently. We've had a plethora of draft picks in the last two seasons and I'm not sure we have a single hole on the roster.

I'm assuming we extend C Jones, and have enough to pay Sneed and Gay. I suppose we'll be looking to replace Thuney and find an eventual replacement for Kelce, but we seem pretty stacked and I'm wondering if next year we have enough assets and cap space built up to take a swing at an elite weapon?

What do you guys think?
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:53 AM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by Chargem:
CJ is not on the roster in 2024, so it’s not an extension and there’s no way cap space can be higher and sign him. You can do what you want in terms of splitting his hits over whatever contract he gets, but on the size of deal he is going to get giving him a tiny, sub 10m cap hit on the first year of a deal would be short sighted.

The problem with re-signing Gay is not his contract, it’s so you want to also sign Bolton the next year and have ~20m per year invested in 4 linebackers in 2025?
I’m not sure I see any reason we can’t pay ~$21m for sneed, gay, and Bolton at ~$7m each + sign CJ. Not sure we’d have much room to play with elsewhere but those are all high caliber players worth retaining imo.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:55 AM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
An elite safety with range would really help the defense.

Speed at WR.
I’m confident that we’re cycling quality young talent at these positions. If we can continue to hit on our draft picks maybe we could find another star like Sneed or Hill.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:59 AM 05-07-2023
Part of thinks adding just one elite offense weapon would be the cherry on top for this team. We’re super deep! I saw D Cook projected to us and I’m not sure that’s the right fit, but someone like Hyatt or Gibbs in next years draft would be fun.
[Reply]
Chargem 10:24 AM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I’m not sure I see any reason we can’t pay ~$21m for sneed, gay, and Bolton at ~$7m each + sign CJ. Not sure we’d have much room to play with elsewhere but those are all high caliber players worth retaining imo.
in 2025, Creed, Trey are done with their rookie deals, and Justin Reed and MVS are also free agents again and Toney will be on his 5th year option, which as a 1st round pick will not be cheap. It's the problem with having a couple of successful drafts in a row (although a nice problem to have overall).

You can't pay all of these guys the market rate for their performance, you start spending $20m a year on linebackers in 2025 then you probably can't afford to be paying Creed, Trey and Taylor their market value on the Oline and actually have any weapons.

Just looking at 2024 in isolation, the cap situation looks great but it takes a turn pretty quick in 2025.
[Reply]
bigjosh 10:58 AM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
If we have $45m in cap, and can get more if we extend CJ, then I don't see why we wouldn't pay $7m for Gay and Sneed each. You'd still have $30m to spend on, well, anything you want and there's no glaring needs.

Theres zero chance sneed signs for 7m per.

He is one of the best corners in the league.

Ward signed for 13.5m AAV, and sneed is a better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Chargem 11:29 AM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
Theres zero chance sneed signs for 7m per.

He is one of the best corners in the league.

Ward signed for 13.5m AAV, and sneed is a better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seemed low to me too, but that's what Spotrac has. They used contracts from Mike Hilton, Shaq Griffin, Rasul Douglas, DJ Reed as comps to get to the 7.5m figure.

Every Chiefs fan would agree Sneed is better than Ward, but I wonder if "pure outside corner" attracts a higher pricetag than Sneed's inside/versatility
[Reply]
Dante84 12:14 PM 05-07-2023
I think we’re at a point (hopefully) where next year it’s less about hole-filling and more about upgrading starters with studs, where possible.

Would be fun to make a splash with an offensive weapon in the draft.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:44 PM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by Chargem:
in 2025, Creed, Trey are done with their rookie deals, and Justin Reed and MVS are also free agents again and Toney will be on his 5th year option, which as a 1st round pick will not be cheap. It's the problem with having a couple of successful drafts in a row (although a nice problem to have overall).

You can't pay all of these guys the market rate for their performance, you start spending $20m a year on linebackers in 2025 then you probably can't afford to be paying Creed, Trey and Taylor their market value on the Oline and actually have any weapons.

Just looking at 2024 in isolation, the cap situation looks great but it takes a turn pretty quick in 2025.
You let Reid and MVS walk. You cut Thuney. You keep Creed for sure and can probably keep Smith. You extend Toney if he's proven able to keep healthy. You might well let Bolton and Gay go if Chenal can man MLB, and he probably can with little to no drop-off. They should draft a WILL next year and a SAM.

Sneed you keep unless Connor is a major hit.

It'll be ok as long as you hit on a few of these picks.
[Reply]
Chargem 02:57 PM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
You let Reid and MVS walk. You cut Thuney. You keep Creed for sure and can probably keep Smith. You extend Toney if he's proven able to keep healthy. You might well let Bolton and Gay go if Chenal can man MLB, and he probably can with little to no drop-off. They should draft a WILL next year and a SAM.

Sneed you keep unless Connor is a major hit.

It'll be ok as long as you hit on a few of these picks.
My personal plan would mostly be in line with this. I'd consider cutting MVS next year for the 2m dead, depending on how Moore, Rice, Ross, Toney show out this year.

Reid can walk.

I think I would keep Thuney for 2025, and I would re-sign both Creed and Trey, their first year lower cap hits would overlap with Thuney's final year and then you look to get cheaper at LG after Thuney leaves/retires

I think the Chiefs probably keep Bolton and Sneed, and let Gay walk (or maybe bring back the cheaper of Gay and Tranquil on a sensible deal?).

No idea what to think about Toney yet, reserving judgement until seeing him play for another year. No idea if he's a WR1 or a replaceable gadget guy.

Doing all that, I think the team still looks great, obviously our opinions on these players could change in another year. I think the future looks good, but there still probably isn't room to throw 20m+ at a premier weapon for the 2024 season, even though the intial cap space number looks nice for 2024.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:26 PM 05-07-2023
I’d say at the moment a speed WR for sure to replace MVS, a safety to replace Reid and another backer.

I don’t think we cut Thuney until 2025 so maybe a IOL on day 3

Another versatile corner is probably a need. If Sneed isn’t signed to an extension this summer I think he hits the market and get overpaid.
[Reply]
poolboy 04:52 PM 05-07-2023
Why is Sneed gone? do we have insight on what he might be wanting?
[Reply]
Dante84 05:13 PM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by poolboy:
Why is Sneed gone? do we have insight on what he might be wanting?
I think it’s based what we did with Ward, and at that time we had even less depth. If the sophomores continue to play well, and the rookies look good too, I could see it happen.

That, plus his 3 concussions in the last couple years, and maybe they’d be willing to let him walk over some of the other dudes who need to get paid.

I should note that I love Sneed and his open field tackling is just phenomenal. Only so much money to go around.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:11 PM 05-07-2023
LT and DT.

WR and TE.
[Reply]
O.city 06:54 AM 05-08-2023
At this point, whatever potential holes we have may end up strengths.

Just so hard to tell. No clue who develops or falls off etc.
[Reply]
JPH83 07:01 AM 05-08-2023
I guess it depends how we're looking at it. There's potential gaps because guys move on, and then there's potential gaps because guys don't step up and we need replacements. For example OT and WR could be negligible priorities next year, or they could be major ones. The value of hitting on a WR means, for me, it's a position you want to try for almost every year in rounds 1-3. So irrespective of the roster I'm prioritising that most years.

I'd say DT because we are VERY thin there, and I think finding just an above average guy alongside Jones extends his career and increases his impact immensely. I think Gay goes and possibly Sneed, though I'd probably prioritise keeping the latter. And then safety and TE could be sneaky needs. We need to round out those rooms and prepare for Kelce slowing down. Oh and we need to reload at G too!

So I'd say first OT could be a big priority. If it's not then I'd be looking at LB to cover Gay and possibly Tranquil both going. I'd probably try and add a solid DT in FA as loads are coming on to the market. Lots of LBs coming on to but I feel we draft well there. So I'd probably say priorities are.

DT - FA
WR - R1-2 draft
LB - R2-3 draft (though also lots in FA)
IOL - R3-4 draft (nothing in FA)
TE - R4-5 draft
BPA - final rounds of draft, probably more DL and CBs!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up