ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Nic Jones Thread*****
Dante84 04:40 PM 04-29-2023
More to come!

Check out the #Chiefs' newest cornerback, @Showout_NJ.

(Via @MillerLite) pic.twitter.com/c86uOBcQS3

— KC Sports Network (@KCSportsNetwork) April 29, 2023

[Reply]
MVChiefFan 05:50 PM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I was pretty vocal about not liking the Conner pick. If he or this dude turn out decent then I kind of give up second guessing these guys on DBs.
No offense, but you should have given up second guessing after last year, or the year before, or the year before that. Veach is straight gangsta!
[Reply]
jjchieffan 08:07 PM 05-07-2023
I can't believe all of the bickering over a 7th round pick. I know that we've gotten spoiled by Veach hitting on late round picks, but that's certainly not the norm. For 20 years of Carl Peterson picks, I barely even looked at who was drafted in the last 3 rounds because most of them wound up getting cut by the end of camp and very few that made final cuts ever amounted to crap. Brandon Carr sticks out because he was one of those few. With Veach, except in 2018, if he drafts them they're probably making the team and being a contributor. So, if he drafted Jones in the 7th, I'm going to trust his judgement. If he misses. Oh well, he's still way above average on hits and nobody is going to get them all right
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:25 PM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
I can't believe all of the bickering over a 7th round pick. I know that we've gotten spoiled by Veah hitting on late round picks, but that's certainly not the norm. For 20 years of Carl Peterson picks, I barely even looked at who was drafted in the last 3 rounds because most of them wound up getting cut by the end of camp and very few that made final cuts ever amounted to crap. Brandon Carr sticks out because he was one of those few. With Veach, except in 2018, if he drafts them they're probably making the team and being a contributor. So, if he drafted Jones in the 7th, I'm going to trust his judgement. If he misses. Oh well, he's still way above average on hits and nobody is going to get them all right
I chalk it up to 50 years of suck. It can be hard to break that cycle of thought. The other side of the coin is not being able to appreciate what you've got after that 50 years of suck.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:57 PM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by MVChiefFan:
No offense, but you should have given up second guessing after last year, or the year before, or the year before that. Veach is straight gangsta!
None taken, but I refuse to learn!
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:10 PM 05-15-2023

Congrats to our client @Showout_NJ on agreeing to a 4 year contract with KC chiefs ��

— JL Sports (@JLSports3) May 16, 2023

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:32 PM 05-15-2023
I was pretty vocal about not liking the Conner pick. If he or this dude turn out decent then I kind of give up second guessing these guys on DBs.
How do you not like the Conner pick?
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:41 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
There are mid-round picks like Sneed who people knew about and thus they were well received when the selections were made. And there are picks like Conner that people don't know much about, and they read a Lance Zierlein write-up and see his prospect grade and start freaking out that we drafted him in the 4th.

People had the same reactions to Rashad Fenton, who, yeah, we traded, but the guy was a freakin 6th round CB and played a valuable depth role in winning SB 54 and was a decent 3rd/4th CB. Or Mike Danna. People had no fucking clue who he was and turned their noses up at him.

I've learned to just trust Veach and also keep in mind that not every pick is going to be a big winner. He's going to take his guys in the draft, and quite a few of them have worked out relative to their draft position. So just let him work his magic and don't freak out if Conner isn't very good.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:43 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
There are mid-round picks like Sneed who people knew about and thus they were well received when the selections were made. And there are picks like Conner that people don't know much about, and they read a Lance Zierlein write-up and see his prospect grade and start freaking out that we drafted him in the 4th.

People had the same reactions to Rashad Fenton, who, yeah, we traded, but the guy was a freakin 6th round CB and played a valuable depth role in winning SB 54 and was a decent 3rd/4th CB. Or Mike Danna. People had no ****ing clue who he was and turned their noses up at him.

I've learned to just trust Veach and also keep in mind that not every pick is going to be a big winner. He's going to take his guys in the draft, and quite a few of them have worked out relative to their draft position. So just let him work his magic and don't freak out if Conner isn't very good.
Conner seems like a perfect fit. I'm not sure what's not to like.
[Reply]
MVChiefFan 09:53 PM 05-15-2023
Conner seems like a perfect fit. I'm not sure what's not to like.
Yep! Unless someone has some sort of weird “inside information” about the guy, it’s an odd pick to hate.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:56 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by MVChiefFan:
Yep! Unless someone has some sort of weird “inside information” about the guy, it’s an odd pick to hate.
He's a corner/safety hybrid who might be built to cover TEs.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:00 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

People had the same reactions to Rashad Fenton, who, yeah, we traded, but the guy was a freakin 6th round CB and played a valuable depth role in winning SB 54 and was a decent 3rd/4th CB. Or Mike Danna. People had no ****ing clue who he was and turned their noses up at him.

Looking at the pre draft coverage and what happened in the draft. It was clear the media and actual NFL front offices had different opinions on a lot of the prospects.

Veach has earned the trust of the fanbase particularly when it comes to the defensive backfield.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:18 PM 05-15-2023
The usual stuff. I liked a lot of guys more, including safeties. Limited grading I could find wasn't that impressive. I'd have preferred a safety with range more than someone who looks like a thumper. And given he was pretty low on most boards I'm not THAT convinced he was a guy that we needed to burn a pick to trade up for.

But who knows I certainly don't know s***. I would be amazed if anyone here said he was a guy they were thinking of for that pick. Guess we'll have to see.
[Reply]
Chieftain 01:51 AM 05-16-2023
To me the Conner pick was used mostly to cover a special teams slot which was becoming a position of need. His versatility as a player certainly helps where he can fill in at safety if injuries piled up.
[Reply]
JPH83 05:39 AM 05-16-2023
The usual stuff. I liked a lot of guys more, including safeties. Limited grading I could find wasn't that impressive. I'd have preferred a safety with range more than someone who looks like a thumper. And given he was pretty low on most boards I'm not THAT convinced he was a guy that we needed to burn a pick to trade up for.

But who knows I certainly don't know s***. I would be amazed if anyone here said he was a guy they were thinking of for that pick. Guess we'll have to see.
Lol, some people really love to downvote. Weird
[Reply]
JPH83 06:36 AM 05-16-2023
Originally Posted by Chieftain:
To me the Conner pick was used mostly to cover a special teams slot which was becoming a position of need. His versatility as a player certainly helps where he can fill in at safety if injuries piled up.
I could see him being a ST mainly guy this year just because as you say that's where there is a need and a spot. Given the draft capital used and the fact Veach and that area scout were glowing about him, and considering a 3rd round pick on him, you've got to think they're then looking for him to develop into a far more subtantial role.

I think Pitt Gorilla may be right that the thinking is he covers TEs. I think it's a fair evaluation that TEs occasionally had their way with us over the middle. Seems like Tranquill was brought in for that, but perhaps they see Conner as a longer-term/different option to shut that down. Makes sense to me. The one question I have with our DBs though is long-speed. Sneed has it even if he sometimes switches off. Reid and Cook seem pretty fast but neither look like they have Thornhill's wheels, even after his injury. In an ideal world I'd like there to be one more guy back there with elite speed and/or lateral quickness, but maybe I'm underestimating Cook and Reid. Really we've got everything else.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up