ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 74 of 112
« First < 24647071727374 7576777884 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign UDFA Justyn Ross
ShowtimeSBMVP 10:28 AM 05-02-2022

Clemson WR Justyn Ross is signing with the #Chiefs to their 90-man roster, per source.

Ross led the ACC in receiving as a freshman in 2018, ranked fifth nationally with 21.7 YPC and was second in receiving touchdowns. He also stands 6-3, 210 pounds. High quality addition for

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) May 2, 2022

[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:03 PM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I for one will never question a Chiefs draft pick as long as Andy Reid and/or Brett Veach are involved in that process.
But you'll question them signing an UDFA, paying for a corrective surgery, and keeping him into a second off-season because he ran a 4.87 in highschool and is not an NFL caliber talent.

See what I am saying?

What I'm NOT saying is that Justyn Ross is a star in the making. I have no idea, and he's a long shot for a lot of reasons, namely the injury history and how that has affected his ability to play much football at all for YEARS now.

It's a long shot, and you don't have to make bad faith arguments to prove it.

Nobody that I have seen is claiming anything else, just rooting for the kid as it's a good story.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:06 PM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
And see, im not worried about his injury history all that much because he doesn't really have one.

The spinal injury wasn't football related, it was a corrective surgery.

So the only (that im aware of) injury that he's really had on the field was the foot.

One foot injury does not make for a broke dick player.

You won't find me in the camp of, "We can't count on Justyn Ross to stay healthy". Im not worried about that at all until shown otherwise.
Well, I agree with you there again, but the neck and foot have cost him like three years of football development. And THAT is probably the biggest strike against the kid.
There's a damned big hill to climb.
[Reply]
DenverChief 04:58 PM 06-02-2023
Watson can return kicks. Ross can't. Watson has vertical speed. Ross doesn't.

These are different kinda guys here, and Watson brings more as a WR6 than Ross does, theoretically.

Ross is really going to have to be special.

And i can't imagine the Chiefs carrying 7 WRs.
Where have you seen one shred of evidence of this?

In 5 years he has 7 PR for 42 yards and 2 KO returns for 19 yards - they put Skyy Moore out to take the punt in the AFCCG (on a hope and a prayer of no fumbles) rather than ole reliable Watson?
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:06 PM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by DenverChief:
Where have you seen one shred of evidence of this?

Last season when he did it a hand full of times for the Chiefs.

they put Skyy Moore out to take the punt in the AFCCG (on a hope and a prayer of no fumbles) rather than ole reliable Watson?
Because Watson wasn't active IIRC. Illness.
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:07 PM 06-02-2023
BUT, as someone else pointed out, maybe that skill won't carry as much weight considering the new league rules and all.
[Reply]
DenverChief 05:15 PM 06-02-2023
As far as I'm concerned:

Toney
MVS
Moore
Rice
James (Primary KO/PR)

are locks to make the roster which means that the following will be fought out for the final roster spot(s) (IDK if they carry 7 WR's if the talent is there or stick with 6)

Ross jr vs Smith-Marsette (BU KO/PR duties)
Watson vs Ross sr (off the bench speed/depth)

Camp fodder is Cornell Powell, Nikko Remigio and Ty Fryfogle

IF they keep Deneric Prince on the roster (who has extensive KO/PR duties) I could see Watson getting the nod
[Reply]
DenverChief 05:25 PM 06-02-2023
BUT, as someone else pointed out, maybe that skill won't carry as much weight considering the new league rules and all.
That was just KO's tho?
[Reply]
DenverChief 05:28 PM 06-02-2023
Chiefsplanet on Justyn Ross, "32 NFL teams didn't do their homework and realize he was playing on an injured foot! That's why he went undrafted! No one realized how athletic he was because they didn't consider his injured foot! REEEEEEEEEE!"

Meanwhile, the Chiefs just traded UP in the 2nd to draft a WR (Rashee Rice) who played almost all of last season on....you guessed it...AN INJURED FOOT

...**** outta here with that noise. You got me started.

I can hear this :-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:42 PM 06-02-2023
That was just KO's tho?
No, I'm pretty sure in the Rams game after Moore botched a punt, they put Watson back there for the rest of the game.

dude's just a serviceable pro. He doesn't move the needle but he doesn't hurt you wherever you put him. He had that couple of games in which he had the dropsies, but other than that, he's been perfectly fine as a depth guy.

I expect he'll be the same or better in year two of the offense.

I'll say this-if Watson can't make this squad, that's really good fucking news.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:51 PM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Rashee Rice could shoot your dog and you couldn't root against him.

I don't think you're capable of rooting against a Chief.
Weren't we all rooting for Bob Sutton to fucking die or some shit to get him off our staff?
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:00 PM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Weren't we all rooting for Bob Sutton to fucking die or some shit to get him off our staff?
I still am
[Reply]
DenverChief 10:03 PM 06-02-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
No, I'm pretty sure in the Rams game after Moore botched a punt, they put Watson back there for the rest of the game.

dude's just a serviceable pro. He doesn't move the needle but he doesn't hurt you wherever you put him. He had that couple of games in which he had the dropsies, but other than that, he's been perfectly fine as a depth guy.

I expect he'll be the same or better in year two of the offense.

I'll say this-if Watson can't make this squad, that's really good ****ing news.
I was referring to the rule changes.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:06 AM 06-03-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
But you'll question them signing an UDFA, paying for a corrective surgery, and keeping him into a second off-season because he ran a 4.87 in highschool and is not an NFL caliber talent.

See what I am saying?

What I'm NOT saying is that Justyn Ross is a star in the making. I have no idea, and he's a long shot for a lot of reasons, namely the injury history and how that has affected his ability to play much football at all for YEARS now.

It's a long shot, and you don't have to make bad faith arguments to prove it.

Nobody that I have seen is claiming anything else, just rooting for the kid as it's a good story.
I'm not questioning them. They're not coming out here and saying "wow Justyn is going to crack the starting lineup." They literally haven't lost out on anything by keeping him around. He's not taking up a roster spot, costs basically nothing, and didn't cost a draft pick. How do my thoughts on an UDFA contradict what I said about them and the draft? There was no risk. None. What bad faith arguments have I made? He's never been some great athlete.

There are plenty of people in this thread that are giddy about Ross, especially before he missed basically all of last off-season.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:47 AM 06-03-2023
I'm not questioning them. They're not coming out here and saying "wow Justyn is going to crack the starting lineup." They literally haven't lost out on anything by keeping him around. He's not taking up a roster spot, costs basically nothing, and didn't cost a draft pick. How do my thoughts on an UDFA contradict what I said about them and the draft? There was no risk. None. What bad faith arguments have I made? He's never been some great athlete.

There are plenty of people in this thread that are giddy about Ross, especially before he missed basically all of last off-season.
You've argued that he's not an NFL athlete several times. You've brought up the high school 40 time several times. You've brought up the 4.63 pro day 40 time several times, even though we now know he ran it on a botched surgery and the foot required another surgery to get it right.

People are giddy because they see what he did as a freshman, which is understandable, but the kid hasn't played a lot of football since, so they ought to cool their jets a bit - but there's intriguing possibility there without a doubt. He's not a typical UDFA talent.

He's got a big hill to climb because he missed a lot of football development.

That's about as even handed an opinion as I can give, and it seems to be right where Veach and Reid are at. I think if you're too far either way on the kid you're off base.

Rooting for him to succeed is just being a fan and loving an underdog story.
[Reply]
warpaint* 07:08 AM 06-03-2023

Hopefully he bucks the odds but betting on it is a fool's folly.

He was an UDFA for a reason. The Chiefs are in for a penny ante IDK why this thread is 74 pages long.
[Reply]
Page 74 of 112
« First < 24647071727374 7576777884 > Last »
Up