ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 33
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:54 AM 07-09-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
There is just so much good stuff to mull over from this episode that I am still soaking it in. I mean, that is how you do a season ender, holy shit. I might go back and watch the entire season again. One of the things I liked about the episode that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that it really hammers home exactly why Spock did (will do) what he did (does) for Pike in The Menagerie. It's not just loyalty. It's not just friendship. It's a debt of honor that must be repaid and damn the costs or consequences. The showrunners have taken a throwaway pilot that was repurposed for budget reasons (IIRC) and just exploded from that starting point.
I"ve been strongly considering re-watching the whole season. Just packed full of fan service done in a way that just fit right into the episodes with nothing feeling forced or like it was done for fan service.

If the awards were done in a fair way, a bunch should end up with the cast, writers, and director of this series.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:07 AM 07-09-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
I"ve been strongly considering re-watching the whole season. Just packed full of fan service done in a way that just fit right into the episodes with nothing feeling forced or like it was done for fan service.

If the awards were done in a fair way, a bunch should end up with the cast, writers, and director of this series.
Yeah. I normally don't do rewatches like that but I'm really tempted and it's probably going to be a long wait for the next season. I watched each episode of ST:TOS so many times as a kid that I could do a full on synopsis of every one within just a few seconds of the opening. Drove my sister nuts.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:54 PM 07-09-2022
I think at this point we can dispense with spoilers.

Another thing I've noticed in additional viewing, as well as another watch of the original Balance of Terror, is that Peck's voice and portrayal of Spock in the alternate timeline is much closer to that of Nimoy's portrayal. Another interesting little change that I didn't pick up on right away.

Again, that makes me wonder why they didn't do the same with the alternate Kirk, who bears almost no similarity to Shatner's Kirk. But again, a minor point at best. I wonder if they tried it and it just didn't work.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:46 PM 07-09-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I think at this point we can dispense with spoilers.

Another thing I've noticed in additional viewing, as well as another watch of the original Balance of Terror, is that Peck's voice and portrayal of Spock in the alternate timeline is much closer to that of Nimoy's portrayal. Another interesting little change that I didn't pick up on right away.

Again, that makes me wonder why they didn't do the same with the alternate Kirk, who bears almost no similarity to Shatner's Kirk. But again, a minor point at best. I wonder if they tried it and it just didn't work.
Spock in the season finale episode is much closer to the Spock of ST:TOS, it's seven years forward from 'current day' for the show. It really comes across clearly in the tea-not-coffee scene. Also, the actor playing Kirk made the conscious decision not to imitate Shatner (IIRC) basically saying that any attempt would just be a mockery.
[Reply]
listopencil 09:48 PM 07-09-2022
Although I do wish they had gone for a better physical similarity for Kirk, and Uhura as well. Nichelle Nichols was smoking hot and this girl just isn't.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:06 PM 07-09-2022
Although I do wish they had gone for a better physical similarity for Kirk, and Uhura as well. Nichelle Nichols was smoking hot and this girl just isn't.
I would have preferred it had they given her a hairstyle like Nichols had in the original series. Maybe the actress didn't want to wear a wig. Who knows?
[Reply]
Frazod 11:26 PM 07-09-2022
And while she may not be as pretty as young Nichelle was, she certainly looks better with hair.

It takes a seriously hot woman to rock a fucking crew cut. And she definitely isn't that.
[Reply]
Jamie 01:48 PM 07-10-2022
I really didn't like they guy they cast as Kirk. He didn't look or sound like Kirk, and didn't have the charisma either. Say what you will about the JJ movies, Chris Pine did at least have the charisma to pull it off.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:14 PM 07-10-2022
Originally Posted by Jamie:
I really didn't like they guy they cast as Kirk. He didn't look or sound like Kirk, and didn't have the charisma either. Say what you will about the JJ movies, Chris Pine did at least have the charisma to pull it off.
Can’t really disagree with this. Pine wasn’t really Shatner-like either, but he had the passion and charisma needed to pull off the role. This guy is pretty wooden.

It was Mount that really sold that episode. Great performance.
[Reply]
listopencil 04:20 PM 07-10-2022
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Yeah. There wasn't really anything special about him. Nothing compelling. His screen presence was on par with the guy playing his brother and the characters only had some minor differences in personality. There are several actors playing regulars on the series who would steal scenes from him constantly if he he was on the show.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:39 PM 07-10-2022
I actually like the guy who plays Sam. He's kind of a low rent Sam Rockwell from Galaxy Quest. But he wouldn't be anymore suitable to play Kirk than this guy is.

Ironically, in the TOS episode where Sam was shown dead, it was just Shatner sporting a cheesy mustache.
[Reply]
listopencil 05:16 PM 07-10-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I actually like the guy who plays Sam. He's kind of a low rent Sam Rockwell from Galaxy Quest. But he wouldn't be anymore suitable to play Kirk than this guy is.

Ironically, in the TOS episode where Sam was shown dead, it was just Shatner sporting a cheesy mustache.
Makes me wonder if the show runners had a bias towards casting Kirk a certain way, conscious or unconscious. Because the existence of Kirk is a marker for the end of this show.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:24 AM 07-11-2022
Finally got caught up. Agreed with others. Fantastic last episode. Definitely the best "Star Trek" that's been put on streaming.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:10 PM 07-11-2022
Makes me wonder if the show runners had a bias towards casting Kirk a certain way, conscious or unconscious. Because the existence of Kirk is a marker for the end of this show.
Maybe. Or perhaps they kept him bland so he wouldn't steal Mount's thunder.

I guess my biggest problem with this Kirk is that he was too calm and deferential. Sam went on and on about what a pain in the ass he was, but he really wasn't. Remember when original Kirk went up against Commodore Decker in Doomsday Machine? When Decker put his ship at risk, he got pissed and gave not one fuck about the senior rank. Had they both been on the Enterprise, Kirk would have probably beat his ass and dragged him to the brig himself, regulations be damned. There would have been none of Spock's tapdancing around regulations. In this one, Pike's inaction actually did cost him his ship and obviously the lives of many of his crew. New Kirk barely seemed bothered; IMO he would have reacted to that much like Decker himself did when the Constellation was defeated. Simply put, Shatner's Kirk would have lost his shit.

[Grabbing Pike by the throat] YOU... DIDN'T FIRE! FARRAGUT... IS LOST... BECAUSE OF YOU! [punches Pike, knocks him on his ass]
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:43 PM 07-11-2022
Finally got to watching the finale, that was excellent. Certainly the best in a season with some other very good episodes.

I think I can also safely say now that it's over that this was the best first season of any Trek series since TOS itself, which is a pretty incredible achievement considering how mediocre to downright terrible some of what has been produced since its revival five years ago. The franchise is very much alive again with the introduction of this series and I only wish that we could have gotten more of it. My hope is that CBS/Paramount recognizes what they have in SNW and pushes its resources towards it.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 33
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up