Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
F150 08:19 AM 01-13-2022

Eli Wallach, Sergio Leone, Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef
[Reply]
Raiderhater 11:26 AM 05-23-2023
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Clint Eastwood has a bunch of really, really good Westerns and a few that are arguably the best of the genre. I consider him to be the best, over John Wayne.

[Reply]
ptlyon 12:06 PM 05-23-2023
Grit has an all day marathon on Friday of Clint Eastwood movies for his birthday and then Monday of John Wayne for his
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 04:38 PM 05-23-2023
If you look at the best of all time, you can easily end up with a 2 or more with each of Wayne, Leone, and Eastwood in the top 5. Just starting the list with

The Searchers
Stagecoach
Rio Bravo
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Unforgiven
High Noon
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

gets it going well. And There are more that would merit consideration at the very top.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:14 PM 05-23-2023
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
If you look at the best of all time, you can easily end up with a 2 or more with each of Wayne, Leone, and Eastwood in the top 5. Just starting the list with

The Searchers
Stagecoach
Rio Bravo
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Unforgiven
High Noon
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

gets it going well. And There are more that would merit consideration at the very top.

Great list.

It's pretty hard to come up with a top-10 list of Westerns, just because I like the genre so much it's hard for me to nail it down like that.

I could add "High Plains Drifter," or "The Outlaw Josey Wales."

Obviously "Shane."

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"

"True Grit" or "Fort Apache" or "Big Jake"

Has anyone mentioned "Tombstone"?

I put 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" in my top-5 because it was the first Western saga. At least to my knowledge. They took the genre and blew it up into this sweeping epic, and to top it off, the 'hero' wasn't a hero at all, in the traditional sense. Joseph Campbell would call 'Angel Eyes' an anti-hero. And then there was the cinematography, and everything else. Leone changed the way Westerns were written, filmed and told with that movie, which is why i like to put it in the top-5.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 05:41 PM 05-23-2023
High Plains Drifter is a true gem. Eastwood is truly the devil in that one.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 06:08 PM 05-23-2023
One of my absolute favorites is one that never gets any consideration, and I don't expect it to, though it's recognized as a higher quality western, but I love the way they flipped the hero/villain roles in the movie:

No Name On The Bullet
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:32 PM 05-23-2023
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters:
High Plains Drifter is a true gem. Eastwood is truly the devil in that one.
HPD was one of the first westerns I remember watching. Great movie.

I believe that Pale Rider was supposedly the sequel.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:33 PM 05-23-2023

[Reply]
listopencil 02:41 AM 05-24-2023
Originally Posted by Raiderhater:
That really is a great movie. I have to be careful when I watch it because, swear to God, I just want to bellow that line at everyone I see afterwards.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:58 PM 05-24-2023
The Coen Brothers remake of True Grit was infinitely better than the original.

[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:09 PM 05-24-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The Coen Brothers remake of True Grit was infinitely better than the original.

As soon as I saw you had replied to this thread I knew exactly what it was about. Fucker.

Hailee Steinfeld over Kim Darby is the only true upgrade the remake can claim. And admittedly, it was a REALLY big and important upgrade because Darby was an annoying twat. In real life as well - Duke hated his time working with her on that film.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:55 PM 05-24-2023

As soon as I saw you had replied to this thread I knew exactly what it was about. Fucker.

Hailee Steinfeld over Kim Darby is the only true upgrade the remake can claim. And admittedly, it was a REALLY big and important upgrade because Darby was an annoying twat. In real life as well - Duke hated his time working with her on that film.
:-)
[Reply]
srvy 11:23 PM 05-24-2023
That really is a great movie. I have to be careful when I watch it because, swear to God, I just want to bellow that line at everyone I see afterwards.
Kim Darby keeps it out of a top 5 Duke movie. Annoying as all get out. Duval as Lucky Ned Pepper was Great along with Hoppers Moon. Glen casting as La Boeuf was bad but did grow on me. Lawyer Daggett dude and Kim Darby just ruined it.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:05 AM 05-25-2023

Originally Posted by srvy:
Kim Darby keeps it out of a top 5 Duke movie. Annoying as all get out. Duval as Lucky Ned Pepper was Great along with Hoppers Moon. Glen casting as La Boeuf was bad but did grow on me. Lawyer Daggett dude and Kim Darby just ruined it.

I will always like Kim Darby because of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Also, the original worked for me with her having that particular attitude on screen. She was a perfect foil for the blowhard that Wayne played.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 10:59 AM 05-25-2023
I will always like Kim Darby because of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Also, the original worked for me with her having that particular attitude on screen. She was a perfect foil for the blowhard that Wayne played.
You might be the only person alive who likes her in that role. Of course, we can see from your choice of football teams that you are a far cry from having exceptional tastes when it comes to your entertainment.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up