ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
Media Center>Ted Lasso is a good show
BWillie 10:26 AM 09-04-2020
It's on Apple TV so that is kind of a pain in the ass. I always give a watch to the guys who grew up around here (Sudekis, Rudd, Cheadle etc)

A feel good show that is better than I thought, albeit a little corny.

Story: Likable and optimistic D2 football coach gets hired to coach Premier soccer team in England.

[Reply]
KC_Connection 07:15 AM 05-18-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
An hour long bottle episode is the definition of gilding a lily. And I think that was ultimately my biggest issue with it.

Though the idea of an American theme restaurant in Amsterdam is fascinating to me. And yeah, if I'd spent 2+ years living in England (english food suuuuuucks) I'd absolutely go ham there even if it's a lousy facsimile of true Americana.
Bottle episode or not (and I'm not sure it would completely meet that definition, they probably spent more filming on location there than any other episode this season), the Roy/Jamie stuff in the Amsterdam episode was some of the best stuff this show has done period in their entire run.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 07:18 AM 05-18-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
This show has become an introspective drama comprised of several divergent storylines.

Or you know, a bit far away from what made it so great in Season 1.
And this would be exactly the issue. They attempted to do too much in taking this from an amusing sitcom with heart (like a sports Scrubs) into what's effectively now become an hour long prestige drama. It would be one thing if they executed that transition, but it doesn't feel to me that they have.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:33 AM 05-18-2023
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
This show is getting a lot of hate due to all of the LGBTQ+ pandering, but truthfully it's the world we now live in, and I still think the writing is fine.

I still enjoy this show.

The jab at Broncos fans was amazing.
I genuinely wonder if the Anheuser-Busch situation will finally be the catalyst that swings the pendulum back around on folks trying to shove that agenda into everything.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 12:20 PM 05-19-2023
Price Chopper got a mention too.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:43 PM 05-19-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I genuinely wonder if the Anheuser-Busch situation will finally be the catalyst that swings the pendulum back around on folks trying to shove that agenda into everything.
:-)
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:55 PM 05-19-2023
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
:-)
It's a fair question. Do you think this season of Ted Lasso isn't going all out carrying water for the political left? Swapping Keely's sexual orientation? One-siding the UK migrant crisis?
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 01:14 PM 05-19-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
It's a fair question.
I think that question is for CPDC and not the Ted Lasso thread.

Originally Posted by :
Do you think this season of Ted Lasso isn't going all out carrying water for the political left? Swapping Keely's sexual orientation?
You realize that bi/pansexual people can be in committed long term relationships as well, right? First we see her with Jamie then we see her with Roy. We have a 3.5 year glimpse into her life... just because she wasn't smashing pussy from the first episode doesn't mean her sexual orientation was "swapped".

Also... there have been hints in previous seasons like when Rebecca had nudes leaked. ""Holy sh*t Rebecca!... I feel like a teenage boy, I can't stop staring at them!" and "I'd kiss you on the mouth if I could reach those lips.".

Originally Posted by :
One-siding the UK migrant crisis?
I think they are showing what is taking place there from the perspective of one of the players who happens to be a migrant.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:28 PM 05-19-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Bottle episode or not (and I'm not sure it would completely meet that definition, they probably spent more filming on location there than any other episode this season), the Roy/Jamie stuff in the Amsterdam episode was some of the best stuff this show has done period in their entire run.
Undeniably true. The Roy/Jamie bit was great. And has been all season.

It was about the only enjoyable 10 minutes of a 67 minute episode.

Episode 7 was only marginally better, though I did like Ola. He's just a cool character and actor.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 01:56 PM 05-19-2023
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
I think that question is for CPDC and not the Ted Lasso thread.

You realize that bi/pansexual people can be in committed long term relationships as well, right? First we see her with Jamie then we see her with Roy. We have a 3.5 year glimpse into her life... just because she wasn't smashing pussy from the first episode doesn't mean her sexual orientation was "swapped".

Also... there have been hints in previous seasons like when Rebecca had nudes leaked. ""Holy sh*t Rebecca!... I feel like a teenage boy, I can't stop staring at them!" and "I'd kiss you on the mouth if I could reach those lips.".

I think they are showing what is taking place there from the perspective of one of the players who happens to be a migrant.
So when a show that was once a fun fish-out-of-water story about finding positivity in even the most cynical of situations, now gets to trudge into every political topic, folks can't be expected to comment lest they be labeled some kind of right wing nut job? That's just baloney my friend.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:07 PM 05-19-2023
It's a fair question. Do you think this season of Ted Lasso isn't going all out carrying water for the political left? Swapping Keely's sexual orientation? One-siding the UK migrant crisis?
This was, to me, far more ridiculous than anything they did with Keely (who has always been willing to nail pretty much anyone, IMO).

"Well it's from the perspective of a disaffected migrant!!" - um, it isn't a documentary, fellas. It's fiction. It's absolutely an effort at hammering a an empty-chair interview into the storyline.

What did we learn about Sam that we didn't already know from his worries and motivations last season? And it was MUCH better done last season than it has been this season.

I mean unless you intend to bring the chef/girlfriend into the story as a pivotal character and this is a primary plot point (which...shit, they just might), you didn't accomplish ANYTHING from a character development or even story standpoint.

It's was just the writers getting on a soapbox and using Sam, not as a narrator, but as a microphone.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 02:08 PM 05-19-2023
I think they are telling the story they want to tell.

If it isn't the story you want to hear, no one is forcing you.

Personally, I don't feel compelled to finish a series if it is no longer interests me.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 02:15 PM 05-19-2023
So when a show that was once a fun fish-out-of-water story about finding positivity in even the most cynical of situations, now gets to trudge into every political topic, folks can't be expected to comment lest they be labeled some kind of right wing nut job? That's just baloney my friend.
I didn't label you as such so I am *SUPER* confused here. My only interactions with you here have been you replying to my laughing emoji and then my responding, I thought, very politely and conversationally.

He has been the coach of this team for 2.5 seasons... is he still really a fish-out-of-water? To touch on a CPDC subject... something I often hear people complain about immigrants is that they refuse to assimilate into the culture. If we expect people to assimilate when they come here wouldn't it be logical that we do the same when we go elsewhere? I will, though, agree that the tone of the show has changed a bit but we know from the showrunners that this is meant to be a 3 season show and nothing more.

I don't believe this thing with Jack was written in to shove LGBTQ stuff down our throat... it was to give Keely and Roy a happy ending (edit - even if not with one another). If anything... we got to see an LGBTQ person as the villain looking to exploit and control Keely as opposed to being portrayed as the victim of oppression.

We again see an outsider to the UK, and a POC, being played as a villain with Akufo not only being a pompous asshole to absolutely everyone but also trying to squeeze people out of the game they love. On top of it... he also personally fucks with our boy Sam who is doing nothing more than trying to run his restaurant. They are definitely not being one sided here showing exactly why some in the UK fear outsiders.

I think everyone in the world knew Trent was gay from the very first moment he introduced himself so giving him a player to connect to isn't an over-the-top storyline. The only thing it really touched on was his worrying how his team would come to accept it. Isaac taking it personally that Colin didn't come out to him has been on brand for Isaac ever since he took over as team captain from Roy. Dude is intense about everything... especially as it relates to team cohesion.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:17 PM 05-19-2023
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
I think they are telling the story they want to tell.

If it isn't the story you want to hear, no one is forcing you.

Personally, I don't feel compelled to finish a series if it is no longer interests me.
I wish we weren't going to finish it (I don't want to be a blip on their metrics to inform them that what they are doing has garnered my approval). But my wife is a political normie and doesn't view life through the same lense. I roll my eyes at some of the stuff here and she has has no clue as to why. So if the show wants to trudge in it, it's fair game as far as I'm concerned to bring up as a talking point as to why it's nowhere near the show it was in season 1.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:17 PM 05-19-2023
To lighten the mood in here:

My wife had a role in the latest episode. She was the receptionist in the Roy Kent t-shirt scene at the facility. Her friend was the assistant coach in the next frame. She got to spend time on set with most of the cast and then went for drinks and an Arsenal game the next day with Jason and the actor (Brendan) who plays Beard.

Absolutely amazing experience for her.

(I agree that the show is declining in enjoyment, but they knew enough to walk away in a short 3 seasons so I don’t begrudge them for going out how they wanted. I’ll remember this show fondly when all is said and done.)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:45 PM 05-19-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
And this would be exactly the issue. They attempted to do too much in taking this from an amusing sitcom with heart (like a sports Scrubs) into what's effectively now become an hour long prestige drama. It would be one thing if they executed that transition, but it doesn't feel to me that they have.
I actually think this season has been very good IF every episode cut all the storylines in half. That probably also gets back to the right balance between comedy and drama. I'm actually glad theyre calling it early rather than shows that strung it out too long. But they're obviously trying to wrap up a million story lines in one season. Kind of reminds me of the beginning of the last season of game of thrones. Trying to cram way too much into each episode
[Reply]
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
Up