ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Media Center>Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
TwistedChief 07:29 PM 12-20-2018
I'll admit that I don't think CP is a place that would normally appreciate a show like this that's based on 1950s/1960s Jews in NYC. But - it's on Amazon Prime and the second season was just released, and it's the most brilliantly written show I've ever encountered wherever you come from. Smart, funny, EVERYTHING. Incredible casting.

My top five all time that this is trying to break into (as perspective):

Seinfeld
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror

If this gets one of you gentiles to consider watching, I'll say it's a success.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:57 PM 05-05-2023
This season - the final one - is absolutely amazing.

I got a chance to talk with Kevin Pollack (Moishe Maisel) last year at the Big Slick and he told me that this show was the best, most cohesive group he's ever worked with. And he's obviously been in almost everything.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 07:01 PM 05-05-2023
Not digging the future segments
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:12 PM 05-05-2023
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
Not digging the future segments
Have you seen the roast???????

Not possible to dislike this episode. Episode 6.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 08:33 PM 05-05-2023
Ep.6 did a lot of story telling. I was almost wondering if it was the finale because it tied off a bunch of plot strings.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:23 PM 05-05-2023
Wow.

Credit to y'all - I believe I quit in season 3. She spent the summer in the Hampton's or something. It got real bad, real fast.

Did it get better or is it just not my thing?
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:49 PM 05-05-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wow.

Credit to y'all - I believe I quit in season 3. She spent the summer in the Hampton's or something. It got real bad, real fast.

It got better about the time her dad showed up the comedy club in the Catskills.

I almost quit at the “we’re going to the Catskills!” Musical number. Woof. But it didn’t take long for it to pick up.

But it’s good. Some things are pretty clown showish. A lot of the jokes are legitimately funny. And for ever bit of clown, they bring it back and land the plane. The end of last season with Lenny and Midge at Carnegie Hall is just damned fine television. Of any genre. Ever. If you can sit through the season and get to that point and feel nothing, get to the ER. You’re dead as fuck.

Every scene with Lenny and Joel are good. And when it’s serious every one with Susie and Midge are good too. And there is periodically some compelling stuff from the parents.

If for no other reason, tune back in for Brosnahan. She makes being beautiful effortless. She’s not the best looking girl in the world but when they have her put together, she looks wonderful. And it’s effortless. I’m betting she’s not an athlete, but she moves so easily and gracefully. Some of that is the camera, but if you apply that camera work to my ogre ass self, still an ogre. Call it what it is. I’m smitten. But she’s worth the price of admission if the rest of it doesn’t work.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:51 PM 05-05-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Have you seen the roast???????

Not possible to dislike this episode. Episode 6.
It was fantastic. I’m not sure I like the fast forward element, but that’s probably as well executed as I’ve seen. And a lot of those roast jokes were funnier than the actual roasts I watched.

But I’ll be damned if the video didn’t hit me in the feels.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 04:47 AM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wow.

Let me put it in some terms you might understand:

The show has essentially followed the career arc of Frank Clark. Comes in with a bang, wins awards, then hits some nadir and you choose to cancel it, but then comes up big in the finale and rides off into the sunset to much fanfare.

I thought seasons 1-2 were amazing, 3 good, 4 not as good, and 5 feels like 1-3 again.

(Disclaimer: I’m a Jew who lived in NYC for almost 20 years.)
[Reply]
TwistedChief 04:48 AM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It was fantastic. I’m not sure I like the fast forward element, but that’s probably as well executed as I’ve seen. And a lot of those roast jokes were funnier than the actual roasts I watched.

But I’ll be damned if the video didn’t hit me in the feels.
Yup, I cried. They really set you up the entire episode for that.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 05:37 AM 05-06-2023
This season is by far the best in 3 years. Actually for me though, season 4 was the only one that I found kind of tedious.

I absolutely love the way they are approaching this season. It's a unique way to wrap up the story with the future bits interspersed with the "here and now" of the 60's. After watching last night, I looked at my wife and was like "this is absolutely amazing".

Since last night was the Suzi episode, (and the end of the roast video was legit "dust in the air" stuff...) I predict next will be her folks, then Joel, then the last one will be just Midge.

This show is great. And it's one I'll come back to watch a lot.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 08:34 AM 05-06-2023
I just love Tony Shalhoub in about anything he does. He has always made me laugh. The rest of the cast is pretty talented too.

The scene from ep.4 (?) where she worked the waste handlers musical presentation at the manufacturers expo. Wow. That was a true work of art in itself.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:57 PM 05-19-2023
Fuck me episode 8 is fantastic.

That Shaloub scene is real. Like real fucking chops man. I didn’t know this show had that note in it. Well done.

The Midge and Suzie scene was really good too. Nothing like the Midge and Lenny scene from the last season. But it was really good. And probably that or the Hedy scene is the best acting she’s done.

All of it hit. The stuff with Joel, the stuff from college. It all worked. I mean the vacuuming the dorm thing was campy as hell but funny if anyone has ever experienced drunk alumni.

But man. The stuff that hit…fucking HIT man.

What a great episode.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:00 PM 05-21-2023
This shit is still going...jeezus. One season was enough to never think about it again.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:43 PM 05-21-2023
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
This shit is still going...jeezus. One season was enough to never think about it again.
Simple minded gentile bitch.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:47 PM 05-21-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Fuck me episode 8 is fantastic.

That Shaloub scene is real. Like real fucking chops man. I didn’t know this show had that note in it. Well done.

The Midge and Suzie scene was really good too. Nothing like the Midge and Lenny scene from the last season. But it was really good. And probably that or the Hedy scene is the best acting she’s done.

All of it hit. The stuff with Joel, the stuff from college. It all worked. I mean the vacuuming the dorm thing was campy as hell but funny if anyone has ever experienced drunk alumni.

But man. The stuff that hit…fucking HIT man.

What a great episode.
Yup, it was a good one. I also really like the Gordon Ford character. He’s done a great job of filling the Lenny Bruce role.

Such a smart and fun show.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up