« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Media Center>Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Hammock Parties 01:46 PM 12-10-2007
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

*NERDGASM*

[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:37 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
So you've cataloged and judged all of his other cues over the years?

Film cues and themes aren't supposed to be stand-alone music. Sometimes, in the case of the "Star Wars" Opening Theme or "Jaws" the "Rocky" theme, the music transcends the film.

But that is certainly not the intent of the producers, director or composer.
I have a great many of his work. And I realize they aren't supposed to be "stand-alone music." And often times, the image makes the music that much better. I'll wait and see, as always, but from a pure musical standpoint, it's not as good as any of his others, in my opinion.

And it seems people are mixing up the song I do and don't care for and what I have and haven't said about.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:38 PM 05-16-2008
Michael Giacchino is an extremely talented composer.

His work on the "Incredibles" is well, incredible.
He did the "ROAR!" track from the end credits of Cloverfield. I wish they'd release it.

He's also replacing the legendary Jerry Goldsmith for Star Trek. We'll see how he does.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:40 PM 05-16-2008
Michael Giacchino is an extremely talented composer.

His work on the "Incredibles" is well, incredible.

I liked his MI3 score and he did a great job updating the original Speed Racer theme.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:42 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by GOATSE:
He did the "ROAR!" track from the end credits of Cloverfield. I wish they'd release it.

He's also replacing the legendary Jerry Goldsmith for Star Trek. We'll see how he does.
He and Abrams have a good working relationship. I'm betting it turns out like Speilberg and William's relationship. Both really dig working on eachother's work.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:47 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
I have a great many of his work. And I realize they aren't supposed to be "stand-alone music." And often times, the image makes the music that much better. I'll wait and see, as always, but from a pure musical standpoint, it's not as good as any of his others, in my opinion.

And it seems people are mixing up the song I do and don't care for and what I have and haven't said about.
Here's the thing with film scoring: Every cue can't be "Great". If every cue were memorable and amazing, then it would take away from the Opening, Closing and Main Themes. It would also make for a cluster**** of a bed track.

Additionally, subtly is required to make some scenes push or pull. There needs to be a dynamic in the score so that certain scenes really POP and other scenes are are affected by the music but they're not in your face.

Regardless, this may or may not be among John Williams' best work (and I'm leaning towards not). His actual involvement has declined over the past decade and he was many "Ghost Writers" that do the actual composition (though he certainly has input).
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:48 PM 05-16-2008
He and Abrams have a good working relationship. I'm betting it turns out like Speilberg and William's relationship. Both really dig working on eachother's work.
It already is like that relationship.

Michael has scored everyone of J.J.'s productions and it will probably continue to do for the duration of their careers.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:54 PM 05-16-2008
Here's the thing with film scoring: Every cue can't be "Great". If every cue were memorable and amazing, then it would take away from the Opening, Closing and Main Themes. It would also make for a cluster**** of a bed track.
Well, yeah, I know.

Originally Posted by :
Additionally, subtly is required to make some scenes push or pull. There needs to be a dynamic in the score so that certain scenes really POP and other scenes are are affected by the music but they're not in your face.
This is why I liked Schindler's List.

Originally Posted by :
Regardless, this may or may not be among John Williams' best work (and I'm leaning towards not). His actual involvement has declined over the past decade and he was many "Ghost Writers" that do the actual composition (though he certainly has input).
I'm sure he has ghost writers. He's got to be like 70 or 80.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:04 PM 05-16-2008
Well, yeah, I know.

This is why I liked Schindler's List.

I'm sure he has ghost writers. He's got to be like 70 or 80.
Hans Zimmer does, too (and has for years).

Though all of Zimmer's work just sounds like a variation of "Gladiator". So lame.

Actually, I don't like any of his composers (the company is called Media Ventures). They all sound like a lame version of Hans Zimmer.

But I digress.

John Williams is 76.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 07:06 PM 05-16-2008
Hans Zimmer does, too (and has for years).

Though all of Zimmer's work just sounds like a variation of "Gladiator". So lame.

Actually, I don't like any of his composers (the company is called Media Ventures). They all sound like a lame version of Hans Zimmer.

But I digress.

John Williams is 76.
Actually, I noticed that too. The only one that doesn't sound like Gladiator is The Rock, which predates it. So, yeah.

Pirates is a very, very obvious rip from Gladiator. Rip isn't the right word because it's his, but you get my drift.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:07 PM 05-16-2008
Hans Zimmer doesn't hold a candle to legends like Williams or Goldsmith. I heard all of his stuff is done on computers anyway. Dane?
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 07:08 PM 05-16-2008
Hans Zimmer doesn't hold a candle to legends like Williams or Goldsmith. I heard all of his stuff is done on computers anyway. Dane?
Other than Rudy, what has he done?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:09 PM 05-16-2008
Other than Rudy, what has he done?
You must be joking.

Goldsmith was a master. I can't believe he's dead.

1950s
[edit] 1960s
[edit] 1970s
[edit] 1980s
[edit] 1990s
[edit] 2000s

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:10 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by :
King Solomon's Mines (1985)
Shitty movie. GREAT soundtrack. I had to find it through an obscure online company, but I love listening to it.

Originally Posted by :
Hoosiers (1986)
One of the best.

Originally Posted by :
First Blood (1982)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)
Rambo III (1988)
Absolutely love these.

Originally Posted by :
Alien (1979)
A classic.

Originally Posted by :
Total Recall (1990)
Brilliant.

Originally Posted by :
Medicine Man (1991)
Pretty good.

Originally Posted by :
Gladiator (rejected) (1992)
I wonder what this sounded like.

Originally Posted by :
The Shadow (1994)
Another shitty movie with a GREAT soundtrack.

Originally Posted by :
First Knight (1995)
Best Arthurian soundtrack ever.

Originally Posted by :
The Ghost and the Darkness (1996)
This one was pretty good if I recall. Good movie, too.

Originally Posted by :
The Mummy (1999)
Great stuff. Silvestri tried to top him for the sequel but didn't come close.

Originally Posted by :
Absolutely incredible score.

And of course his Star Trek scores were AMAZING. :-)
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 07:11 PM 05-16-2008
I think L.A. Confidential and Rudy may be his best. But damn he has a lot of really crappy movies on there.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:16 PM 05-16-2008
Well like most composer, Zimmer orchestrates everything in his home studio using computer samplers or specific orchestral libraries (Vienna Symphony Cube is the most popular software sampler).

For "Gladiator", he used 12 instances of a program called GigaSampler and had just as many computers slaved together. His sequencing software was a program called Cubase VST 5.1 (this was in 1999 - He's a Nuendo user now).

But for the most part, every film and television show you see these days with a budget of less than $60 million dollars use software samplers and Orchestral VSTi's for scoring.

Zimmer is one of the only guys who doesn't go into a full recording facility to record an orchestra for every project.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 37
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up