« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Media Center>Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Hammock Parties 01:46 PM 12-10-2007
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

*NERDGASM*

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:07 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
I didn't think it was Williams at his best, but that's me. And I didn't hear the Sax. I heard the trumpet, but no sax. Can you give a time marker?
It's very low in the mix. It's a baritone sax and about 40 seconds in, the French Horn takes over the melody.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:08 PM 05-16-2008
Where? I heard trumpet but no sax.
Put on some headphones.

You didn't like the second one? I mean, that's the best work in the new soundtrack. It gets repeated a lot in the other tracks.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:09 PM 05-16-2008
I didn't think it was Williams at his best, but that's me. And I didn't hear the Sax. I heard the trumpet, but no sax. Can you give a time marker?
I don't know how you can possibly judge this Cue without seeing the narrative and how it pushes or pulls the scene.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:10 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by frazod:
Basil Poledouris' score from Conan the Barbarian blows away anything Williams ever did.
It we're talking about other composers, then we gotta bring in Morricone.
The Good the Bad and the Ugly is perhaps the best original score ever.
Once Upon a Time in America is a masterpiece as well.
The Mission, Days of Heaven, The Untouchables, L'Arena.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:10 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by GOATSE:
Put on some headphones.

You didn't like the second one? I mean, that's the best work in the new soundtrack. It gets repeated a lot in the other tracks.
I liked the second one better than the first, which you said earlier was Williams at his best.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:18 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
It we're talking about other composers, then we gotta bring in Morricone.
The Good the Bad and the Ugly is perhaps the best original score ever.
Once Upon a Time in America is a masterpiece as well.
The Mission, Days of Heaven, The Untouchables, L'Arena.
God, i love that Untouchables score. One of my all time faves.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:22 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I don't know how you can possibly judge this Cue without seeing the narrative and how it pushes or pulls the scene.
Because you judge it on a musical level....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:24 PM 05-16-2008
Because you judge it on a musical level....
Yeah, I don't buy that.

It's a Cue, not an Opening or Closing Theme. Additionally, you haven't viewed the scene for which it was written and you don't know the narrative. For all you know, it may fit the scene perfectly nothing more "musically" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) is necessary.

And no, you don't "judge it on a musical level". You "judge it" by whether it helps the narrative.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:25 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, I don't buy that.

It's a Cue, not an Opening or Closing Theme. Additionally, you haven't viewed the scene for which it was written and you don't know the narrative. For all you know, it may fit the scene perfectly.
And I haven't said anything to the contrary. I just said it isn't Williams' best work.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:27 PM 05-16-2008
And I haven't said anything to the contrary. I just said it isn't Williams' best work.
So you've cataloged and judged all of his other cues over the years?

Film cues and themes aren't supposed to be stand-alone music. Sometimes, in the case of the "Star Wars" Opening Theme or "Jaws" the "Rocky" theme, the music transcends the film.

But that is certainly not the intent of the producers, director or composer.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:30 PM 05-16-2008
I liked the second one better than the first, which you said earlier was Williams at his best.
Hmmm. To each his own.

I meant the second one I linked....the first being the main theme earlier in the thread.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:32 PM 05-16-2008
Also, in a related tangent, was anyone else blown away by the score for Lost last night. That movement they were playing as the actors assumed their places on the 'chessboard' for the finale was as good as I can recall in made for TV fare.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:34 PM 05-16-2008
Also, in a related tangent, was anyone else blown away by the score for Lost last night. That movement they were playing as the actors assumed their places on the 'chessboard' for the finale was as good as I can recall in made for TV fare.
Yeah, his score has been fantastic throughout. And the finale was what made the episode come out from pure suckage. And his music is the main reason.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 06:35 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by GOATSE:
Hmmm. To each his own.

I meant the second one I linked....the first being the main theme earlier in the thread.
Well, I was confused then when you said this:

Originally Posted by :
By the way, the second track "Call of the Crystal Skull," is absolutely amazing. John Williams at his finest.

So, I'm sorry. I do like the second one better than "call".
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:35 PM 05-16-2008

Michael Giacchino is an extremely talented composer.

His work on the "Incredibles" is well, incredible.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 37
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up