« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Media Center>Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Hammock Parties 01:46 PM 12-10-2007
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

*NERDGASM*

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:16 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk:
I think L.A. Confidential and Rudy may be his best. But damn he has a lot of really crappy movies on there.
Like I said, shitty movies with great soundtracks. It's pretty amazing. I haven't seen King Solomon's Mines in years but will listen to the soundtrack any day.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:19 PM 05-16-2008
I think L.A. Confidential and Rudy may be his best. But damn he has a lot of really crappy movies on there.
Don't forget The Omen.
[Reply]
Chiefs Pantalones 07:38 PM 05-16-2008
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2...095996000.html

What's Indy up to? Secrecy shrouds `Crystal Skull'
Friday May 16 10:46 AM ET

Indiana Jones doesn't give up his secrets lightly, and neither does the man pulling his strings.

Director Steven Spielberg has tried to keep chapter four of the archaeologist's big-screen adventures, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," under wraps as tight as an ancient mummy's.

The stealth approach has whipped up a frenzy of expectation and doubts about the movie's quality as he prepares to unveil it in front of the world's toughest audience, critics at the Cannes Film Festival. The film premieres here Sunday, just four days before it opens in theaters worldwide.

ADVERTISEMENT
In an era of Internet spoilers, fan blogging and online video diaries where filmmakers show off their tricks, Indy returns with the old-fashioned covertness Spielberg always has favored.

"He is the only one in the world who keeps his cards face down on the table until the 11th hour, 59th minute, 59th second, and nothing deters him from doing that," said Jeffrey Katzenberg, Spielberg's partner at DreamWorks.

Revealing their cards at Cannes, with its notoriously snooty press corps, is a critical risk for Spielberg, executive producer George Lucas and star Harrison Ford.

Hollywood trade paper Variety quipped that Indiana Jones was entering the "Kingdom of the Critical Knives," and reporters have joked that Cannes might prove a new Temple of Doom for Indy.

Two years ago, the first press screening of "The Da Vinci Code" drew open laughter from Cannes critics, whose harsh reviews spoiled the film's premiere a day later and set the stage for a worldwide critical drubbing.

Of course, "The Da Vinci Code" went on to gross $758 million globally. As the first movie in 19 years for one of cinema's biggest adventure series, "Crystal Skull" is virtually assured of blockbuster results, too.

Possibly to shield "Crystal Skull" from a similar critical backlash, Spielberg, Lucas and distributor Paramount weren't letting critics see the movie until hours before its Cannes premiere.

In an unusual move, the few cast and crew interviews at Cannes were scheduled Saturday, before reporters had even seen the film. The movie's profile is so high, the filmmakers figure it doesn't need the usual publicity.

Spielberg has been hush-hush from the start. Co-star Karen Allen, reprising her "Raiders of the Lost Ark" role as Indy's old flame Marion Ravenwood, said Spielberg initially wanted to keep it a secret that she was even in "Crystal Skull."

"Even after the film was announced, people would call me. `Oh, it's too bad you're not going to be in the film,'" Allen said. "I had to go along with it and say, `Yeah, it's a shame.' When it was finally announced I was in it, it was a huge relief. I was having to make up stories for why I wasn't in it, and I was finding it excruciating to have to do that."

In its earliest incarnation, Lucas proposed an all-out alien flick called "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars." Spielberg and Ford didn't like that idea, and it took more than a decade of wrangling to come up with a story all three could live with.

A trailer showing a crate marked "Roswell, New Mexico, 1947" a mecca for UFO buffs hints that the movie retains traces of its extraterrestrial origins. Remarks by Lucas that the new film took its cue from 1950s sci-fi tales backs up that notion.

"The B-movies of the '50s were crazy science-fiction films, `It Came From Outer Space' and `Them!' and I said, `Well, gee, I could use that as the basis of the genre that I was using as my reference,'" Lucas said.

From the trailers and studio press materials, the basic story line is out there Indy and Soviet agents led by Cate Blanchett pursue a crystal skull that can bestow fantastic power on those returning it to a city of solid gold in the Amazon from where it was stolen.

Secrets remain, such as how Indy and Marion are reunited and whether co-star Shia LaBeouf is playing the love child of their "Raiders" romance.

Spielberg was incensed last year when an extra leaked plot details, and the filmmakers have scrambled to maintain the mystery.

"It's been insane," said Frank Marshall, producer on the "Indiana Jones" movies. "I've spent a great deal of time on this movie just trying to keep things off the Internet. That's totally new for us. There seems to be some kind of sport out there now to see who can put up a spoiler, which is not fair to the audience. We really tried to keep the lid on the story just for the audience's sake."

Accustomed to fan gripes from his "Star Wars" prequels, Lucas has downplayed expectations for "Crystal Skull," saying audiences will be disappointed if they're anticipating a cinematic Second Coming.

Such remarks could just be part of Lucas and Spielberg's strategy to keep fans guessing.

"There's a little P.T. Barnum in both of them. They know how to get you interested," said "Crystal Skull" screenwriter David Koepp. "There's nothing more interesting than saying, `You can't see what's under here. I'd love to show you what's behind there, but I just can't.'"

Even a short behind-the-scenes segment on the official "Indiana Jones" Web site doesn't show much from behind the scenes. It focuses mainly on Spielberg in generic filmmaking mode, revealing virtually nothing about the action, ending with a close-up of Spielberg finishing a shot.

"And cut," Spielberg says. "Very nice."

The tough crowd at Cannes will have something to say about that Sunday.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:51 PM 05-16-2008

Pirates is a very, very obvious rip from Gladiator. Rip isn't the right word because it's his, but you get my drift.
Actually Klaus Badelt did the original Pirates of the Caribbean score which was alot better than the sequels. Im not sure why he didnt return?
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 07:55 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Actually Klaus Badelt did the original Pirates of the Caribbean score which was alot better than the sequels. Im not sure why he didnt return?
Because he was one of those "Ghost" writers. They get credit on the risky projects but when they boom - you hear daddy calling.

Klaus actually has talent but you'll notice his scores have been for low budget, risky pictures. Pirates 1 (best one, fortunately) and Equilibrium.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:55 PM 05-16-2008
Klaus Badelt is one of Hans Zimmer's underlings at Media Ventures.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:57 PM 05-16-2008
Because he was one of those "Ghost" writers. They get credit on the risky projects but when they boom - you hear daddy calling.

Klaus actually has talent but you'll notice his scores have been for low budget, risky pictures. Pirates 1 (best one, fortunately) and Equilibrium.

ahh....very interesting..thanks. Yea, people forget that the Original PoTC was pretty risky at the time.

A Pirate movie??
Johnny Depp as a lead??
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:11 PM 05-16-2008
ahh....very interesting..thanks. Yea, people forget that the Original PoTC was pretty risky at the time.

A Pirate movie??
Johnny Depp as a lead??
I don't even know how they advertise those movies as "Starring" Johnny Depp.

He's been a tertiary character the past two movies.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:16 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I don't even know how they advertise those movies as "Starring" Johnny Depp.

He's been a tertiary character the past two movies.
Yea...i loathe the 2 sequels.

Bloated and convoluted.

Bigger is not better.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:17 PM 05-16-2008
Yea...i loathe the 2 sequels.

Bloated and convoluted.

Bigger is not better.
That's exactly why I hated the idea of "Saucer Men from Mars." Huge, epic battles do not fit in Indiana Jones.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:26 PM 05-16-2008
Originally Posted by GOATSE:
That's exactly why I hated the idea of "Saucer Men from Mars." Huge, epic battles do not fit in Indiana Jones.
I trust Spielberg. Hes fairly old fashioned by todays filmaking standards. Which is a good thing.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:36 PM 05-16-2008
I trust Spielberg. Hes fairly old fashioned by todays filmaking standards. Which is a good thing.
Very little CGI in Indy IV.
[Reply]
irishjayhawk 08:53 PM 05-16-2008
Speaking of Giacchino's score for last night's LOST, I just realized while listening to his scores of the past 2 seasons, that last night's version was just a slightly altered version from season 1.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4j8SJQ6kr9E

However, the music is much more profound with last night's video.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:58 PM 05-17-2008
Not sure how I feel about this:

Originally Posted by :
Lucas: 'Indy 5' a Possibility

George Lucas tells me it’s more than a strong possibility there will be a fifth "Indiana Jones." He says that he and director Steven Spielberg have left the door open for a sequel to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Lucas, looking dandy with slicked-back gray and white hair in a snappy tuxedo, was a guest Thursday night at Paramount/DreamWorks’s party for "Kung Fu Panda" at the 61st Cannes Film Festival.

The swell event was set up on the pier across from the Carlton Hotel, where the studio spared no expense recreating sets and treating guests to haute Chinese cuisine. There was even one of the 40 pandas from the publicity stunt the day before, dancing in the crowd to Carl Carlton’s old hit "Kung Fu Fighting."

Lucas had a lot to say about the new "Indy" and its future.

"I haven’t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

"And it’s not like Harrison is even old. I mean, he’s 65 and he did everything in this movie. The old chemistry is there, and it’s not like he’s an old man. He’s incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me."

Lucas says he’s not concerned about early mixed buzz on "Crystal Skull."

"This movie is the exact same experience as the other three were. The difference is, the novelty of discovery is gone. I get worried when I hear fans say they’re expecting something different that will change their lives. This is 'Indiana Jones' just as you remember him."

But that’s exactly the gamble Spielberg and Lucas took with reviving their icon. Expectation grows into a frenzy and then no one in that frame of mind can be satisfied.

You already can see this with "Sex and the City: The Movie" and it hasn't even opened everywhere. Fans and even some critics want some transcendent experience. They almost seem upset that all they got was … "Sex and the City."

Lucas has been here before, when he revived and extended the "Star Wars" series. The build-up to the release of the fourth installment (aka now Chapter 1), "Phantom Menace," was huge until it reached a fever pitch. Then, almost before it could be absorbed, "Phantom Menace" became the target of scorn from fanatics. Computer-generated character Jar Jar Binks was public enemy No. 1.

But "Star Wars" continues to thrive. In August, Lucas says, he’s releasing an animated 90-minute "Star Wars" movie to theaters via Warner Bros. called "Clone Wars." It will be followed in September by an animated series on the Cartoon Network and TNT.

"No one wanted it," he told me. "Every studio rejected it, including Fox, and I’m very loyal to them. They have right of first refusal. Eventually I brought it to Warners. It’s the first time that three components of the studio have acted together. It’s very exciting.

"But the story is that everyone said, 'No one gets this. It’s just … 'Star Wars.'' I said, 'That’s right, It’s just 'Star Wars.' Just like this is … 'Indiana Jones.''"

Oh, yes, and by the way: If "Crystal Skull" breaks records when it opens on May 22, Lucas could wind up having his name on a fourth title in the all-time box office top 10 (it would be Spielberg’s second).

"But these movies — the 'Indiana Jones' ones — were never big hits right away. They were always slow starters that built up to big numbers," Lucas insisted.

I don’t think that will be the case with this one. And the notion that a sequel already is playing around in his head should only fuel the heady numbers about to be posted.

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:15 PM 05-17-2008
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Not sure how I feel about this:
I dont.

Its probably just Lucas talking out his a$$...(BTW, where are those low budget Indie flicks you promised after Star Wars George???)

Anyhow, nobody is going to except anyone but Harrison Ford playing Indiana Jones or any character similiar to that.

Except maybe Tom Selleck...... :-)
[Reply]
Page 10 of 37
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up