ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Why the slide?
Direckshun 12:22 PM 05-15-2023
I know you guys hate WF, but...

Brian Branch:

Originally Posted by :
In speaking to team sources, the the biggest factor that caused Branch to slide was his 40 time, which was close to 4.6 seconds. That is a slow time for a pro defensive back and gave teams real questions about Branch's ability to run with fast NFL receivers. Hence, he slid to Round 2 of the 2023 NFL Draft.
Jalin Hyatt:

Originally Posted by :
Team sources from around the NFL told WalterFootball.com that Hyatt had received grades on the second day of the 2023 NFL Draft, so they did not feel he actually slid. Thanks to learning from teams that Hyatt was interally graded him on Day 2, I had Hyatt as a second-day selection in my mock draft throughout the months leadingup to the draft. Teams viewed Hyatt as a one-trick-pony deep-speed receiver, and as a result, he was graded on Day 2.
Dawand Jones:

Originally Posted by :
Team sources told WalterFootball.com there were a variety of reasons that caused Jones to slide. Numerous team sources said that off-the-field concerns and his football character were huge detriments. "Silly kid with no work ethic; doesn't love football, terminally lazy, immature, and family issues," said one AFC director of player personnel. Four other team sources referred to similar character issues, independently. Multiple sources stated Jones had the reputation of not loving football and bore some medical concerns. Part of that is weight related, as sources said that Jones' weight can balloon, which is a reflection of the lack of work ethic.
Kelee Ringo:

Originally Posted by :
There were multiple reasons why Ringo slid. The biggest contribution was from Ringo being exposed as being extremely stiff as the season progressed, especially late in the year versus better competition. Ringo was abused by receivers, struggling to stay with them out of their cuts and letting them generate significant amounts of separation over the route. As a result, NFL teams felt Ringo was not a fit to play zone or off-man coverage in the NFL. Being viewed as a press-man-only corner led to him not fitting many teams' defensive schemes. Ringo also came with some character concerns, but his problems in coverage were the largest reason for his decline.
Trenton Simpson:

Originally Posted by :
Multiple NFL team sources said Simpson graded out on the second day of the 2023 NFL Draft because he lacked first-round tape. That absence of impressive tape was why I had Simpson going in the second or third round of my mock drafts, but his workouts were definitely eye-poppers. Sources also said they felt Simpson lacked instincts, which was reflected in his production being unimpressive. One area scout said of Simpson, "Just not that good of a player, just a workout guy." Hence, Simpson went in the portion of the draft where teams thought he belonged.

[Reply]
Couch-Potato 01:12 PM 05-16-2023
Good post!
[Reply]
kcbubb 12:16 PM 05-17-2023
Thanks direckshun. Another quality piece of info. What about Adetomiwa Adebawore? I thought he’d go late 2nd or in the third. The only negative was his height? He has long arms and is a freak. God doesn’t make many men that weigh 280 lbs and run a 4.49 40.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:34 PM 05-17-2023
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Thanks direckshun. Another quality piece of info. What about Adetomiwa Adebawore? I thought he’d go late 2nd or in the third. The only negative was his height? He has long arms and is a freak. God doesn’t make many men that weigh 280 lbs and run a 4.49 40.
Tweeners got killed in this draft, he's short and heavy for an edge. He's light and doesn't have the playstyle of a DT..

He's probably a sub package rusher that can be moved around to create matchups, but that isn't a starter hence the drop.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 12:35 PM 05-17-2023
Hyatt was way overrated on here IMO
[Reply]
RunKC 12:44 PM 05-17-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Tweeners got killed in this draft, he's short and heavy for an edge. He's light and doesn't have the playstyle of a DT..

He's probably a sub package rusher that can be moved around to create matchups, but that isn't a starter hence the drop.
Shocked he went in the 4th. Usually guys like that with that athleticism go in rd 3
[Reply]
kcbubb 01:51 PM 05-17-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:

He looked like he could Elvis dumerville to me. Shorter, powerful edge that could bill rush and if can learn some moves with his athleticism, look out. But at minimum, a solid interior rusher on passing downs.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:30 PM 05-17-2023
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Hyatt was way overrated on here IMO
Agreed.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:24 AM 05-21-2023
Adetomiwa Adebawore:

Originally Posted by :
In speaking to sources at multiple teams, none of them had a first-round grade, or anything even close to one, on Adebawore. A number of teams had him graded in the mid-rounds, so he ended up getting selected where many had him valued. At 6-foot-1, 280 pounds, Adebawore is very undersized for playing on the interior of defensive line in the NFL. He lacks the height, weight and length to match up against pro offensive linemen.
Henton Hooker:

Originally Posted by :
A number of NFL team sources were not as high on Hooker's play as the media hype suggested. Sources from multiple teams had Hooker graded on Day 2, and sources from one franchise said they had Hooker as a 1/2 - a late first-round or early second-round pick. Teams don't like Hooker being older, coming from gimmick offense, and needing development despite his age. Additionally, the torn ACL could delay his availability in the first half of his rookie season. All of those combined led to Hooker sliding in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Joey Porter Jr:

Originally Posted by :
Team sources from around the NFL told WalterFootball.com that Porter slid because of scheme limitations. Teams felt that Porter was a press-man corner only, and they did not like his fit playing zone or off-man coverage. That hurt the number of teams whose defensive scheme Porter could fit, leaving the teams that play lot of zone or off-man not interested in Porter. Sources also did not like a lack of big plays during Porter's college career.

[Reply]
RunKC 12:05 PM 05-21-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Adetomiwa Adebawore:
He’s small, short and doesn’t have length but Calijah Kancey does? Kancey has T. rex arms while Adebawore were just short of 34 inches.

Adebawore was the same weight and an inch taller and he was much faster in the 40 and 10 yd split, not to mention his 27 bench press reps make him similar in strength.

I’ll be honest. I didn’t think Kancey was first rd material bc he was so small. I think his short frame and tiny arms are gonna make it really hard to shed blocks on run downs in this league.

Hard to win the leverage game in those circumstances
[Reply]
Mecca 10:06 AM 05-22-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
He’s small, short and doesn’t have length but Calijah Kancey does? Kancey has T. rex arms while Adebawore were just short of 34 inches.

Adebawore was the same weight and an inch taller and he was much faster in the 40 and 10 yd split, not to mention his 27 bench press reps make him similar in strength.

I’ll be honest. I didn’t think Kancey was first rd material bc he was so small. I think his short frame and tiny arms are gonna make it really hard to shed blocks on run downs in this league.

Hard to win the leverage game in those circumstances
Kancey actually has production from the DT spot...
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:03 AM 05-24-2023
O’Cyrus Torrence:

Originally Posted by :
NFL team sources shared with WalterFootball.com that Torrence slipped for a few reasons. First, he had medical concerns that hurt him with multiple teams. Second, Torrence needs to improve his body and conditioning. Team sources said during the fall that Torrence had one of the worst bodies they've seen in recent years, so he will need to trim some fat and improve his conditioning for the next level. Players who have a combination bad body and medical concerns lead to teams wondering if the player will be able to stick in the NFL.
Clark Phillips:

Originally Posted by :
Team sources from around the NFL said Phillips had some struggles in the team meetings with the mental side of the game, and that caused some teams to feel that Phillips could have problems picking up their scheme. Adding that alongside the size limitations caused Phillips to slide.

[Reply]
kozzman555 12:24 PM 05-24-2023
This just really confirms that we and sites like PFF have no clue what's actually going on with the draft process and that anyone who says otherwise or claims to have sources before the draft is lying.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:51 PM 05-24-2023
Nobody really has any idea how anyone will perform with any certainty - especially those players outside the Top 20 but every year we have to do this exercise that we all think we know what we are talking about.
[Reply]
Up