View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 112 of 343
« First < 1262102108109110111112 113114115116122162212 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Shields68 12:58 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefGator:
Is that his agent or something?

I think what they did was throw away the inflated last year on the OBJ contract and NOT throw it out on all the other contracts, and then compared them.

This is common practice, so you would need to do the contracts on all those seven LT's being paid more than him.
It does sound like they are/were far apart. Think the Chiefs offer was fair given his play to date. But I can see him not overly excited about a 18 million per year for 5 years. When you think the cap is going to make a jump and he is set to make almost 17 million next year. If he looks like a top 10 tackle he is going to make a lot more in the end.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:59 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Dante84:
He’s not signing a deal bc he wants the 6th year of his contract to be better structured. This is why having a real agent matters.

Who cares what your 6th year entails? Your pay average is higher than any LT in history and you get more guaranteed in your signing bonus than Trent Williams.

Does this guy really think he’s going to the the Chiefs LT in 2028? Every contract is structured this way. Trent Williams has a huge cap hit and salary in his 6th year too. That’s called team protection. That’s how you avoid Frank Clark situations. Bc no player hardly ever makes it through a 5 or 6 year 2nd contract. It’s money on paper.

This was a great contract on both sides. The Chiefs got protection and Brown Jr got bragging rights and more money. This is his own damn fault.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 12:59 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefGator:
Is that his agent or something?

I think what they did was throw away the inflated last year on the OBJ contract and NOT throw it out on all the other contracts, and then compared them.

This is common practice, so you would need to do the contracts on all those seven LT's being paid more than him.
Yeah, he is comparing against those elevated final years on contracts...
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:00 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Shields68:
Getting almost 17 million this year not sure it should matter if he wins or loses that bet he should be ok.
The good thing for him is franchise tags are guaranteed through injury.
[Reply]
Eleazar 01:01 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I always laugh at that "both sides hoping for a deal after the season" stuff.

If it was about love or loyalty, if OBJ wanted to be with this team above all, he'd be signed. But it's not, it's about getting top dollar, and someone will overpay for a LT on the open market. Everyone knows the chances that OBJ plays for the Chiefs in 2023 are now probably near zero.

I don't blame the guy for saying he wants top dollar more than he wants to be a Chief, or to be the LT for a super bowl contending team. But don't act like you are going to move heaven and earth to stay because you love the team when you could have done that today, for a deal that's richer than you are worth. It'll ring as hollow today as it will when you sign a big (overpaid) deal for the Falcons or whomever next year.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:02 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
If I'm Brown, I probably don't sign that contract either.
That's not a terribly fair analysis from Garafolo (and reads like an agent leak because of it...).

"Well if you take the funny money at the back of the deal out for Brown but DON'T subtract it for everyone else, Brown comes in 8th..."

The AAVs he's referencing are on long-term deals that include inflated figures at the back - as they ALL do in the NFL. Williams deal is no different in that regard.

So no, you can't just compare the 'first 5 years before the fake money' to the entire AAV of anyone else's contract and come to a conclusion.

Bottom line is that Kolten Miller just extended on a 3 year, $54 million deal. Brown had an opportunity to extend for 5/$95 so he's tacking on 2 'team' options at roughly $20.5 million on the back of Miller's deal.

I'd say that's an exceptionally fair offer from the Chiefs. The Chiefs came correct here and Brown either 1) doesn't have a reasonable handle on his value or 2) simply wanted to bet on himself.

And as to the 2nd possibility - that's fine. I have no problem with that. Provided he's in here on Day 1 of camp ready to PROVE that he's worth that kind of money. Because to date he has not and offering him a similar sort of 'real' money deal as Miller got was more than appropriate.
[Reply]
Balto 01:02 PM 07-15-2022
Anyone taking odds if OBJ will have a different agent come next off season contract talks?
[Reply]
Shields68 01:03 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
He’s not signing a deal bc he wants the 6th year of his contract to be better structured. This is why having a real agent matters.

Who cares what your 6th year entails? Your pay average is higher than any LT in history and you get more guaranteed in your signing bonus than Trent Williams.

Does this guy really think he’s going to the the Chiefs LT in 2028? Every contract is structured this way. Trent Williams has a huge cap hit and salary in his 6th year too. That’s called team protection. That’s how you avoid Frank Clark situations. Bc no player hardly ever makes it through a 5 or 6 year 2nd contract. It’s money on paper.

This was a great contract on both sides. The Chiefs got protection and Brown Jr got bragging rights and more money. This is his own damn fault.
Actually having the no way they can pay that last year is not all bad for the player. It sort of puts them in the position of whether they become a FA or restructure.
[Reply]
TLO 01:03 PM 07-15-2022
If only we could have signed Silver Surfer.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 01:03 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:

Who cares what your contract says about average pay if you’re not going to get your final year? It was the definition of funny money which is why you can’t just look at AAV.

Here - I’ll guarantee you can come work for me. I’ll pay you a million dollars for the next year. You work the first 6m for $1 and then I have an option to keep you at $999,999 for the 6m following.

You can brag to all of your friends that you’re getting paid $1mm dollars!
[Reply]
TLO 01:04 PM 07-15-2022
Hope he shows up for camp and plays his ass off this season.

That's all the OBJ news I need for a while.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:05 PM 07-15-2022
If your preferred agent ends up getting you no deal what was the use of the agent?

I'd fire him today.
[Reply]
Iowanian 01:05 PM 07-15-2022
I guess he better go play like a prime Willie Roaf this year....
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:06 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
Seems like a very fair offer. It's pretty close to the projected contract in the OP. Obviously, he would never see the sixth year of that deal (over $40M). It's essentially there to bump up the AAV and spread out the signing bonus.
Bonus only pro-rates over 5 years.

It was exclusively there for Brown's ego. Silly shit, to be honest.
[Reply]
TribalElder 01:08 PM 07-15-2022

[Reply]
Page 112 of 343
« First < 1262102108109110111112 113114115116122162212 > Last »
Up