5 Erick Pena, OF
6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:46 PM 03-24-2021
19. Major League Baseball gets clarity on the uncertain stadium situations for Oakland and Tampa Bay, as both teams secure new ballparks.
The league agrees to expand to 32 teams in 2025 as part of the new CBA. (The current CBA, which expires on Dec. 1, allows MLB to add two expansion clubs, but the pandemic pushed back the timeline.)
The following cities are invited to be part of the bidding process: Las Vegas; Portland, Ore.; Charlotte, N.C.; Vancouver, Canada; Orlando, Fla.; Monterrey, Mexico; New Orleans; Nashville, Tenn.

[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:58 PM 03-24-2021
Mellinger Minutes: Royals’ dream season

Originally Posted by :
The Royals will play a real baseball game at Kauffman Stadium in front of real humans in eight days. There will be lemonade and popcorn and hot dogs. Kids will get foul balls. The air will fill with catchers mitts popping and bats cracking and hopefully the umpire doing some ridiculous and overproduced strike three call.

You know, all the good stuff.

I will be there, assuming I’m still breathing, and I’m too old for this but I am already excited about the day. The column I write will almost certainly have nothing to do with the specifics of the game, or any decision Mike Matheny makes, or whether Brad Keller is repeating his mechanics or effective with his slider.

So with the Chiefs offseason still incomplete and plenty below about all three local college basketball teams, Bobby Witt Jr.’s reassignment, Sal Perez’s contract and other stuff let’s do something different here at the top:

What would a Royals playoff run look like?

This is an unlikely scenario, to be sure. If the Royals are in meaningful games the last week of the season it would be one of the bigger stories in the sport. But what good is this time of year if you can’t dream on a baseball team a little?

So here we go.

The Royals’ lineup would need to jump significantly from 13th in runs last year (and 14th in 2019, if you don’t trust the shortened season).

They would do this first and most importantly by covering holes. Last year, of the nine players with the most plate appearances, five had an adjusted OPS below league average.

Nicky Lopez had the lowest OPS in the American League. If Alex Gordon had enough plate appearances to qualify, he’d have tied for third-worst.

Another way to look at it: the Royals had just two positions (right field and catcher) that produced better than league average. They had just two spots in the lineup (first and third) that produced better than league average.

Sal Perez, Adalberto Mondesi, Whit Merrifield and Jorge Soler are back and in the same position on the field as last year.

Of the other five spots, it’s reasonable to believe that none will be significantly downgraded offensively, and that three will be significantly upgraded.

So if things go well offensively, it’ll be because Whit Merrifield continues to be Whit Merrifield, and Carlos Santana proves 2020 was a one-off and not the cliff’s edge, and Hunter Dozier breaks out, and Jorge Soler provides power, and Adalberto Mondesi has a few stretches where he crushes, and Michael A. Taylor’s shortened swing provides more consistency, and Benintendi does a little of everything (but lots of line drives in gaps), and Sal Perez hits another 25 homers, and the Royals get enough from second base that it’s no longer the place where rallies go to die.

Whatever it’s worth, I do believe Bobby Witt Jr. will be in the big leagues this summer, perhaps even before the All-Star break. He’s going to be great, and he might even be good right away, but I wonder if anything less than insta-Trout is going to be a letdown to some.

Let’s stay with the position players. The Royals should be at least average at every spot, and above average everywhere up the middle — Perez at catcher, Mondesi at short, Lopez (or Witt Jr. or Merrifield) at second, and Taylor in center.

Dozier (or Witt Jr.) could be above average at third. Benintendi has been worth 22 Defensive Runs Saved in left field over the last four seasons, though most of that is from 2017 and 2018. There is enough positional versatility between Dozier, Witt. Jr. and Merrifield to help cover the inevitable injuries.

The rotation lacks a headlining Cy Young candidate like Shane Bieber, but Brad Keller remains an under appreciated breakout candidate and for the first time in a while the Royals have a real chance to roll out a rotation without an obvious hole:

Keller, Mike Minor, Brady Singer, Danny Duffy and Kris Bubic. That’s five, with Daniel Lynch and Jackson Kowar and maybe even Asa Lacy on the come. Jakob Junis can offer a spot start. There will be injuries and underperformance but this is a good place to start.

A steady rotation can build on itself, and help the bullpen succeed. An organization that believes deeply in intangibles also values players arriving at the ballpark everyday believing they can with their starter.

The bullpen could use some depth, and Josh Staumont’s recover from Covid-19 is at least a mild concern, and in an ideal world there would be at least one lefty. But there’s enough talent back there to get guys out, and when he’s right Staumont is virtually unhittable.

So, that’s the way this thing would happen. That’s how the 2021 Royals would look if they are lucky and good and healthy enough to threaten a postseason — diverse skills, winning with different guys doing different things on different nights, taking away more runs defensively than they let in, a balanced rotation with Keller as the anchor, and a bullpen protected by that rotation with the best and hottest arms deployed for the most dangerous spots.

But, honestly, between you and me I’ll take 70-92 right now if it means we have 162 games with fans able to watch in person.

[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:02 PM 03-24-2021
Remembrance of Royals’ Krispy Kreme promotion in 2000s strikes a chord with KC fans
BY PETE GRATHOFF

Originally Posted by :
Until the Royals’ playoff appearances in 2014 and 2015, there may have been no more electric time for fans born in the 1980s or later than in April 2003.

The Royals were coming off a 100-loss season, and expectations were more of the same in 2003. Instead, the Royals opened the season with nine straight wins and at one point had a 16-3 record.

That included a victory over the Tigers on April 19 that was notable for what fans were yelling at Kauffman Stadium. The Star reported Michael Tucker’s sixth-inning single was the team’s 11th hit — and that’s when Royals faithful began chanting, “donuts, donuts.”

Angel Berroa opened the eighth inning with a single for the Royals’ 12th hit of the game, and fans went nuts because it triggered perhaps the greatest promotion in franchise history.

Starting in 2003, fans who were at a Royals home game could get a dozen free donuts the following day if KC had 12 hits (ticket stub required).

Unfortunately for the Royals, that hot start didn’t result in a playoff berth and three more 100-loss seasons followed. After the 2006 season, the Krispy Kreme promotion came to an end.

Many Royals fans have fond memories of the Krispy Kreme giveaway, including Taylor Kay Phillips, a comedy writer in New York. She grew up in Kansas City and shared a Twitter thread Monday in which she recalled those sugar-infused days as a 10-year-old who attended games with her family.

“It was,” she wrote on Twitter, “the greatest summer of my life.”

Phillips wasn’t the only one with fond memories. That thread has gone viral in Kansas City and so far has exceeded 2,000 likes and more than 100 comments.

“I was very surprised and very touched (by the response),” Phillips said in a phone interview. “It was very fun reading all of these people’s stories who remember it better than I do because I was 10.”

Those trips to The K and then to Krispy Kreme are etched in Phillips’ memory.

“We would go at like 8 in the morning the next day ... but one night we went that night,” Phillips said. “My dad actually commented, and I had forgotten, but one night, we drove to Krispy Kreme and waited in the parking lot until we heard confirmation of the 12 (hits).”

Phillips said she can see Yankee Stadium from her apartment in the Harlem but remains true to the Royals. She wore a Salvador Perez shirt to her first stand-up gig to remind her to have fun.

Still, Phillips doesn’t closely follow the Royals like she did as a kid.

“I definitely know more about the early 2000 Royals than the current Royals,” she said with a laugh.

“We went to spring training in the spring of 2004, and that was just such a nice group of guys. I remember as a kid, Mike Sweeney told my sister who had a lot of freckles that his mom told him that each freckle was a kiss from God. We still remember that. ... It was just such a great time to be a baseball fan.”

Like most good things in life, the Krispy Kreme promotion eventually came to an end. It was followed by a disastrous and short-lived bagel promotion.

But Phillips’ remembrance of those Krispy Kreme days made an impact on Royals fans.

Here is what she wrote:

@TayKayPhillips

https://t.co/iXRWdtFLgY
My contribution to the @krispykreme hullabaloo was a twitter thread about my childhood as @Royals Fan in the 2000s. Turns out lots of people have great memories of that time + we made the paper! So if you prefer your donut discourse wholesome - here ya go.

— Taylor Kay Phillips (@TayKayPhillips) March 24, 2021

[Reply]
tk13 10:41 AM 03-25-2021
Now there's a lineup.

Today's Royals lineup against D-Backs:

Whit Merrifield 2B
Andrew Benintendi LF
Adalberto Mondesi SS
Salvador Perez C
Carlos Santana 1B
Jorge Soler DH
Hunter Dozier 3B
Michael A. Taylor CF
Kyle Isbel RF

Danny Duffy P

— Alec Lewis (@alec_lewis) March 25, 2021

[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:42 AM 03-25-2021
https://www.royalsreview.com/2021/3/...-march-25-2021

Royals Rumblings
by
Max Rieper

Originally Posted by :
Jakob Junis was impressive again on Wednesday against the Angels as he makes his case to be in the rotation.

Matheny seems to be leaving all avenues in play, including one of his hybrid relievers eventually turning into a fifth starter when needed.

“We need to take our best team with us when we head out of the gate,” Matheny said. “We should have a number of guys who could be options for when we do actually need that fifth starter, which again, we’re talking a couple weeks into the season.”

“Really my approach is just whenever my name is called, just go out there and be ready and do my thing,” Junis said. “I’m not going to think about it too much and worry about it. I know I’m starting in the bullpen that first few series, and I’ll be ready to go out of the bullpen and throw my stuff and hopefully get the job done.”

In his Mellinger Minutes, Sam admits the Salvador Perez contract looks bad on paper.

If they’re overpaying for Perez, they know that will be balanced by underpaying many of his teammates.

The calculation is that the trade with be worth it because of Perez’s specific strengths, the lack of a great alternative, and continuing to actively fight the old narrative of the Royals as the place that can’t or doesn’t sign their stars.

Now, all that said, this contract will become very difficult for even the most generous to justify if Perez has to switch positions or is no longer a strong defensive catcher.

Lynn Worthy writes that Salvy just meant more to the Royals than to any other team.

He established a deep personal connection with the organization, and there’s little doubt that Perez’s presence means more to the franchise than it could to any other. The Royals declared as much with the four-year extension worth a guaranteed $82 million announced on Sunday, the richest contract in franchise history.

“In an era where it’s very difficult at times for markets like ours to sign some of their most popular players, their most successful, their most talented and their most productive players with great history — like Salvador — to long-term contracts, that’s what we’re most thrilled about as an organization,” Moore said. “... There’s a lot of different emotions and feelings with a signing of this caliber.”

Red Sox manager Alex Cora had some interesting comments on the career of Andrew Benintendi in Boston.

[Reply]
siberian khatru 10:46 AM 03-25-2021
Originally Posted by tk13:
Now there's a lineup.

via Gfycat

[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:51 AM 03-25-2021
Now there's a lineup.

Almost as good as this one:

1. Whit Merrifield, RF
2. Andrew Benintendi, LF
3. Carlos Santana, 1B
4. Jorge Soler, DH
5. Salvy Perez, C
6. Adalberto Mondesi, SS
7. Hunter Dozier, 3B
8. Michael A Taylor, CF
9. Bobby Witt Jr, 2B

Might see this one by the All-Star game.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:00 AM 03-25-2021
https://insidethecrown.substack.com/...ld-predictions

2021 Bold Predictions
by
David Lesky

Originally Posted by :
Brady Singer Will Have Cy Young Talk Around Him

There aren’t many people who will look at the stuff of Brady Singer and put him at the top of any of the Royals young pitchers in spite of his draft position. He has all the makings of a guy who fits in the middle of a rotation and keeps you in games in as many starts as possible. But, as much as I have a hard time truly understanding this, the guy has intangibles that I believe will help him to pitch above his stuff level.

But I have reasons that aren’t just because he’s a bulldog who has all the makings of a pitcher who refuses to settle. He’s looked really good this spring. His slider is nasty. The fastball moves a lot. But his changeup has been reported to look good. We haven’t seen a ton of Singer, but what I have seen, the changeup did look pretty okay. And that’s really all it needs to be. The results this spring have been encouraging. Lots of strikeouts, and while he might always be a guy who has a bit of trouble with the home run ball, if he can keep the grounders and add a few strikeouts, that could be good.

Plus, he gets to face a lot of teams that haven’t seen him yet. He’ll likely make most of his April starts against new teams, and then the Royals will face 14 other teams this year that Singer didn’t face last season. I think at some point in the season, we’re going to look up and he’ll be among the league leaders in ERA with a ton of strikeouts and people will start talking. I don’t think it’ll end that way, but at some point, he’ll look so good that there’ll at least be a discussion.

Andrew Benintendi Will Struggle

I loved the move to acquire Benintendi from the Red Sox because acquiring talent is never a bad idea. And I think this move will work out in the end for the Royals, maybe even long-term with a deal beyond 2022. But at least at the start, it’ll look like a mistake. I don’t have anything too concrete to back this up, but new isn’t always easy. And Benintendi is sitting with two new things to worry about in 2021.

First, it’s a new team and a new set of people to impress. There is a mindset that going from Boston to Kansas City should be relaxing and actually should help a transition, but a new organization with new teammates and a new front office and management to impress is still new and that’s still stressful. Think about when you start a new job. There’s a lot going on and it takes some time to adjust in order to be successful. So that’s strike one.

Second, he’s working on a new approach. It helps that his new approach is his old approach, but it’s hard to break habits. Benintendi tried to change his game while in Boston and while he realized that and dedicated himself to changing back to what worked, it could take some time and some reps to get there. And I think it might take a little while. What my crystal ball can’t see is how long. Does he only struggle in April or does it last half the season or more? I don’t know. But I think he will struggle.

Hunter Dozier is the Team’s Best Player

Okay, so you probably guessed this one was coming after I wrote about him a few weeks ago, but I’m just totally enamored with Dozier’s game this season. Armed with a new contract that gives him security and hopefully health he didn’t have last season, I just think he breaks out in a big way in 2021. He looked a little off early in the spring, but he’s really turned it on lately and some of the swings are absolutely beautiful.

His athleticism is what people overlook a lot in Dozier, but the guy can really move. I’m worried about him defensively at third base, but I also think there’s a chance he’s a better player with an offseason to get ready for the position. Even with that worry, I think there’s a chance we see absolutely monster numbers from him.

The Royals Will Make a Big Trade (Or Two)

This is a weird team because if the Royals are contending around the deadline, they probably don’t have many holes to fill. In order to win, they’re going to need contributions from almost every spot on the field and where they’re unlikely to get it could be filled by prospects by mid-summer. The rotation will have to pitch well to compete and even if there are struggles, there are a handful of guys who will be ready to go to see if they can’t do better. The bullpen is a place where teams can always add, but even there, the Royals appear to have some serious depth with their cavalry of arms.

But they also have those 40-man issues I talked about a bit ago. Someone’s gotta go. They already traded Khalil Lee to get Benintendi. But there’ll be more. And this organization really lacks a long-term answer in center field unless you believe Kyle Isbel can handle it for more than a couple years (I’m not sure I do). I guess maybe Bobby Witt, Jr. could be that guy, but I see him more on the infield somewhere than center.

So that’s a possibility for a move, center field. But I just think they do something big that ends up clearing some of the logjam of pitching prospects and bringing in some pieces that can help them win in 2022 and 2023 and I think it happens at the deadline this season when teams are scrambling for pitching depth because of the short 2020. I wouldn’t be too surprised either if Jorge Soler is moved at the deadline if they don’t make any progress on a long-term deal for him. A lot of that will depend on where they are in the standings and also how a guy like Nick Pratto looks in the minors, but Soler could very easily be on the move.

The Royals Will Not Make the Playoffs

I know, I know. I said bold, not crazy. But I don’t think this team makes the playoffs. Hard to believe. I do think we’ll be a lot more optimistic about 2022 at the end of the day on October 3rd than we are today, and I think a lot of people are pretty optimistic about 2022 already. The American League Central has two very good to great teams and one team that churns out pitching like it’s nothing. I don’t think the Tigers will be slouches either this season.

So it’ll be a tough go for them playing 57 games against the Twins, White Sox and Indians and then another 34-40 games against teams likely to contend. But I think they’ll be better at the end of the year than at the beginning and we’ll see debuts of the players a lot of people are counting on to be part of the next great Royals team.

I think I’m about to give my official 2021 record prediction (that is subject to change with any injuries the last few days of spring training). And it’s going to be...76-86. The team won 58 games in 2018 and 59 in 2019. Then last year, they won 26, which roughly works out to 70 wins in a full season. This is a step up and I think, with the right moves, could get them to the postseason in 2022. But just not in 2021.

[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:07 AM 03-25-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Almost as good as this one:

1. Whit Merrifield, RF
2. Andrew Benintendi, LF
3. Carlos Santana, 1B
4. Jorge Soler, DH
5. Salvy Perez, C
6. Adalberto Mondesi, SS
7. Hunter Dozier, 3B
8. Michael A Taylor, CF
9. Bobby Witt Jr, 2B

Might see this one by the All-Star game.
Or:
1. Whit Merrifield, 2B
2. Andrew Benintendi, LF
3. Carlos Santana, 1B
4. Jorge Soler, DH
5. Salvy Perez, C
6. Adalberto Mondesi, SS
7. Hunter Dozier, RF
8. Michael A Taylor, CF
9. Bobby Witt Jr, 3B
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:08 AM 03-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Or:
1. Whit Merrifield, 2B
2. Andrew Benintendi, LF
3. Carlos Santana, 1B
4. Jorge Soler, DH
5. Salvy Perez, C
6. Adalberto Mondesi, SS
7. Hunter Dozier, RF
8. Michael A Taylor, CF
9. Bobby Witt Jr, 3B
Also a strong possibility! :-)
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:15 AM 03-25-2021
https://royalsreporter.com/2021/03/2...n-opening-day/

Could Hanser Alberto actually be the Royals’ starting second baseman on Opening Day?
by
Kevin O’Brien

Originally Posted by :
This off-season Royals signed former Orioles second-baseman Hanser Alberto on a Minor League deal and invited him to Spring Training as a non-roster invitee. The deal seemed to be a pretty clear cut one for both Alberto and the Royals. For Alberto, it gave him a shot to make a Major League roster after being non-tendered by the Baltimore Orioles at the conclusion of the 2020 season. For the Royals, it gave them a possible veteran utility infielder off the bench who could also provide some production against left-handed pitching. In fact, it seemed plausible at the beginning of Spring Training that Alberto and Nicky Lopez, the Royals’ starting second baseman last year, could platoon at second base over the full course of the 2021 season.

However, with roughly a week left in Spring Training, Alberto has proven that he should not be seen solely as a platoon option for the Royals off the bench. Rather, Alberto has made an argument that he could be a candidate for the Royals’ starting second base position on Opening Day, especially amidst Lopez’s struggles at the plate last year and this Spring.

Thus, will Lopez still be the Royals starting second baseman on April 1st at Kauffman Stadium? Or will Alberto continue his torrid Spring and earn the starting nod at the keystone in Kansas City in nearly a week?

Let’s take a look at what Alberto and Lopez have done, and what the outlook could be for the Royals at second base not just for the remainder of Spring Training, but in 2021 as well.

Alberto found new life in Baltimore in 2019 after only playing 89 games over three seasons in the Rangers organization from 2016-2018. Two seasons ago with the Orioles, Alberto posted a slash of .305/.329/.422, a wRC+ of 97 and a 2.0 WAR, according to Fangraphs. Unfortunately, the former Oriole regressed a bit in year two in Baltimore during the shortened 2020 season, as his batting average fell to .283, and wRC+ and WAR also fell to 89 and 0.6, respectively. Furthermore, his defense also struggled over his 54-game stint in 2020, as his OAA (outs above average) went from seven outs above average to three runs BELOW average, according to Baseball Savant. Thus, with little to no pop, and some question marks defensively last year, it’s not a surprise that Baltimore non-tendered him last year, especially considering he’s 28-years-old this season.

That being said, even though on paper it makes sense that the rebuilding Orioles would non-tender a player of Alberto’s status this Winter, it seems like the infielder from the Dominican Republic took it personally. He is using the Orioles’ decision as motivation to make the Royals roster.

Alberto’s offense and defense as a Royal this Spring has been impressive, and he has also showed some improved plate discipline as well, as he is posting a BB/K ratio of 1.5, which is nearly 1.3 points higher than his career BB/K ratio (0.21). While it’s unlikely that Alberto is not a 1.5 ratio hitter, it could be a sign that Alberto is honing his batting eye at the plate, which would only complement his supreme contact skills as a hitter nicely.

That being said, as typical with any players’ Spring Training numbers, Alberto’s stats should also be taken with a grain of salt. According to Baseball Reference, his opponent quality score this Spring is 7.6, which is fourth-highest of Royals infielders, but still translates to roughly Triple-A competition, if not slightly below. Therefore, while Alberto is looking impressive now, it will be interesting to see how his stat line would fare if given the full-time position at second base in Kansas City in 2021.

It’s tough to tell whether Alberto is ready for the Royals’ starting second base position just yet. At the very least though, he has earned a spot on the 26-man roster, and should at the very least be seen as a utility infielder off the Royals bench for Mike Matheny to use in 2021.

While Alberto’s strong Spring has warranted him consideration for the Royals’ starting second base position, this possibility wouldn’t be a discussion if Lopez was raking this Spring. Unfortunately, after posting a 56 and 55 wRC+ in his first two seasons in the Majors (2019 and 2020), things have been pretty bad for the light-hitting, glove-first middle infielder in Cactus League play.

In 15 games and 38 plate appearances, Lopez is posting a .121/.237/.152 slash with a .388 OPS. Considering Lopez has a career .586 OPS in 548 plate appearances, this current stat line this Spring is not necessarily a promising sign that Lopez is on the upswing offensively for 2021.

What has been particularly alarming about Lopez in Cactus League play has been the extraordinary amount of strikeouts at this dish. Lopez currently has struck out 13 times, which leads all Royals infielders, and is the third-highest total for Royals hitters. In fact, Lopez is only behind Jorge Soler (15) and Ryan O’Hearn (14), who are two Royals hitters known for swinging and whiffing at the plate the past couple of seasons. However, Soler and O’Hearn have power to make up for the swing and miss tendencies, as they have combined for seven home runs this Spring.

Lopez on the other hand has only one extra base hit this Spring (a double).

Unfortunately, this has been a trend for Lopez, who increased his whiffs significantly in his sophomore season in Kansas City. Known for being a high-contact hitter in the Minors, Lopez posted a 21.4 percent strikeout rate in 2020, a nearly nine point jump from his 12.7 percent mark in 2019. Furthermore, the highest strikeout rate Lopez posted in the Minors, according to Fangraphs, was 11.5 percent in 2017 during his first stint in Double-A Northwest Arkansas. While an adjustment period to Major League hitters was to be expected for Lopez, a strikeout rate above 20 percent last year, and little improvements made in that area this Spring, should have Royals fans worried about the outlook at second. Hence, it’s not surprising that Alberto is being considered for the position, in addition to Bobby Witt, Jr., who may be a August or September call-up and take over at second as well, should he tear up Double-A pitching in 2021.

I have talked about this before, but it will be interesting to see if Lopez will find a way to cut down on his swing and utilize that “oppo” approach that made him so effective at Creighton University and in the Minors. With the hype about gaining weight and strength, it seemed like Lopez tried add more power behind his swing in 2020, and it proved to be fruitless: his ISO actually regressed from .084 in 2019 to .065 in 2020. Therefore, it will be interesting to see if Lopez could focus more on contact and plate discipline in 2021, and less on a “power” approach, which only hurt him at the plate last season.

That being said, it seems like Lopez has been in his head this Spring, unable to shake the “ghosts” that have haunted him at the plate since debuting in 2019. Lopez certainly has the potential to be a better hitter, and his glove is legitimately Gold Glove worthy. If all things click, it’s possible that Lopez could be a Kolten Wong-lite kind of player. However, with Whit Merrifield having the ability to play second base, and Alberto lurking, Lopez will have to prove quickly in 2021 that he can hit well enough at the MLB level to be not only a starting infielder, but even a utility one as well.

As Spring Training comes to a close, all signs point that Lopez is still slightly in the lead, especially in the midst of the demotion of Kyle Isbel, who was absolutely raking this Spring. Matheny and Dayton Moore value defense, and Lopez is significantly better defensively than not only Alberto, but even Whit as well.

That being said, the bat has to come through for Lopez to keep the position, and he has to be able to show significant improvement within the first month of play. A slow start in April could not only mean a lost starting position for Lopez, but perhaps a demotion to Triple-A Omaha, as the Minor League season begins in May.

And if Lopez is demoted, it will be interesting to see then if Alberto will get a full-time shot at second.

[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:37 AM 03-25-2021

Mike Matheny on Kyle Isbel, who is starting today in RF for the second straight game: "He's another guy who is in the mix and conversation (for the Opening Day roster). We're trying to get as many looks as we can before we make our final decision."

— Alec Lewis (@alec_lewis) March 25, 2021

[Reply]
tk13 03-25-2021, 11:38 AM
This message has been deleted by tk13.
tk13 11:44 AM 03-25-2021
That was good timing. I was about to say everyone's talking about Witt, but I think they're discounting Isbel. Then Matheny said that.
[Reply]
tk13 12:11 PM 03-25-2021

White Sox general manager Rick Hahn says Eloy Jiménez suffered a rupture of his left pectoral tendon. He needs surgery, and Hahn says the recovery timeline is typically 5-6 months

— James Fegan (@JRFegan) March 25, 2021

[Reply]
cabletech94 12:53 PM 03-25-2021
That’s got to be worth 3 to 4 wins for the boys in blue right there, AMIRITE?!
[Reply]
Page 46 of 440
« First < 364243444546 474849505696146 > Last »
Up