ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 333
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
BWillie 11:43 AM 03-25-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Bally is such a terrible company. Those motherfuckers got into so many contracts with different teams and botched it worse than any company I've ever seen when it comes to broadcasting.
I really like how they make me log in everyday, so Ive just quit watching
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 12:11 PM 03-25-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
This sounds like a great opportunity for the MLB to do something forward thinking with half of their league to make sure more people can actually watch the games.

But I expect them to lose the ball in the sun on this, as usual.
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...a4d68050b.html

The broadcast company’s bankruptcy filing this week that burst professional sports rights-fee bubble will cause immediate financial concerns but ultimately force an overdue “reset” that shoves the industry and Major League Baseball away from a “broken” model toward a better, more accessible product for fans, a Cardinals executive said.

Diamond Sports Group, parent company of Bally Sports Midwest, the regional sports network partner of the Cardinals and Blues, submitted for bankruptcy protection late Tuesday night as it restructures $8 billion in debt. Some teams and leagues are bracing for a lower volume on revenues and the potential for broadcast deals to be unplugged.

The Cardinals are “pretty confident” there won’t be any interruption to their game broadcasts as the regular season opens March 30, club president Bill DeWitt III assured Friday morning.

They do hope for change to how games are broadcast — and soon.

“(Fans) care about the games. Are they watching the games?” DeWitt told the Post-Dispatch after meeting with sponsors on their annual visit to the team’s spring training complex at Roger Dean Stadium. “Right now, the reality is we have a lot of fans who want to and cannot watch the games anyway because of cord-cutting. Let’s say they’re Cardinals fans and there is no direct-to-consumer product for them. They can get every game but the Cardinals through MLB.TV. It’s already broken. I’m actually somewhat optimistic that this whole process will fix our distribution problems that we have right now. Which are real.

“From a fan’s standpoint, I actually don’t see it getting worse. I see it getting better,” DeWitt continued. “From a team standpoint, it’s scary. From a fan’s standpoint, they should be like, ‘Bring it on.’ Bring on a new model.”

The Cardinals have tied their spending on payroll to the $1.1 billion rights fee deal struck with Bally Sports Midwest that began in 2018, and the bulk of that payout remains in the years ahead. The Cardinals are owed around $70 million for the 2023 season.

A payment from Bally Sports to the Cardinals is due in April, and the club expects that to be paid on time and unaffected by the bankruptcy process.

“If they don’t make payments on rights fees that’s a problem for the industry, including us,” DeWitt said. “Our particular RSN is in a little bit better shape than some of the others. So, they say, if the entities are solvent they’ll probably get preserved as opposed to resetting. Short term, I think we’re in OK shape. When you go further out on the chessboard, I think there are a lot of ways this could go.”

As part of their broadcast rights deal, the Cardinals have a minority ownership stake in Bally Sports Midwest. That was originally seen as an additional source of revenue, a way to share in the profits of the broadcast that have since shriveled. The team has since sold a slice of that ownership back.

The Cardinals plotted their payroll plans and budget for the 2023 season knowing there was turbulence ahead for the existing rights-fee model. By opening day, they expected to have 80% of their tickets sold, and they had a season ticket renewal rate of greater than 90%. This past winter, the Cardinals and the 29 other major-league clubs received a $30 million share of Disney’s final payoff for a tech business purchase from MLB. The Cardinals positioned themselves to try and avoid any staff reduction or cutbacks in 2023.

“I think that’s premature … and in some ways the season, financially, is already pretty clear,” DeWitt said. “For next year, who knows? Tell me how we do on the field. I think ’23 looks good regardless, even if the Bally’s (situation) is some concern, we’ll figure out something. I’m not predicting short-term meltdown for our finances. There might need to be a readjustment if one of those scenarios leads to lower revenues for every club.”

What created this broadcast bind for teams like the Cardinals and RSNs like Bally Sports Midwest was the large purchase of the networks by Sinclair’s Diamond Sports Group and the sudden plummet of subscribers. For the past decade, live sporting events have been among the most desired broadcast properties because they were a rarity in a streaming world: appointment viewing with the inability to fast-forward through the advertisements. The cost of the sports channels could also be folded into a cable bill so that all subscribers were covering the cost, whether they watched the sports or not. The Cardinals were one of the teams that capitalized their reach and their ratings for a new deal as rights fees soared throughout baseball. That fueled spending on free agents and payrolls.

Cord-cutting led to a dramatic plummet in subscribers, reducing it by almost half in the past 12 years, and the numbers are still falling.

At the same time, sports teams, particularly MLB, have maintained an archaic blackout policy that limits a fan’s access to teams within geographic regions. In some areas where the Cardinals could reach fans through a streaming service, they and five other teams are blacked out. DeWitt told the sponsors Friday that a goal of any modernized broadcast plan should be “full distribution in the market.” He was blunt in his view of blackout restrictions.

“They stink,” he told sponsors. “You’re telling a customer who wants your product they cannot have it.”

Major League Baseball augmented its staff in the commissioner’s office to prepare for this rights-fee reckoning and is preparing to mobilize broadcast plans for any location that loses its rights deal and distribution due to Diamond Sports’ bankruptcy. They may offer those games to local fans via streaming. Teams, like the Cardinals, are workshopping “what if” scenarios. DeWitt outlined three possible outcomes.

Diamond Sports could continue to run viable RSNs and work with the Cardinals and other teams for a new agreement. Or, a third party could purchase the RSNs out of Diamond Sports’ bankruptcy and then teams are dealing with a new partner.

Or, MLB “gets into the business of broadcasting,” DeWitt said.

That would eliminate the RSNs but it also would radically alter rights fees so that teams and leagues get the revenue they generate and have to address disparity between markets.

“We don’t know which one is going to play out,” DeWitt said. “Those are three of the options. There are varying degrees of angst about each.”

Even as the channels change, there is one signal coming through clear.

Change.

“If we can get this going — even if it takes a disaster in local media to make that happen,” DeWitt said. “It’s both a cause for angst but also a cause for an opportunity as well for the industry to do a reset that would provide us with the framework for a better arrangement.”
[Reply]
kstater 12:30 PM 03-25-2023
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Of course I have but Bally being in bankruptcy doesn't mean the existing deals no longer exist.
As soon as they miss a payment it will. The teams(with MLB's backing) will void them immediately

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:47 PM 03-25-2023
MLB has to have by far the dumbest ownership/commissioner in all pro sports. Just money hungry idiots.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:53 PM 03-25-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
MLB has to have by far the dumbest ownership/commissioner in all pro sports. Just money hungry idiots.
No the NBA owns that title.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:37 PM 03-25-2023
Why in the world is Singer not opening day pitcher?
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:08 PM 03-25-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
No the NBA owns that title.
Not even close. MLB doesn't allow most of its fans to watch games. How the hell are you gonna grow your fan base if no one can even watch the local team easily. It's been like this awhile.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:16 PM 03-25-2023
Originally Posted by BWillie:
He should be, but they want the dude with the experience. I'm really excited for singer this year. He's a dark horse CY Young candidate.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 04:21 PM 03-25-2023
I would guess because he mostly sat on the bench for the WBC instead of getting his arm ready for the season in spring training.
[Reply]
Mecca 05:20 PM 03-25-2023
His arm isn't built up enough because of the WBC, with the Lynch injury the Royals only have 3 pitchers ready to throw starter pitch counts.

Also Lovelady, Taylor and Staumont got optioned to AAA.
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:39 PM 03-25-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
His arm isn't built up enough because of the WBC, with the Lynch injury the Royals only have 3 pitchers ready to throw starter pitch counts.

Yeah that's the shitty part of playing in a meaningless baseball tournament.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:45 PM 03-25-2023

Ahh makes sense. I haven't followed our bullpen except for Chapman. Surprising Staumont and Lovelady are starting down there.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:13 PM 03-25-2023
Rumor has it Taylor and Lovelady were told keep doing what you're doing and has to do with them coming off injury...

Staumont got sent down for not throwing strikes...
[Reply]
Mecca 02:17 PM 03-27-2023

Randy Rosenberg ejected JT Realmuto for… this? pic.twitter.com/9VBSKWONza

— �� Toronto Sports Blog (@TorontoSportsBl) March 27, 2023

Soft..very soft
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:20 PM 03-27-2023

Soft..very soft
:-)
[Reply]
Page 41 of 333