Page 33 of 49
« First < 232930313233 3435363743 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Willie Gay Jr. Thread*****
Dante84 07:30 PM 04-24-2020
More to come!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
ChiefAshhole1056 01:40 AM 12-01-2020
Think he’s a liability in coverage and they didn’t want to expose him against Brady. He just would’ve been picked on every time he was on the field. Needs to get in the playbook and figure out what his responsibilities are on any given play, otherwise we’re just going to get the occasional splash plays and some ST snaps. It’s still early, his time will come.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 02:09 AM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Honestly, I'd say there was something else going on maybe.

Because we've faced similar opponents and he's gotten more than 1 snap.

On a completely different note - Armani Watts played 2 snaps and gave up a TD on one of them. :-)
To be fair, Ward gave up the TD, but Watts was definitely way out of position.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 02:21 AM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole1056:
Think he’s a liability in coverage and they didn’t want to expose him against Brady. He just would’ve been picked on every time he was on the field. Needs to get in the playbook and figure out what his responsibilities are on any given play, otherwise we’re just going to get the occasional splash plays and some ST snaps. It’s still early, his time will come.
Rob Gronkowski ran a 4.68 at the combine 10 years ago. He is definitely slower than that now.

Willie Gay Jr. ran a 4.46 at this year's combine.

Covering Gronk with Willie would not have "exposed" him. I don't think he is too stupid to understand playing a tight end in coverage.

And he couldn't have performed worse than Hitchens did on the Evans TD on the left side of the end zone. Hitchens gets confused with the pick and just basically stands still in the end zone, and when Evans catches the TD pass, Hitchens looks like he is stunned.

Now, why was Hitchens even playing coverage in that down and distance at the goal line? Who knows, but Gay Jr. couldn't play worse than that.

[Reply]
htismaqe 08:17 AM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
To be fair, Ward gave up the TD, but Watts was definitely way out of position.

Ward thought he had deep help. That's the safety's job.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 08:19 AM 12-01-2020
Ward thought he had deep help. That's the safety's job.
Ward gets out of position almost immediately, and puts his hand on Evans' chest to slow him down. Watts was definitely out of position, but Ward knew immediately that he screwed up. He pulled his hand off, seemingly worried about a penalty, but he should have just flat out grabbed Evans and taken away any chance for a catch.

[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:01 AM 12-01-2020
Honestly, I'd say there was something else going on maybe.

Because we've faced similar opponents and he's gotten more than 1 snap.

On a completely different note - Armani Watts played 2 snaps and gave up a TD on one of them. :-)
Not exactly a great sign, but hopefully he'll get more snaps this week against Denver. I know the physical traits are there, just hope he can pick up the mental aspect. This team doesn't exactly have a great track record of developing linebackers, but they have to get this one right because the cupboard is pretty barren there.
[Reply]
scho63 10:17 AM 12-01-2020
I've been seeing Gay on more and more tackles and good hits as well.

Think his confidence is building and seeing the field is getting better. Unlike Dee Ford.
[Reply]
ChiefAshhole1056 10:32 AM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
Rob Gronkowski ran a 4.68 at the combine 10 years ago. He is definitely slower than that now.

Willie Gay Jr. ran a 4.46 at this year's combine.

Covering Gronk with Willie would not have "exposed" him. I don't think he is too stupid to understand playing a tight end in coverage.

And he couldn't have performed worse than Hitchens did on the Evans TD on the left side of the end zone. Hitchens gets confused with the pick and just basically stands still in the end zone, and when Evans catches the TD pass, Hitchens looks like he is stunned.

Now, why was Hitchens even playing coverage in that down and distance at the goal line? Who knows, but Gay Jr. couldn't play worse than that.

I wouldn’t equate combine 40’s to a players ability to get open (or cover), otherwise Henry Ruggs would be lighting the league up currently. Gronk had over 100 receiving yards for the first time all season this game too, so I definitely think Brady had his eye on the that matchup.

Brady has made a legendary career off exposing defenders that are confused or out of place in the defensive scheme. It may not have been Gronk but if you have Gay out there who isn’t consistently in the place Spags wants him to be in, Brady is going to take advantage of it. Maybe he’s giving tells in his stance before the snap or isn’t catching on to coverage calls, idk but there’s something going on mentally with him to justify a one snap performance in a pretty big statement game.
[Reply]
chop 10:49 AM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefAshhole1056:
Think he’s a liability in coverage and they didn’t want to expose him against Brady.
I thought I read somewhere around draft time that stated Gay was the best coverage LB in the draft so this confuses me.
[Reply]
ChiefAshhole1056 11:03 AM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by chop:
I thought I read somewhere around draft time that stated Gay was the best coverage LB in the draft so this confuses me.
He for sure has the athletic capabilities of being the best coverage LB but he can’t get the reps if the coaches aren’t comfortable with him out there yet. I’m just suggesting it’s a mental reason in terms of not having a firm enough grasp of the defense and the plays being called.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:56 AM 12-01-2020
Spags doesn't think he's ready yet.

The other day I was watching some show on ESPN or FoxSports, and they were interviewing a former player of Spags, and he said something kind of interesting about how Spags decides who plays on Sunday. Wish I could remember what show that was. Maybe I'll remember later and find a clip of it.

Anyway, the short version is that Spags wants to see a player show consistent ability, confidence, and comfort for a couple weeks in a row in practice before he puts a player on the field. And then if the player shows some uncertainty or whatever, he kind of starts over with that player. But it's not punitive. Apparently Spags doesn't want the player to get embarrassed and lose confidence, so he doesn't put the player in that position.

Anyway, based on what that player said, imo, Spags doesn't think Gay is ready yet to play an offense like what the Bucs have with a veteran QB like Brady that could pick on him for a whole game. I'd bet we'd see something similar if we had to play a healthy Brees in a few weeks.

Against DEN Gay might see a bunch of snaps, and possibly MIA as well.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:25 PM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by chop:
In terms of raw athletic ability, he CAN be a good coverage LB. He also can rush the passer and stuff the run.

His problem is experience. He missed 8 games due to suspension his junior year and then skipped his senior year to declare for the draft.

He's very, very raw when it comes to the mental aspects of the game.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 03:33 PM 12-01-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
I've been seeing Gay on more and more tackles and good hits as well.

Think his confidence is building and seeing the field is getting better. Unlike Dee Ford.
Attached: download.jpeg (6.7 KB) 
[Reply]
RunKC 02:19 PM 12-07-2020
So close to getting another sack on that Matheui INT. He’s so damn fast.

The Landlord will take that ���� @Mathieu_Era

��: @SNFonNBC | #ProBowlVote pic.twitter.com/Wje7YKEzPs

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) December 7, 2020

[Reply]
Dante84 12:17 AM 12-09-2020

Gay showing off the athletic ability when he is able to come down hill and close. So much athletic promise there. #JacobsEyeInTheSky #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/cTO9RN4ZlJ

— Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) December 9, 2020

[Reply]
Page 33 of 49
« First < 232930313233 3435363743 > Last »
Up