ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 29
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Media Center>So....Dune 2020. Cool?
Amnorix 03:03 PM 08-19-2019
I learned today for the first time that a remake of the awesome book (and decidedly less awesome early 80s movie) Dune is being made, and is currently in post-production with a release date of December 18, 2020.

The cast includes many I don't know, but the ones I do know seem excellent for their roles. It's damn near a Marvel reunion...

Jason Mamoa as Duncan Idaho (the swordmaster of House Atreides)

Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck (weaponsmaster of House Atreides, played memorably (and surprisingly) by Patrick Stewart in the original movie

Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen

Dave Bautista (better known as Drax the Destroyer) as "Beast" Rabban, the nephew of Harkonnen

The most critical guy -- the one playing Paul is unknown to me. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t3

This film is also only going to cover the first half of the book, which is good. It's really not possible to cover the whole thing in one 2 or 3 hour movie.

Anyway -- I love the book and a really good film would be great. What say you about all this news? Or am I just the last to known (as would be typical, to be honest!)
[Reply]
unlurking 02:21 PM 12-16-2020
That sucks. I was so looking forward to this becoming a franchise. Loved his take on Blade Runner.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:00 PM 12-16-2020
Movies like this were made to be seen at the theater. I for one will be doing that.
[Reply]
Shoes 10:20 AM 07-22-2021
Another Dune trailer, Oct 22 release date. Enjoy:

[Reply]
Fish 10:27 AM 07-22-2021
Oh wow!
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:52 AM 07-22-2021
I am Smiling.

:-)

I love Brolin.

However this turns out they're for sure giving it the good faith effort.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:08 AM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Oh wow!
My God.

This may actually be the movie we deserve.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:19 AM 07-22-2021
Certainly looks better than the previous shit efforts.

Except....

The Fremen eyes are still wrong. BEADS OF DARK GLASS. It's right there in the fucking book. :-)
The Baron isn't fat enough.
Gurney is supposed to be lumpy and ugly. And Josh Brolin is about as ugly as Patrick Stewart.

One the other hand, it looks right. The combat is hand-to-hand, as its supposed to be. No weirding modules. And I do like the way the shields look. And they did a great job with the sandworms.

Oh well. I'm fairly convinced at this point that the only person who could do Dune to my complete satisfaction is me. And since that's not going to happen, I guess I'll hold out hope that the good will outweigh the bad.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:22 AM 07-22-2021
Also, there is a fairly long piece on YouTube featuring interviews with several of the principal actors. Unfortunately, it's hosted by Stephen Colbert, and I'm not watching anything with that cocksucker in it, or even providing a link. But it's out there.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:35 AM 07-22-2021
Holy shit that looks amazing.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:06 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Also, there is a fairly long piece on YouTube featuring interviews with several of the principal actors. Unfortunately, it's hosted by Stephen Colbert, and I'm not watching anything with that cocksucker in it, or even providing a link. But it's out there.
Not worth it with Colbert as the host.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 12:18 PM 07-22-2021
Looks awesome. Probably see in theaters if it is good
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:29 PM 07-22-2021
I think this looks great. But man, Dune looks like a tough sell. I don’t see this being a big hit. Very little ‘mainstream’ appeal.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:43 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I think this looks great. But man, Dune looks like a tough sell. I don’t see this being a big hit. Very little ‘mainstream’ appeal.
That was the problem with Blade Runner 2049. He made a beautiful, wonderful film that the younger generation didn't give a shit about because most of them never saw the original and weren't alive when it came out.

I doubt if they read many 56-year-old novels, either.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:50 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
That was the problem with Blade Runner 2049. He made a beautiful, wonderful film that the younger generation didn't give a shit about because most of them never saw the original and weren't alive when it came out.

I doubt if they read many 56-year-old novels, either.
That was some of it. I love both Bladerunner films.

But the first one wasn’t a big hit either. They are not for everyone. Far from mainstream sci-fi.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:51 PM 07-22-2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dun...hn-1235024854/

Dune’ HBO Max Series Enlists Diane Ademu-John as New Showrunner (EXCLUSIVE)

Variety has learned exclusively that Diane Ademu-John has boarded “Dune: The Sisterhood” in the role of writer, showrunner, and executive producer. Jon Spaihts had previously been attached to run the series, but he stepped down in November 2019 to focus on writing the script for the second of the “Dune” reboot films.

The show was ordered straight-to-series at HBO Max in June 2019. Set in the universe of Frank Herbert’s epic “Dune” novel series, “Dune: The Sisterhood” is told through the eyes of a mysterious order of women known as the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis, known to its inhabitants as Dune. It will serve as a prequel to the films.

Ademu-John most recently worked as an executive producer and writer on the Netflix horror series “The Haunting of Bly Manor.” Prior to that, she worked on shows such as “Empire” at Fox, “The Originals” and “The Vampire Diaries” at The CW, and “Medium” and “Crossing Jordan” at NBC. She is repped by Paradigm, Atlas Literary, and Jackoway Austen Tyerman. Denis Villeneuve is still attached to direct the pilot for the series. Along with Spaihts, Villeneuve, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate will executive produce along with Scott Z. Burns. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce. The series hails from Legendary Television, with Legendary also producing the upcoming film reboot.

The “Dune” series is one of several upcoming shows at HBO Max that are tied into new films. The streamer is also currently working on the “Peacemaker” series starring John Cena, reprising his role from the new “Suicide Squad” film, as well as a Gotham PD series that is tied into the events of “The Batman” starring Robert Pattinson.

The first new “Dune” film was supposed to hit theaters last year before its release was delayed due to the pandemic. It will now arrive in theaters on Oct. 22 in addition to being available on HBO Max. A full-length trailer dropped on Thursday. Spaihts and Villeneuve also co-wrote the screenplay for the film along with Eric Roth. Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, and Dave Bautista are among those attached to star. The book had previously been adapted into a 1984 film written and directed by David Lynch.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 29
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up