ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 14
< 12 345612 > Last »
Media Center>AVATAR 2
sully1983 02:11 PM 09-25-2017
Filming just started today (after months of pre production). James Cameron is set to make 4 sequels. Are you looking forward to the sequel(s)? I can't decide if he's either crazy or brilliant lol. At this point though, I think it would be foolish to bet against Cameron. People thought he was crazy making a 200 million dollar budget about a sinking ship and they thought Avatar would flop too (both are the highest grossest films of all time)

Avatar 2 will be in theaters December 18th, 2020.

I loved Avatar. I thought the 3rd act was worth the price of admission alone. Saw it twice in IMAX 3D (I very rarely would do something like that but I liked it so much the 1st time I had to see it again) So count me in on looking forward to the sequels.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 03:51 PM 09-26-2017
Electric Boogaloo.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:37 PM 09-26-2017
I love Cameron, but would prefer him to work on other projects. Hes not getting any younger and this is going to take up so much of his time.

I wouldnt bet against him though, im sure these films will be big hits.

But its weird, i feel like no one was asking for sequels were they?

Is Disney throwing him a bunch of money because they feel like they have to justify their investment in 'Avatar World' at Animal Kingdom??
[Reply]
Bowser 08:42 PM 09-26-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The first 20 minutes were amazing - the closest thing to the wonder I felt when the first time I saw Star Wars in the theater as a child. But after that, I realized that I'd already seen Avatar, since the plot was completely unoriginal and utterly predictable. I still can't believe Cameron invested all that effort on such brilliant visuals but apparently couldn't spare anything for a decent story writer. Sort of reminded me a Vermeil's Chief teams - great offense, no defense. He gave us half a team. Cameron gave us half a movie.
Perfect comparison. Nailed it.

And I realized I had seen it as well while I was watching it. Avatar was fucking Fern Gully set in space.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:41 AM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I love Cameron, but would prefer him to work on other projects. Hes not getting any younger and this is going to take up so much of his time.
Dude, he came up with the concept and has a $1 billion dollar budget for these films. The writer's room he's put together to realize this concept is amazing.

Also, he's already announced a new Terminator trilogy starring Linda Hamilton and Arnold.

But its weird, i feel like no one was asking for sequels were they?
It's highest grossing movie of all time. Cameron knew that he was going to do at least two sequels, now it's four.

Is Disney throwing him a bunch of money because they feel like they have to justify their investment in 'Avatar World' at Animal Kingdom??
From my understanding, Disney will distribute the movies but Cameron is self-financing, just like George Lucas did with Star Wars.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:42 AM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:

And I realized I had seen it as well while I was watching it. Avatar was fucking Fern Gully set in space.
I get that but it was still really cool and the visuals were amazing.

The sequels will have underwater sequences, which should be a treat for the eyes.

What I didn't realize, and this was completely and totally unnecessary to the film, is that there is an exorbitant amount of swearing and it doesn't further the film at all.

I didn't realize it until I tried to show my oldest the film and thought "Whoa, I don't remember this at all".

Hopefully, they tone that down in the sequels.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 04:50 PM 09-27-2017
I saw it in 3D at a regular theater and was so blown away by the special effects that I saw it in 3D at IMAX also. For that point in time, the visual were pretty amazing.

Yea, the plot was meh. The funny thing is that he had to fight to get this plot. From my vague recollections of an interview he did on Charley Rose: the studio was afraid it was too pro-environment/anti-colonists and they wanted to change it to make the military the good guys and turn it into a patriotic, rah-rah film.

If he really manages to push the envelope again on movie technology, I could be enticed to see it. But I doubt it happens. Sequels usually have worse plots and the original already set a really low bar.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:42 PM 09-27-2017
Wish they would have made a True Lies 2.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:59 PM 09-27-2017
Wish they would have made a True Lies 2.
It's currently ramping up as a TV series, produced by Cameron
[Reply]
Pants 08:43 PM 09-27-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The first 20 minutes were amazing - the closest thing to the wonder I felt when the first time I saw Star Wars in the theater as a child. But after that, I realized that I'd already seen Avatar, since the plot was completely unoriginal and utterly predictable. I still can't believe Cameron invested all that effort on such brilliant visuals but apparently couldn't spare anything for a decent story writer. Sort of reminded me a Vermeil's Chief teams - great offense, no defense. He gave us half a team. Cameron gave us half a movie.
It was less of a movie for me and more of a ride. It was fucking incredible. I don't think the story was supposed to be the appeal. Although, I, personally, didn't mind its triteness.
[Reply]
sully1983 10:48 AM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I saw it in 3D at a regular theater and was so blown away by the special effects that I saw it in 3D at IMAX also. For that point in time, the visual were pretty amazing.

Yea, the plot was meh. The funny thing is that he had to fight to get this plot. From my vague recollections of an interview he did on Charley Rose: the studio was afraid it was too pro-environment/anti-colonists and they wanted to change it to make the military the good guys and turn it into a patriotic, rah-rah film.

If he really manages to push the envelope again on movie technology, I could be enticed to see it. But I doubt it happens. Sequels usually have worse plots and the original already set a really low bar.
I saw Avatar TWICE in IMAX 3D (I never do that until Avatar came around. What Cameron did was remarkable. made me feel like I was really there.)

also as far as sequels go, I agree that they are usually just cash grab crap BUT with James Cameron directing the sequels, I am fully confident he'll deliver the goods. He is the master at making sequels (Terminator 2 was fantastic . Ditto on Aliens as well) .
[Reply]
Eleazar 12:00 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by Bowser:

And I realized I had seen it as well while I was watching it. Avatar was ****ing Fern Gully set in space.
Yeah, my first thought in reading this thread title was "Why?"

Of course, the amount of money it will make is the "why", even if it's also not a good movie. But the first one was so thin it almost wasn't even a movie.

I wonder if even the viewers who want to see films in 3D are accustomed to 3D now. Would Avatar today be even a blip?

Sure, I'm sure they will find a way to add some additional cool visuals, but the first one was probably the most disappointing film I can remember seeing since The Phantom Menace. I can't imagine going to a theater for a sequel.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:23 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by Pants:
It was less of a movie for me and more of a ride. It was ****ing incredible. I don't think the story was supposed to be the appeal. Although, I, personally, didn't mind its triteness.
Right. And is that ride really going to be worth anything with 4 sequels with a story that will most likely get even more lame?
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:35 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
From my understanding, Disney will distribute the movies but Cameron is self-financing, just like George Lucas did with Star Wars.
I thought Fox was financing and distributing again?

Don't know why he would self-finance given his deal on the last one.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:41 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
I thought Fox was financing and distributing again?

Don't know why he would self-finance given his deal on the last one.
Oh, you're right, Fox. I was thrown off by the Disney thing.

Last I heard, Fox was pitching in around $300 million with Cameron to finance the rest. I don't know if that's still the case since he's now doing 4 sequels instead of 2.

I still don't know how they're going to get around the Stephen Lang thing, since you know, he was killed in the original but is supposedly still the baddie in the sequels.
[Reply]
Pants 08:28 PM 09-28-2017
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Right. And is that ride really going to be worth anything with 4 sequels with a story that will most likely get even more lame?
To each their own, man.

Personally, I hope to see all of them in IMAX 3D.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 14
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up