< 12 3 >
Media Center>Howard Stern - The Serial Killer phone call
Simply Red 10:55 AM 08-16-2021

After researching a bit, I found some reddit discussion here

One noteworthy snippet from Reddit link from link:

level 1
lildebbieharry
edited 2d

PLEASE stop chatting me and dming me asking for personal details, details of this experience, whether he looks like XYZ I am not going to respond to them and it makes me incredibly uncomfortable for y’all to show up in my dms and ask me this, please just comment here if you have something to say about this because I am honestly about to delete this comment, I’m really grossed out by this! please stop!!!

This could be and probably is totally fake and this is all a coincidence but I have the chills right now. I was a SW in New Orleans from about 2012-2014 and did the whole Seeking Arrangements thing, this was during a really rough period of my life, I was a young dumb alcoholic trying to get through school and deal with a shit ton of repressed trauma at the same time so I was engaging in a lot of reckless behavior that scares the **** out of me now. Most of the men I met were positive and non-sexual experiences but there are about 4 men that have stuck with me because when I was around them I was on edge the entire time (yes I've read the Gift of Fear and highly recommend it). One of them's name was Clay and he was what prompted me to quit the whole thing altogether immediately. I clicked on this thinking "what would be the odds"...... and now I feel sick. His voice sounds just like it would have if he had been a little younger, and by the time I met him he had 2 teenage daughters whose mom was in the picture but they had never married. He very obviously had a *lot* of resentment toward her and mentioned they almost got married but "it didn't work out" and the engagement broke off. He has lived in New Orleans or Southern Louisiana basically his whole life with the exception of having family out in Mississippi. He worked in the athletic department at one of the universities in the city and used to be in construction.

I only met him twice. The first time was to meet for coffee in public to talk about what we were looking for. He said he wanted to take care of a girl in college and be like a mentor, pay for books so I could focus on class, all the typical stuff these guys say, but I got very no-nonsense and down to business vibes from him without feeling like he was dangerous.

Completely different story the next time. He contacted me and asked if I needed money for books or anything. I told him that would be amazing since I needed to go pick mine up and the bill was huge. He told me to meet him at "his store" and gave me the address. He had mentioned this store before and from what I understood, it was open and busy. When I got there, he hustled me in and I quickly realized this was absolutely not an open or busy store front. There was lumber and power tools everywhere, no signage anywhere, it was an empty storefront with construction stuff inside. He quickly made sure to tell me they were doing renovations (I hate that I believed him) and asked me to come back to the back with him to grab the money. This is where I should have turned and said I need to go, but I didn't and I followed him. It turned out "the back room" was an empty room with no electricity. The only thing I saw in the dark was a mattress with no sheets on the floor but it was kind of too late by then because he had locked the door and was forcing me down on it. I don't really want to go into the details of what happened next, but at the end I immediately jumped up, unlocked the door, and drove home in my underwear. He watched me leave from the back room's doorway with a look of ... just nothing in his eyes. It was like he was bored and he didn't bother trying to fight me or talk me out of it, as soon as I was out of that back room's door it felt like he was a spider and I was a fly who had gotten away, like bored acceptance he wasn't going to change it so he let me leave. I remember thinking and have thought again and again since then that I absolutely escaped something worse than what he already did.

Everything about this call lines up with this man. I just have such a hard time believing that a) this would be the same person and b) this person is serious, but I am shaking right now because the similarities are so alarming that if it turned out to be him it would not surprise me at all. I guess no one ever identified this person based on the comments on the video? I would love to be wrong about that and be able to confirm this isn't the same "Clay".

Edit: I also specifically remembering him telling me what I was doing was risky when I first met him, but that came up maybe 25% of the time so I didn't think much of it. But he really wanted to talk about my experiences, etc (hard no) and what precautions I was taking to stay safe (also a hard ****ing no). I remember him being really REALLY interested in the fact I went to a "prestigious" school and had friends and *seemed* like I had my shit together (an act!) and was engaging in sex work (this is really stupid, we're everywhere). I thought he was just being a weirdo dude but after what happened I always felt like he was trying to figure out just what he could pull off and what loopholes in "safety" I had missed, which is the reason I didn't share those kinds of things. Either way, I am reminded how glad I made it out of that period of my life relatively unscathed.

Edit 2: thanks to everyone who has responded to this. I have CPTSD and as part of my recovery I’ve really been working on trying not to find patterns or connect dots that aren’t there but that my brain tries to convince me are. I figured this would be a “wow that’s creepy but probably nothing” thing but your validation that the similarities are real and something to be taken seriously is incredibly helpful and after sleeping on it, I am currently writing down every fact I can remember and am going to try to reach out to NOPD, state police, and the FBI. My gut reaction about this is anger at the system for not giving a shit about SW or vulnerable individuals in general but I can’t sit with this knowing there’s a chance it’s something. So thank you for your encouragement.

Some say this is a BS call others say it's most likely real. Thought it was interesting enough to bounce off of CP's Media crew.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:46 AM 08-17-2021
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Very well could be. Stern is so quick on his feet to ask the specific questions that may conceivably distinguish this dude. Stern is actually very smart. I'm not sure if this is real but I'm not sure it's fake, I'd imagine it's someone messing around. You never know. The Reddit article makes it somewhat interesting.
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Stern is so quick on his feet to ask the specific questions that may conceivably distinguish this dude. Stern is actually very smart. I'm not sure if this is real but I'm not sure it's fake, I'd imagine it's someone messing around. You never know. The Reddit article makes it somewhat interesting.
Q Hammocks
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:38 PM 08-17-2021
Originally Posted by lcarus:
Wow somehow I had never heard this. I've heard a lot of Howard Stern over the years and I'm pretty much a junkie for true crime/serial killer stuff. Interesting. Who knows if it was just a bit or if the guy was a complete liar. Or if he was completely telling the truth.

Please if you have time watch The Killing Season. It aired on A&E and is only like 8 episodes. Focuses mainly on the Long Island Serial Killer but also on murders in Atlantic City, Daytona Beach, Oklahoma City and other places. There's basically a network of serial killer truck drivers who go around the country murdering prostitutes and dumping them all over. That's the theory anyway. Chilling shit.
Ive been on a serial killer binge lately too. I had to give it a break and started listening to cult stuff, which is a bit more PG.

All the details of the rapes, assaults, fucked up ways they kill.....it becomes overwhelming.

What's astonishing is how many serial killers we've seen in the last 5 decades. Most of which most have likely never heard of.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:01 PM 08-17-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Stern is so quick on his feet to ask the specific questions that may conceivably distinguish this dude. Stern is actually very smart. I'm not sure if this is real but I'm not sure it's fake, I'd imagine it's someone messing around. You never know. The Reddit article makes it somewhat interesting.
I’ve always thought Stern was a master behind the mic. The questions he asks to his guests are so good. He really makes them open up.
[Reply]
Cheater5 07:50 PM 08-17-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Ive been on a serial killer binge lately too. I had to give it a break and started listening to cult stuff, which is a bit more PG.

All the details of the rapes, assaults, ****ed up ways they kill.....it becomes overwhelming.

What's astonishing is how many serial killers we've seen in the last 5 decades. Most of which most have likely never heard of.

Yeah I binge these kinds of shows from time to time. I’m watching ‘Invisible Monsters: Serial Killers in America’ on A&E as I’m typing this. It covers Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, BTK, and the Green River Killer. So far it’s fairly well done, and uses actual Police interview tapes with the killers, victims who survived or escaped, and FBI profilers. I was a teenager in the 80s and I vaguely remember these guys— it’s nuts to think they all operated at the same time.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:50 AM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
Yeah I binge these kinds of shows from time to time. I’m watching ‘Invisible Monsters: Serial Killers in America’ on A&E as I’m typing this. It covers Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, BTK, and the Green River Killer. So far it’s fairly well done, and uses actual Police interview tapes with the killers, victims who survived or escaped, and FBI profilers. I was a teenager in the 80s and I vaguely remember these guys— it’s nuts to think they all operated at the same time.
Yeah it seems like the 60's-80's was a great time to be a serial killer.

The amount of serial killers in that time frame is staggering. Most just focus on the guys who got all the media attention. The "household names" so to speak, such as those you listed. But man, there were so fucking many of them, most of which i would've never heard of or known about before. They just quietly get swept under the rug. They and their victims....out of sight, out of mind.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 01:47 PM 08-18-2021
The best fake phone call on the air to a live TV show I ever heard was this call about Bob Hope's death. I heard it live in 2003 when I was watching CNN and this call came in and sounded so real, then at 1:20 the anchor realizes she's been had.

[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:43 PM 08-18-2021
Damn, I didn't need to watch this. I'm dropping my daughter off at her college dorm tomorrow.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:37 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
The best fake phone call on the air to a live TV show I ever heard was this call about Bob Hope's death. I heard it live in 2003 when I was watching CNN and this call came in and sounded so real, then at 1:20 the anchor realizes she's been had.

Captain Janks is a prank call legend. He's done that to CNN like 10 times.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:56 PM 08-18-2021
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:

Oh hey DeepPurple, hope you're well friend!
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:59 PM 08-18-2021
With Elijah Wood? I've heard of that movie.

Also, as I was listening to that Stern clip, it's hilarious that Howard asked him if he was gonna commit suicide and he responded with "Nah. Then I wouldn't be able to see the new Batman movie". Which in 1997 was of course...Batman & Robin. Eesh. Maybe he should've just killed himself....
IMHO The Killing Season is worthy of an independent thread, there's a lull around episodes 3,4 - aside from that these film makers do an excellent job.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:09 AM 08-19-2021
IMHO The Killing Season is worthy of an independent thread, there's a lull around episodes 3,4 - aside from that these film makers do an excellent job.
Yeah it does. I was hoping for another season but it never came. They could've really expanded on that investigation.

Shannan Gilbert is the case I remember the most. The girl who called 911 and said someone was chasing her and trying to kill her. Then they found her corpse in the marsh....and 5 other bodies that started the Long Island Serial Killer saga. Yet the police claim that she was just crazy and drowned accidentally while running through the marsh. I don't see how they could possibly come to that conclusion.

Then that internet tip that accused the police officer of being the killer. And the IP address was linked back to the police station. They call that ex-police officer and he hardly even denies it. He just says "Hmm, that's odd. Oh well."

Not even scratching the surface of all the shit in those 8 episodes. Albuquerque, Oklahoma City, Daytona Beach, Atlantic City. There's a lot of killers out there. Who knows how many victims that guy killed who was shot by the hooker who grabbed his gun.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:43 AM 08-19-2021

Shannan Gilbert is the case I remember the most. The girl who called 911 and said someone was chasing her and trying to kill her. Then they found her corpse in the marsh....and 5 other bodies that started the Long Island Serial Killer saga. Yet the police claim that she was just crazy and drowned accidentally while running through the marsh. I don't see how they could possibly come to that conclusion.

Then that internet tip that accused the police officer of being the killer. And the IP address was linked back to the police station. They call that ex-police officer and he hardly even denies it. He just says "Hmm, that's odd. Oh well."
A common theme when listening to these serial killer pods or docu-series is police incompetence. Sometimes due to bigotry (Dahmer for exmaple) sometimes denial....sometimes maybe even a cover up or sheer ineptitude. Things that in hindsight make you go, "WTF?!?!?!"

How about that that gay black kid that escaped Jeffrey Dahmer?

For those who haven't heard that one, one of Dahmer's victims escaped his apartment. He was all drugged up and in shock from Dahmer's torture and was rather incoherent and out of his mind. Some good samaritans found him in the street and called the police, knowing that he was with Dahmer.

The police show up, question the victim and questioned Dahmer. Dahmer insisted that the victim was his boyfriend, and that he got too drunk. The cops completely dismissed the good samaritans and not only believed Dahmer, but assisted both Dahmer and his victim back to Dahmer's apartment where, that night, Dahmer would drill holes into his head and pour chemicals on his brain thus killing him.

Un-fucking-real.
[Reply]
lcarus 12:01 PM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
A common theme when listening to these serial killer pods or docu-series is police incompetence. Sometimes due to bigotry (Dahmer for exmaple) sometimes denial....sometimes maybe even a cover up or sheer ineptitude. Things that in hindsight make you go, "WTF?!?!?!"

How about that that gay black kid that escaped Jeffrey Dahmer?

For those who haven't heard that one, one of Dahmer's victims escaped his apartment. He was all drugged up and in shock from Dahmer's torture and was rather incoherent and out of his mind. Some good samaritans found him in the street and called the police, knowing that he was with Dahmer.

The police show up, question the victim and questioned Dahmer. Dahmer insisted that the victim was his boyfriend, and that he got too drunk. The cops completely dismissed the good samaritans and not only believed Dahmer, but assisted both Dahmer and his victim back to Dahmer's apartment where, that night, Dahmer would drill holes into his head and pour chemicals on his brain thus killing him.

Un-fucking-real.
Yeah incompetence is rampant. You're damn right about that. The sad thing is, incompetence isn't even the worst aspect of it. In a couple of these cases, the police may very well be the killers.
[Reply]
Simply Red 06:15 PM 08-19-2021
Yeah incompetence is rampant. You're damn right about that. The sad thing is, incompetence isn't even the worst aspect of it. In a couple of these cases, the police may very well be the killers.
It's hard to believe that there is a 'dare I say' "network" of serial killers. May be too strong of word - but it's not that far off.
[Reply]
lcarus 07:05 PM 08-19-2021
It's hard to believe that there is a 'dare I say' "network" of serial killers. May be too strong of word - but it's not that far off.
I think network is the right word. The guy they interviewed in prison, who was convicted of killing like 30 hookers while working as a truck driver, even said they had a name for their gang. He could've been lying but I believed him.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up