1 23 >
Media Center>Howard Stern - The Serial Killer phone call
Simply Red 10:55 AM 08-16-2021

After researching a bit, I found some reddit discussion here

One noteworthy snippet from Reddit link from link:

level 1
lildebbieharry
edited 2d

PLEASE stop chatting me and dming me asking for personal details, details of this experience, whether he looks like XYZ I am not going to respond to them and it makes me incredibly uncomfortable for y’all to show up in my dms and ask me this, please just comment here if you have something to say about this because I am honestly about to delete this comment, I’m really grossed out by this! please stop!!!

This could be and probably is totally fake and this is all a coincidence but I have the chills right now. I was a SW in New Orleans from about 2012-2014 and did the whole Seeking Arrangements thing, this was during a really rough period of my life, I was a young dumb alcoholic trying to get through school and deal with a shit ton of repressed trauma at the same time so I was engaging in a lot of reckless behavior that scares the **** out of me now. Most of the men I met were positive and non-sexual experiences but there are about 4 men that have stuck with me because when I was around them I was on edge the entire time (yes I've read the Gift of Fear and highly recommend it). One of them's name was Clay and he was what prompted me to quit the whole thing altogether immediately. I clicked on this thinking "what would be the odds"...... and now I feel sick. His voice sounds just like it would have if he had been a little younger, and by the time I met him he had 2 teenage daughters whose mom was in the picture but they had never married. He very obviously had a *lot* of resentment toward her and mentioned they almost got married but "it didn't work out" and the engagement broke off. He has lived in New Orleans or Southern Louisiana basically his whole life with the exception of having family out in Mississippi. He worked in the athletic department at one of the universities in the city and used to be in construction.

I only met him twice. The first time was to meet for coffee in public to talk about what we were looking for. He said he wanted to take care of a girl in college and be like a mentor, pay for books so I could focus on class, all the typical stuff these guys say, but I got very no-nonsense and down to business vibes from him without feeling like he was dangerous.

Completely different story the next time. He contacted me and asked if I needed money for books or anything. I told him that would be amazing since I needed to go pick mine up and the bill was huge. He told me to meet him at "his store" and gave me the address. He had mentioned this store before and from what I understood, it was open and busy. When I got there, he hustled me in and I quickly realized this was absolutely not an open or busy store front. There was lumber and power tools everywhere, no signage anywhere, it was an empty storefront with construction stuff inside. He quickly made sure to tell me they were doing renovations (I hate that I believed him) and asked me to come back to the back with him to grab the money. This is where I should have turned and said I need to go, but I didn't and I followed him. It turned out "the back room" was an empty room with no electricity. The only thing I saw in the dark was a mattress with no sheets on the floor but it was kind of too late by then because he had locked the door and was forcing me down on it. I don't really want to go into the details of what happened next, but at the end I immediately jumped up, unlocked the door, and drove home in my underwear. He watched me leave from the back room's doorway with a look of ... just nothing in his eyes. It was like he was bored and he didn't bother trying to fight me or talk me out of it, as soon as I was out of that back room's door it felt like he was a spider and I was a fly who had gotten away, like bored acceptance he wasn't going to change it so he let me leave. I remember thinking and have thought again and again since then that I absolutely escaped something worse than what he already did.

Everything about this call lines up with this man. I just have such a hard time believing that a) this would be the same person and b) this person is serious, but I am shaking right now because the similarities are so alarming that if it turned out to be him it would not surprise me at all. I guess no one ever identified this person based on the comments on the video? I would love to be wrong about that and be able to confirm this isn't the same "Clay".

Edit: I also specifically remembering him telling me what I was doing was risky when I first met him, but that came up maybe 25% of the time so I didn't think much of it. But he really wanted to talk about my experiences, etc (hard no) and what precautions I was taking to stay safe (also a hard ****ing no). I remember him being really REALLY interested in the fact I went to a "prestigious" school and had friends and *seemed* like I had my shit together (an act!) and was engaging in sex work (this is really stupid, we're everywhere). I thought he was just being a weirdo dude but after what happened I always felt like he was trying to figure out just what he could pull off and what loopholes in "safety" I had missed, which is the reason I didn't share those kinds of things. Either way, I am reminded how glad I made it out of that period of my life relatively unscathed.

Edit 2: thanks to everyone who has responded to this. I have CPTSD and as part of my recovery I’ve really been working on trying not to find patterns or connect dots that aren’t there but that my brain tries to convince me are. I figured this would be a “wow that’s creepy but probably nothing” thing but your validation that the similarities are real and something to be taken seriously is incredibly helpful and after sleeping on it, I am currently writing down every fact I can remember and am going to try to reach out to NOPD, state police, and the FBI. My gut reaction about this is anger at the system for not giving a shit about SW or vulnerable individuals in general but I can’t sit with this knowing there’s a chance it’s something. So thank you for your encouragement.

Some say this is a BS call others say it's most likely real. Thought it was interesting enough to bounce off of CP's Media crew.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 11:23 AM 08-16-2021
Jesus.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:14 PM 08-16-2021
Fake news. I hope….
[Reply]
stumppy 05:11 PM 08-16-2021
https://murderpedia.org/male.E/e/ellwood-russell.htm

Classification: Murderer
Characteristics: Rape - Taxi driver
Number of victims: 1 -20 +
Date of murders: 1991 - 1997
Date of arrest: March 4, 1998
Date of birth: 1951
Victims profile: Women (prostitutes)
Method of murder: Strangulation

Once Accused Serial Killer Sentenced for Murder

August 18, 1999

HAHNVILLE, La. (AP) -- A former taxi driver once suspected of killing as many as 15 women was sentenced to life in prison Tuesday for the only murder authorities could pin on him.

Russell Ellwood was convicted of murdering Cheryl Lewis, 30, who was one of 26 women, most of them prostitutes, found dead in swampy areas around New Orleans from 1991 through 1996.

At the time of Ellwood's arrest in 1997, authorities said they suspected him in as many as 15 killings, and Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee claimed authorities were searching for at least four other suspects.

But no other arrests or charges ever were made, despite four years of efforts by a task force made up of the FBI, New Orleans police and four sheriff's departments. A second murder charge against Ellwood was dismissed when prosecutors learned he had an alibi that put him in Ohio at the time of a woman's death...............

:-)

More at the link
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 07:11 PM 08-16-2021
:-)GO CHIEFS!:-)
[Reply]
BWillie 08:50 PM 08-16-2021
Originally Posted by stumppy:
https://murderpedia.org/male.E/e/ellwood-russell.htm

Classification: Murderer
Characteristics: Rape - Taxi driver
Number of victims: 1 -20 +
Date of murders: 1991 - 1997
Date of arrest: March 4, 1998
Date of birth: 1951
Victims profile: Women (prostitutes)
Method of murder: Strangulation

Once Accused Serial Killer Sentenced for Murder

August 18, 1999

HAHNVILLE, La. (AP) -- A former taxi driver once suspected of killing as many as 15 women was sentenced to life in prison Tuesday for the only murder authorities could pin on him.

Russell Ellwood was convicted of murdering Cheryl Lewis, 30, who was one of 26 women, most of them prostitutes, found dead in swampy areas around New Orleans from 1991 through 1996.

At the time of Ellwood's arrest in 1997, authorities said they suspected him in as many as 15 killings, and Jefferson Parish Sheriff Harry Lee claimed authorities were searching for at least four other suspects.

But no other arrests or charges ever were made, despite four years of efforts by a task force made up of the FBI, New Orleans police and four sheriff's departments. A second murder charge against Ellwood was dismissed when prosecutors learned he had an alibi that put him in Ohio at the time of a woman's death...............

:-)

More at the link
I think that was debunked on Reddit and that Ellwood was arrested on drug charges (which Clay says he doesn't really even like drugs) 10 days before this interview and was incarcerated for 85 days.

Its not Ellwood. Either way I would guess the caller is full of it and just wants to act the part. Ppl do that all the time when they tell you their job is something it isnt if they know they will never see you again. Very possible sociopath but highly doubtful actual serial killer. Most serial killers are more ego driven or actually remorseful. Yet he is very smooth in his delivery for a liar so hard to truly know.

Im sure ppl knew about a serial killer murdering hookers in that area and just wanted to play the part.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:27 PM 08-16-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I think that was debunked on Reddit and that Ellwood was arrested on drug charges (which Clay says he doesn't really even like drugs) 10 days before this interview and was incarcerated for 85 days.

Its not Ellwood. Either way I would guess the caller is full of it and just wants to act the part. Ppl do that all the time when they tell you their job is something it isnt if they know they will never see you again. Very possible sociopath but highly doubtful actual serial killer. Most serial killers are more ego driven or actually remorseful. Yet he is very smooth in his delivery for a liar so hard to truly know.

Im sure ppl knew about a serial killer murdering hookers in that area and just wanted to play the part.
Very well could be. Stern is so quick on his feet to ask the specific questions that may conceivably distinguish this dude. Stern is actually very smart. I'm not sure if this is real but I'm not sure it's fake, I'd imagine it's someone messing around. You never know. The Reddit article makes it somewhat interesting.
[Reply]
lcarus 10:34 PM 08-16-2021
Wow somehow I had never heard this. I've heard a lot of Howard Stern over the years and I'm pretty much a junkie for true crime/serial killer stuff. Interesting. Who knows if it was just a bit or if the guy was a complete liar. Or if he was completely telling the truth.

Please if you have time watch The Killing Season. It aired on A&E and is only like 8 episodes. Focuses mainly on the Long Island Serial Killer but also on murders in Atlantic City, Daytona Beach, Oklahoma City and other places. There's basically a network of serial killer truck drivers who go around the country murdering prostitutes and dumping them all over. That's the theory anyway. Chilling shit.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:37 PM 08-16-2021
Originally Posted by lcarus:
Wow somehow I had never heard this. I've heard a lot of Howard Stern over the years and I'm pretty much a junkie for true crime/serial killer stuff. Interesting. Who knows if it was just a bit or if the guy was a complete liar. Or if he was completely telling the truth.

Please if you have time watch The Killing Season. It aired on A&E and is only like 8 episodes. Focuses mainly on the Long Island Serial Killer but also on murders in Atlantic City, Daytona Beach, Oklahoma City and other places. There's basically a network of serial killer truck drivers who go around the country murdering prostitutes and dumping them all over. That's the theory anyway. Chilling shit.
I'm watching a movie called 'Come to Daddy' tonight, but will for sure queue it up - thks!
[Reply]
lcarus 10:41 PM 08-16-2021
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
I'm watching a movie called 'Come to Daddy' tonight, but will for sure queue it up - thks!
With Elijah Wood? I've heard of that movie.

Also, as I was listening to that Stern clip, it's hilarious that Howard asked him if he was gonna commit suicide and he responded with "Nah. Then I wouldn't be able to see the new Batman movie". Which in 1997 was of course...Batman & Robin. Eesh. Maybe he should've just killed himself....
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:48 PM 08-16-2021
Originally Posted by lcarus:
With Elijah Wood? I've heard of that movie.

Also, as I was listening to that Stern clip, it's hilarious that Howard asked him if he was gonna commit suicide and he responded with "Nah. Then I wouldn't be able to see the new Batman movie". Which in 1997 was of course...Batman & Robin. Eesh. Maybe he should've just killed himself....
Yeah for sure! hahaha - Stern is so good at questioning people. His smarts are often missed and he never gets much credit for his actual intelligence, it gets lost in the comedy I think.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:48 PM 08-16-2021
Yes w/ Elijah Wood.
[Reply]
lcarus 10:54 PM 08-16-2021
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Yeah for sure! hahaha - Stern is so good at questioning people. His smarts are often missed and he never gets much credit for his actual intelligence, it gets lost in the comedy I think.
Yeah it's a real shame what happened to his show in recent years. It's just not the same.
[Reply]
Simply Red 11:06 PM 08-16-2021
Looks like The Killing Season is available for free on A&E' website. thks man.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:07 AM 08-17-2021
Stern is so quick on his feet to ask the specific questions that may conceivably distinguish this dude. Stern is actually very smart. I'm not sure if this is real but I'm not sure it's fake, I'd imagine it's someone messing around. You never know. The Reddit article makes it somewhat interesting.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up