Page 6 of 16
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Media Center>Windows 11
eDave 06:48 PM 06-15-2021
Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more

[Reply]
htismaqe 10:51 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
And probably avoid wearing a wool jacket. But yeah, beyond that, I've never used a strap in my life and haven't ever had a problem.
Like I said, I've worn them in the data center because of things like carpet squares and modules that are so large they require both hands.

On a homebuilt PC, I've never worn a strap and never had an issue.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:54 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
There is a notch slighly offset on the slot and the memory stick. That's there so you can't put it in wrong.
I've seen laptop ram in a desktop DIM...... There is 100% chance someone can seat it wrong if they try hard enough.
[Reply]
eDave 11:01 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I have to do this one handed?!?!?!
There are no screws. They just snap in and will lock into place with simple thumb pressure. Give it a practice with what you have now.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:01 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I've seen laptop ram in a desktop DIM...... There is 100% chance someone can seat it wrong if they try hard enough.
LOL. :-)

God, they aren't even the same length. How in fuck did they get it to stay in?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:04 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
There are no screws. They just snap in and will lock into place with simple thumb pressure. Give it a practice with what you have now.
Yep. The biggest thing is making sure the clips actually snap into place. Usually it means snapping in the RAM, making sure it's seated, and then pressing the clips again to make sure they click.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:08 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
LOL. :-)

God, they aren't even the same length. How in fuck did they get it to stay in?
I have no fucking clue, but it was wedged in there and they said it didnt work for some reason...........

I've also had a CEO of a large company send me a single ram stick VIA envelope and asked to see if we could find files on it.

I have contracted with both SMB/ Large Corporations / and Government, and I'm never shocked by how fucking horrible their IT is. I mean I've literally seen entire city government networks being a fucking disaster.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:16 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I have no fucking clue, but it was wedged in there and they said it didnt work for some reason...........

I've also had a CEO of a large company send me a single ram stick VIA envelope and asked to see if we could find files on it.

I have contracted with both SMB/ Large Corporations / and Government, and I'm never shocked by how fucking horrible their IT is. I mean I've literally seen entire city government networks being a fucking disaster.
Dude, I work with the federal government. They make a lot of municipalities look cutting edge.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:30 AM 06-17-2021
There's a difference between saying wrist straps are superfluous and saying concern over static potential is stupid.

If you have a strap, might as well use it. But if you don't want to track one down or purchase, as many have alluded without stating outright, . . . just be careful to account for static potential. Don't repair on carpet [and don't go shuffling all over carpet, then return right to the repair]. Don't wear a wooly pullover. Make lots of contact with the frame of the unit while operating. You can even fashion a 'strap' out of bare wire wrapped around your wrist and attached to the frame if you don't want to worry about. Best and easiest is to find a low static, low humidity environment, . . . AC and a hardwood table and floor is fine, wear simple clothes likes shorts and tee, and make plenty of 'grounding' contact with the frame before taking contact with semiconductor and IC parts.
[Reply]
007 11:32 AM 06-17-2021
This thread title needs changed.
[Reply]
eDave 11:33 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by 007:
This thread title needs changed.
We are getting Lewdog ready for his Win11 upgrade.
[Reply]
007 11:34 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
We are getting Lewdog ready for his Win11 upgrade.

:-)

PC repair 101
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:39 AM 06-17-2021
Windows Monterey.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 12:11 PM 06-17-2021
I will say this, the chip shortage is real. And finding machines with TPM is becoming impossible.
[Reply]
Otter 01:11 PM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
And probably avoid wearing a wool jacket. But yeah, beyond that, I've never used a strap in my life and haven't ever had a problem.
Don't listen to these guys! You want to wear a wool jacket, fuzzy slippers and perform this in a carpeted room.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 01:12 PM 06-17-2021
What will Win 11 add that Win 10 can't do? Technically speaking just a facelift to look purty and make microshaft some money?
[Reply]
Page 6 of 16
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up