ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 83 of 172
« First < 33737980818283 8485868793133 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
HemiEd 12:44 PM 08-15-2021
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
I watched both seasons of Black Summer, did any of you watch it? I enjoyed it - I guess it's no longer new but I've not been around in a bit and haven't read the whole thread.
I took your recommendation and started watching this but 10 minutes in I had to stop. I don't want to spoil, so just say when the husband did his thing, I was done. My wife likes those kind of shows though. :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:45 PM 08-15-2021
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
The White Lotus on HBO.
Been meaning to ask this, but everyone knows that's Uncle Rico, right?
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:15 AM 08-16-2021
so, i can honestly say the only television i watch is NFL, i don't get ads on anything to watch.

can someone honestly tell me there are any good shows left? i use imdb, but that's more so for upcoming movies (i will admit there are a few obscure ones i find potentially interesting), but fuck me...

it seems i can not find a dogdamnit decent thing to watch. doesn't matter the genre. it all looks like, and in most cases within the first episode, ends up being trash..

i need help, maybe i need to mow the yard again one level lower?
[Reply]
mr. tegu 07:44 AM 08-16-2021
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
so, i can honestly say the only television i watch is NFL, i don't get ads on anything to watch.

can someone honestly tell me there are any good shows left? i use imdb, but that's more so for upcoming movies (i will admit there are a few obscure ones i find potentially interesting), but fuck me...

it seems i can not find a dogdamnit decent thing to watch. doesn't matter the genre. it all looks like, and in most cases within the first episode, ends up being trash..

I’m mostly the same way. I basically watch History, Science, Discovery, Food or similar.
[Reply]
Shoes 10:02 AM 08-16-2021
Might be late to this one but binged Mare of Easttown on HBO this weekend, great show.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:12 AM 08-16-2021

can someone honestly tell me there are any good shows left? i use imdb, but that's more so for upcoming movies (i will admit there are a few obscure ones i find potentially interesting), but **** me...

I dont even know where to begin? Have you seen the following:

Breaking Bad
The Wire
Succession
Justified
Rectify
Mad Men
The Boys
Curb your Enthusiasm
Always Sunny in Philadelphia
The Americans
Catastrophe
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:35 AM 08-16-2021

can someone honestly tell me there are any good shows left? i use imdb, but that's more so for upcoming movies (i will admit there are a few obscure ones i find potentially interesting), but **** me...

I'm in the same boat. I think in the last 15 years I've only enjoyed one new show and that was Breaking Bad.
[Reply]
sully1983 11:04 AM 08-16-2021

If you have Netflix, definitely watch Mindhunter. Set in the late 1970s, two FBI agents are tasked with interviewing serial killers to solve open cases.

David Fincher directed a bunch of the episodes too (director of Seven & Zodiac). Its utterly fascinating and very detailed look at studying serial killers. Just letting you know though its very dark and not for the squeamish.

And then there is my other favorite Netflix show called Ozark . A financial advisor drags his family from Chicago to the Missouri Ozarks, where he must launder money to appease a drug boss. Jason Bateman , Laura Linney and the rest of the cast are so good in this. Highly recommend it. (Season 4 should hopefully premiere later this year but who knows cause of this damn pandemic put filming on hold)
[Reply]
sully1983 11:06 AM 08-16-2021
The White Lotus was fantastic from start to finish. Bravo to the show creator/writer & director Mike White for making such a darkly funny / effed up show!
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:11 AM 08-16-2021
The Ozarks definitely looks interesting, but i'll probably wait until the series wraps up before checking it out. Too many serialized shows fail to stick the landing.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:57 PM 08-16-2021
Originally Posted by sully1983:
If you have Netflix, definitely watch Mindhunter. Set in the late 1970s, two FBI agents are tasked with interviewing serial killers to solve open cases.

David Fincher directed a bunch of the episodes too (director of Seven & Zodiac). Its utterly fascinating and very detailed look at studying serial killers. Just letting you know though its very dark and not for the squeamish.

And then there is my other favorite Netflix show called Ozark . A financial advisor drags his family from Chicago to the Missouri Ozarks, where he must launder money to appease a drug boss. Jason Bateman , Laura Linney and the rest of the cast are so good in this. Highly recommend it. (Season 4 should hopefully premiere later this year but who knows cause of this damn pandemic put filming on hold)
seen both, and several of the above post shows as well. :-)
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:19 PM 08-16-2021
seen both, and several of the above post shows as well. :-)

So what are some shows that you do like? That might help people recommend some stuff.
[Reply]
Nickhead 04:23 PM 08-16-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
So what are some shows that you do like? That might help people recommend some stuff.
i understand my question was quite vague, but was deliberate. i am more perplexed at the fact all new shows just seem to be shit.

i just feel like every note on the guitar has been played to the point that anything going forward is just ripping off others of the past.
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:34 PM 08-16-2021
Ecclesiastes 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Maybe you should try some old series that may have passed over?
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:39 PM 08-16-2021
I watched Hit and Run on Netflix.

Expected to totally hate it.

It does a lot of things really well. Particularly in the beginning. They make a lot of shooting a scene from the viewpoint of someone spying then revealing the spy, but they also shoot a lot of scenes that way only to reveal there's no spy. Pretty clever bit of filmmaking to keep you engaged and thinking.

Writing was really well done to the point that it kept you guessing until they revealed it all, then kind of shifted gears to a survival gig.

I was invested in the characters and the story. Even though I knew it was going to happen,

Spoiler!

Another thing that it did pretty right was not get too big for itself.
- They made a big deal of how much of a bad ass Segev was, but he was no super hero. He took damage, got his ass beat when he was outnumbered, got tired when he ran, and was generally realistic in terms of capabilities.
-Showed difficulty with logistics, information, communication when shit got real.
- Didn't let the story get too big. Kept it all pretty isolated. They knew he couldn't withstand the full weight of either agency so they wrote it accordingly.

There were a couple minor leaps that are a tiny bit hard to believe, but in the grand scheme its one of the more believable flicks out there.

There was also a surprising amount of quippy humor that helped keep it from being too depressing.
[Reply]
Page 83 of 172
« First < 33737980818283 8485868793133 > Last »
Up