ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 80 of 171
« First < 30707677787980 8182838490130 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:17 PM 06-29-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm only 3 episodes in, but HBO's Succession has been enjoyable. So far it seems well cast, written, and directed. It's about an dysfunctional, uber wealthy family who's patriarch is stepping away from the family business. It's not necessarily a binge watch for me as I find it better in 1 episode every couple day doses, which is kind of refreshing.
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I've tried, and I can't put my finger on a specific complaint, but after each episode I've realized that I had no idea what had happened.

Not because it was confusing or tricky, but because my mind wandered to other things.

Some shows are just plain missing some ineffable thing that draws your attention. I want to like it, and I've semi-stuck with it thus far [partially because it's summer Sunday night], but it needs a hook soon.
So, what with the [relative] graveyard of content at the moment, and a few updates on subsequent seasons, I've been giving the show the ol' College try again.

It makes a difference to pay attention. This is still a show that will be ponderous to you if you only half-watch it, but if you really get into it, it is superbly choreographed.

The best part on a rewatch, the conventional wisdom is these are all amoral assholes. But it's also interesting to see both the impulse and the peril underneath it for people to try to be decent.

Being a cutthroat asshole has its rewards and pitfalls, but there are a number of small moments where people seem to try to connect or 'be real' that are every bit as dangerous and destructive as any bad behavior.

It's a bit like Shakespeare, both in its intrigue and complexity and in the tightly choreographed narrative, as well as that initial repulsion or distance you experience as a viewer trying to keep track of it all. And it also has that fateful pre-ordained sense of the narrative, even as all the characters strive mightily against it.

But if you commit, it's a good deal more rewarding than other, more brainless, fare.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:30 PM 06-29-2021
Big Succession Fan. It nails a lot of shit. But you're right, it takes some focus.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:45 AM 06-30-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Big Succession Fan. It nails a lot of shit. But you're right, it takes some focus.
LOLs from first half of first season.

'Ahh, . . old bread.'

'I'm pretty sure that's boa constrictors. . . '

'I can promise you that I am spiritually and emotionally and ethically and morally behind whoever wins.'

'calm your Kegeling weiner'

EDIT - found this 'words are nothing, . . . just complicated airflow' is not one of the funniest, but one of the most trenchant lines of the show. Which in part makes the sting and precision of Logan's word so character-defining.

[Reply]
Buehler445 06:00 AM 06-30-2021
LOLs from first half of first season.

'Ahh, . . old bread.'

'I'm pretty sure that's boa constrictors. . . '

'calm your Kegeling weiner'
:-)

I will never be clever enough to say calm your kageling wiener to anyone ever.

My all time favorite line (I think it’s season 1) is “Buckle up Fucklehead”. I laughed about that for a month.
[Reply]
notorious 09:23 PM 06-30-2021
Mare of Easttown was excellent.

Depressing as fuck, so don't watch it expecting to have your spirits uplifted.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:26 AM 07-01-2021
I love that you are all talking about Succession. If they keep up this pace, it's going down as an all timer. The writing is brilliant. Also this tweet is essential viewing. I can't wait for season 3.

Succession but everyone wants some of Logan's M&Ms pic.twitter.com/pTxIyXWen4

— 𝔅𝔢𝔫 ℭ𝔞𝔥𝔫 (@Buncahn) October 13, 2019

[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:52 AM 07-07-2021

[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:05 AM 07-07-2021
King Greg is taking over in season 3.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:49 PM 07-07-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I love that you are all talking about Succession. If they keep up this pace, it's going down as an all timer. The writing is brilliant. Also this tweet is essential viewing. I can't wait for season 3.

Just for you, good buddy!!

[Reply]
BigBeauford 04:05 PM 07-07-2021
Just for you, good buddy!!

Brian Cox has made that statement into an art form.

On another topic, Ted Lasso is great yall. It's a much watch if you enjoy wholesome comedies.
[Reply]
sully1983 05:59 AM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
Mare of Easttown was excellent.

Depressing as ****, so don't watch it expecting to have your spirits uplifted.
Totally agree regarding thinking it was excellent. Kate Winslet was flat out awesome in it (as were the other cast members). Loved the setting of it and honestly it might be my favorite mini series ever.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:10 AM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Totally agree regarding thinking it was excellent. Kate Winslet was flat out awesome in it (as were the other cast members).
Agreed. Very well acted and executed. :-)
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:30 AM 07-08-2021
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Totally agree regarding thinking it was excellent. Kate Winslet was flat out awesome in it (as were the other cast members). Loved the setting of it and honestly it might be my favorite mini series ever.
Have you seen "The Night of"?
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:06 AM 07-11-2021
If you want something that is bucolic and amiable, while also being interesting;

Obviously, it has the Clarkson 'stamp.' He mucks about and fuddy-duddies. Some of it is played up for camera and some of it is hand-waved for time and editing, but it's a great little primer look into the complexities of operating a modern farm.

And much of it a GORGEOUS. He has some beautiful pastures and the cinematographers are good at catching little slices of beauty and wildlife and weather to intersperse the narrative.

On Amazon Prime.
I watched an episode. I may throw it on in the winter when I have office work to do. I’m definitely not the target market for this.

Fucking pretentious brits and their fucking tram lines. :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:29 AM 07-11-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I watched an episode. I may throw it on in the winter when I have office work to do. I’m definitely not the target market for this.

Fucking pretentious brits and their fucking tram lines. :-)
It's turned out really popular. Thought I saw it was the most-watched property in Amazon Prime 'history,' though I haven't confirmed.

I think whether it's 'target market' depends on what you're looking for. It's certainly not a serious treatise on farming, but it's a pitch-perfect use of Clarkson's talent. And for such a cantankerous guy, it's quite wholesome and comforting.
[Reply]
Page 80 of 171
« First < 30707677787980 8182838490130 > Last »
Up