ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 14
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Media Center>Windows 11
penguinz 09:13 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The only time I've ever worn a wrist strap is when I'm in a data center.
This. Only other times I ever worried about grounding was when replacing CRTs in the original iMacs. Those things will shock the hell out of you and make you piss yourself.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:18 AM 06-17-2021
So how do you ground yourself when working on computers?
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:20 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Just touch the metal frame of the computer before you go messing around inside. That'll remove any static electricity.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:47 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Just touch the metal frame of the computer before you go messing around inside. That'll remove any static electricity.
And probably avoid wearing a wool jacket. But yeah, beyond that, I've never used a strap in my life and haven't ever had a problem.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:51 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
And probably avoid wearing a wool jacket. But yeah, beyond that, I've never used a strap in my life and haven't ever had a problem.
Like I said, I've worn them in the data center because of things like carpet squares and modules that are so large they require both hands.

On a homebuilt PC, I've never worn a strap and never had an issue.
[Reply]
Otter 01:11 PM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Don't listen to these guys! You want to wear a wool jacket, fuzzy slippers and perform this in a carpeted room.
[Reply]
Otter 01:05 PM 06-20-2021
I'm due for a clean install on a rainy weekend.

Here’s why Windows 11 will probably be a free upgrade from Windows 10

You probably heard by now, but Windows 11 is coming. It was originally supposed to be revealed during Microsoft’s June 24 “what’s next for Windows” event, but the secret was leaked early. You can now install an unofficial preview version of it if you want, though we would not recommend doing so.

That means there are all kinds of questions about the cost of Windows 11, and how you can end up getting it once things become official. We’re here to help, with a look at why we think Windows 11 will probably be a free upgrade.

The answer to that question is in the numbers. Microsoft last reported that Windows 10 runs on 1.3 billion devices around the world. That’s a lot of PCs, and if Microsoft were to open up an option for Windows 10 users to “upgrade” to Windows 11 for free, then there are chances of more people using it.

There’s plenty of reason why they might want to do this too. Remember when Windows 10 was a free upgrade for Windows 8 and Windows 7? Microsoft wanted to push people to a newer operating system, at no extra cost. Yet, they also wanted to slowly phase out older versions of Windows, but keep it in place for those who need it.

We’re already seeing pieces of that put into play. An updated support page mentioned that support for Windows 10 will end in 2025, right in line with Microsoft’s 10-year Windows support cycle.

But there’s more evidence to suggest that Windows 11 will in fact be free. Those brave enough to install the leaked Windows 11 build were able to use it on existing Windows 10 PCs, without the need for a product key. The leaked ISO file for the build lets you “upgrade” Windows 10 to Windows 11, just like you could from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

Now, this is an unofficial release, so that could just be a coincidence. However, some coding in the configuration files even suggests Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users will be able to upgrade at no cost.

The final piece of the puzzle has to do with “Windows as a service.” As you know, Microsoft offers twice a year updates to Windows 10. Recently, Microsoft started playing with “featured experience packs” that bundle in features separate from the Windows operating system. If Microsoft really wanted to make Windows 11 free for Windows 10 users, then it could also come as an optional featured experience pack, too.

This is all speculation for now. We’ll have to wait and find out more on June 24 when Microsoft is set to officially reveal the next version of Windows
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:20 AM 06-17-2021
Just touch the case while you seat the RAM with your other hand.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:26 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Just touch the case while you seat the RAM with your other hand.
I have to do this one handed?!?!?!
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:34 AM 06-17-2021
I mean honestly just seat the ram right and dont be scared to push down, you will be scared at first.

But out of all the computers components RAM can take abuse (DONT ACTIVELY ABUSE IT)

Also depending on configuration of your unit (1x16gb stick or 2x8gb) if you only have two DIMs it will be easy. If you have 4 you need to make sure its in the right channel.

Dont worry tho your computer will tell you right away if you fucked up with either LED lights or Beeping.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:42 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
I mean honestly just seat the ram right and dont be scared to push down, you will be scared at first.

But out of all the computers components RAM can take abuse (DONT ACTIVELY ABUSE IT)

Also depending on configuration of your unit (1x16gb stick or 2x8gb) if you only have two DIMs it will be easy. If you have 4 you need to make sure its in the right channel.

Dont worry tho your computer will tell you right away if you fucked up with either LED lights or Beeping.
Yep.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:45 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:

There is a notch slighly offset on the slot and the memory stick. That's there so you can't put it in wrong.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:43 AM 06-17-2021
You don't have to. Just touch the frame with your hand before you start to discharge or make sure your forearm is touching the case as you use both hands to insert the RAM. It really isn't hard, you'll be fine.
[Reply]
eDave 11:01 AM 06-17-2021
There are no screws. They just snap in and will lock into place with simple thumb pressure. Give it a practice with what you have now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:04 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
There are no screws. They just snap in and will lock into place with simple thumb pressure. Give it a practice with what you have now.
Yep. The biggest thing is making sure the clips actually snap into place. Usually it means snapping in the RAM, making sure it's seated, and then pressing the clips again to make sure they click.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 14
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up