ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 16
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Post-Mortem: 2022 NFL Draft Class
Dante84 03:49 PM 08-08-2022
Figure we can drop nuggets about random dudes from this draft class as their early careers progress.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:23 PM 09-23-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Quite the opposite IMO. I feel like you're shitting on Moore.

Also, I'm saying what has he shown so far, because he really hasn't done much despite getting an opportunity day 1.

And I know it's Trubisky, but Diontae Johnson still looks like Diontae Johnson.
No one is shitting on Moore. Im saying i prefer Pickens' skillset over Moore.

Moore is a smaller, quicker in a phone booth type receiver with a smaller radius who's going to require Mahomes to drop dimes on him. He'll do his thing, get open underneath. Use his quickness and all that.

Great.

Totally different kind of dude and I prefer my WR's to be more in the mold of a George Pickens.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:24 PM 09-23-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
No one is shitting on Moore. Im saying i prefer Pickens' skillset over Moore.

Moore is a smaller, quicker in a phone booth type receiver with a smaller radius who's going to require Mahomes to drop dimes on him. He'll do his thing, get open underneath. Use his quickness and all that.

Great.

Totally different kind of dude and I prefer my WR's to be more in the mold of a George Pickens.
Moore might have a smaller radius than a guy like Pickens, but he has huge hands and long arms for a guy his size.

You might not be shitting on him, but you're absolutely underestimating him.

Just like saying "get open underneath" as if that's all he can do. You don't need to have a ton of separation to win deep. You just need a step. With his quickness and 10 yard split, he can do that, and he's going to get open all over the field.

You'll see though.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:25 PM 09-23-2022

I was the one driving the Pickens bandwagon from day 1.
If you were driving the bandwagon, i took over the wheel.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:26 PM 09-23-2022
Moore might have a smaller radius than a guy like Pickens, but he has huge hands and long arms for a guy his size.

You might not be shutting on him, but you're absolutely underestimating him.

You'll see though.
I hope so.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:27 PM 09-23-2022

Just like saying "get open underneath" as if that's all he can do.
That may not be all he can do, but it's where he's going to live.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:27 PM 09-23-2022
If you were driving the bandwagon, i took over the wheel.
Lol fair enough.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:29 PM 09-23-2022
That may not be all he can do, but it's where he's going to live.
I think you're wrong about that.

Dude was winning deep too in the preseason. Even drew a couple PIs in the process. He's so quick off the line and his 10 yard split is a perfect example of how he can win early and get behind his defender. The defender usually makes up some ground, but by then, it's too late.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:32 PM 09-23-2022
I think you're wrong about that.

Dude was winning deep too in the preseason. Even drew a couple PIs in the process. He's so quick off the line and his 10 yard split is a perfect example of how he can win early and get behind his defender. The defender usually makes up some ground, but by then, it's too late.
Hopefully the Chiefs start feeding him some snaps.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:34 PM 09-23-2022
Hopefully the Chiefs start feeding him some snaps.
I think he plays a lot this week, because as DJ pointed out, it's starting to feel like it may be a necessity going forward.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:37 PM 09-23-2022
I know this thread is in regards to this years draft.

But you want to talk about a guy I wish the Chiefs would've drafted last year?

Amon-Ra St. Brown.

He would've been an excellent pick if we had our 3rd or an early 4th. What a stud.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:45 PM 09-23-2022
I know this thread is in regards to this years draft.

But you want to talk about a guy I wish the Chiefs would've drafted last year?

Amon-Ra St. Brown.

He would've been an excellent pick if we had our 3rd or an early 4th. What a stud.
Kid is a hell of a ballplayer, isn't he?

Focus on the skill-sets lads, some of those guys just absolutely explode when given the opportunity.

And there's a non-zero chance that Moore could be one of those guys. But so could Pickens. In either event, I think we're getting to nut cutting time if the WRs struggle again this week. He's GOTTA get on the field if we're seeing the same issues with MVS and JJSS.

And I'm not even ready to say those 2 can't contribute, but I would be really surprised if either of those guys are the man-beater we need. JJSS is a guy you look to excel in Zone coverage and get some physical yards after contact to move the sticks. MVS is a field stretcher who isn't showing me the kind of quick-start ability he needs to win a route without being schemed into space.

Those are fine complementary players but you still need someone who can challenge man coverage. Maybe it's Mecole, maybe it's Moore (I think Watson can do it in a pinch) but we're gonna need to find a solution there and I'd really prefer it be clear by the Buffalo game.
[Reply]
JPH83 03:11 PM 09-23-2022
What skill set has he shown thus far?

Again, I love Pickens, but I just haven't been overly impressed outside of that one catch. I posted a video of him failing to get much separation throughout the course of a game. He hasn't looked overly fast or quick out there. So far, he looks like a big contested catch guy, and that just isn't a great fit in this offense and in particular with Mahomes.

Now of course it's still very early. He, like Skyy, has a lot of room to grow. I'm not denying the upside he showed in college.

But I think you're severely underestimating Skyy's skill set.

Dude can literally do it all. I know many want to pretend he can't win with deeper routes, but he's shown that he can in the limited opportunities that he's had going back to the preseason. He's not going to get a ton of separation on those, but he gets enough, and that's really all he needs. We already know he can win on the short to intermediate stuff. He's also displayed some of that YAC ability that he showed in college. He's got huge hands and long arms.

Just wait, let things play out. I have no doubt you will be eating crow.
I think I was pretty early on the Moore hype train, but I also thought Pickens was the more complete WR. Honestly, not sure. Obviously it's early but Pickens always seemed to win late in the route and I don't know if he does that as easily or frequently at this level. If he keeps bullying people at the catch point he's an All-Pro. If not, Moore is going to be a more effective player imo. He gets early separation much more frequently from what I can see, and as you say is YAC is excellent.
[Reply]
JPH83 03:13 PM 09-23-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Kid is a hell of a ballplayer, isn't he?

Focus on the skill-sets lads, some of those guys just absolutely explode when given the opportunity.

And there's a non-zero chance that Moore could be one of those guys. But so could Pickens. In either event, I think we're getting to nut cutting time if the WRs struggle again this week. He's GOTTA get on the field if we're seeing the same issues with MVS and JJSS.

And I'm not even ready to say those 2 can't contribute, but I would be really surprised if either of those guys are the man-beater we need. JJSS is a guy you look to excel in Zone coverage and get some physical yards after contact to move the sticks. MVS is a field stretcher who isn't showing me the kind of quick-start ability he needs to win a route without being schemed into space.

Those are fine complementary players but you still need someone who can challenge man coverage. Maybe it's Mecole, maybe it's Moore (I think Watson can do it in a pinch) but we're gonna need to find a solution there and I'd really prefer it be clear by the Buffalo game.
All of this. Not a JJSS or MVS fan truth be told but I get the, potential, value. But we've really got to start seeing it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:55 PM 09-23-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I think I was pretty early on the Moore hype train, but I also thought Pickens was the more complete WR. Honestly, not sure. Obviously it's early but Pickens always seemed to win late in the route and I don't know if he does that as easily or frequently at this level. If he keeps bullying people at the catch point he's an All-Pro. If not, Moore is going to be a more effective player imo. He gets early separation much more frequently from what I can see, and as you say is YAC is excellent.
I think Pickens is a guy who got punished for the reputation of Georgia WRs of late.

Folks were putting the 'raw route runner' tag on him without watching him actually run routes. That kid is absolutely a good route runner. An excellent one as far as prospects go.

Off the field, it's hard to say. Worse guys have done a fine job keeping their noses clean in the right organizations.

But on the field, there's very little not to like about him as a prospect. He it's hard to find a guy with downfield speed and his kind of physicality who also show plus agility and good hands. That's a first round talent every year, IMO.

We missed an opportunity to get a real value play here, IMO. That's a kid who has first round ability to slipped into the 2nd due to the depth of the position. Meanwhile in Moore I see a guy who's available most years in the 2nd day and is more of a player with 3rd round ability who rose up into the 2nd because of the insanity of the FA market.

Maybe it all works out, but from a pure value calculus I think we made a mistake. Pickens just has tools that you don't typically find at 50 where we could've had him...
[Reply]
JPH83 04:04 PM 09-23-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think Pickens is a guy who got punished for the reputation of Georgia WRs of late.

Folks were putting the 'raw route runner' tag on him without watching him actually run routes. That kid is absolutely a good route runner. An excellent one as far as prospects go.

Off the field, it's hard to say. Worse guys have done a fine job keeping their noses clean in the right organizations.

But on the field, there's very little not to like about him as a prospect. He it's hard to find a guy with downfield speed and his kind of physicality who also show plus agility and good hands. That's a first round talent every year, IMO.

We missed an opportunity to get a real value play here, IMO. That's a kid who has first round ability to slipped into the 2nd due to the depth of the position. Meanwhile in Moore I see a guy who's available most years in the 2nd day and is more of a player with 3rd round ability who rose up into the 2nd because of the insanity of the FA market.

Maybe it all works out, but from a pure value calculus I think we made a mistake. Pickens just has tools that you don't typically find at 50 where we could've had him...
The attitude stuff I'm honestly less bothered about. I don't think he's a raw route runner, he's perfectly decent and late in his routes he's incredibly savvy. The kind of subtle moves he makes to get separation I think are very, very impressive. Add that to his physicality and hands and he's an exellent prospect.

But he's not THAT fast. He's not THAT polished. And whenever you're taking about physicality and contested catch ability I always think those traits better be something special to carry over. That could absolutely be the case. I certainly prefered Pickens so I'm not pretending I didn't rate him. But I mainly prefered him as a very different threat to what we had.

Honestly think Moore's releases alone make him better than a R3 WR. In any case, we'll find out soon enough.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 16
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up