ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Post-Mortem: 2022 NFL Draft Class
Dante84 03:49 PM 08-08-2022
Figure we can drop nuggets about random dudes from this draft class as their early careers progress.
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:32 PM 08-22-2022
Chris Simms slobin' on the Chiefs rooks. In case you haven't seen it yet.

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:01 PM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
Penning will be a damn good tackle

Hmm. Wonder who has been pimping him since his junior season at UNI?

:-)
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:03 PM 08-22-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
He tested incredibly poorly athletically.

I would have loved for KC to nab him instead of Kinnard.
I still can't figure out why Chief Fans seemed to LOVE Kinnard so much.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:49 AM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I still can't figure out why Chief Fans seemed to LOVE Kinnard so much.
Because he's big and mean and he DID dominate at the highest level of college football. I mean he was absolutely killing guys in the SEC - that's not nothing.

There's ability there, but he was obviously extremely raw. And ultimately it's possible his feet just keep him from playing outside. But with his length and aggression, and the Chiefs seemingly interested in finding big, strong, mean offensive linemen, it seemed like he had a shot.

But you never know how a guy transitions until the pads come on and it's clear his transition will be longer than most.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:10 PM 08-23-2022
Hmm. Wonder who has been pimping him since his junior season at UNI?

:-)
He's going to have to get a handle on his anger issues.

He's clearly good enough to start but he's going to start the season as a backup because he can't get through a full practice without issues...
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:54 PM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Because he's big and mean and he DID dominate at the highest level of college football. I mean he was absolutely killing guys in the SEC - that's not nothing.

There's ability there, but he was obviously extremely raw. And ultimately it's possible his feet just keep him from playing outside. But with his length and aggression, and the Chiefs seemingly interested in finding big, strong, mean offensive linemen, it seemed like he had a shot.

But you never know how a guy transitions until the pads come on and it's clear his transition will be longer than most.
He always looks to me like he has some trouble with balance/his base. Of course, so does OBJ. He looks unbalanced until he doesn't, which is right when he needs to be.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:03 PM 08-23-2022
He always looks to me like he has some trouble with balance/his base. Of course, so does OBJ. He looks unbalanced until he doesn't, which is right when he needs to be.
Yeah, OBJ is exactly the kind of guy you hope he develops into. But Brown was ready to play pretty much from day 1 so starting so much lower on the curve makes you wonder if he can ever get at/near the top of it.

Jason Peters is sort of the gold standard for this type of player, IMO. Just a massive dude who never demonstrated premier athleticism but rarely needed to. He got in guys heads early in games or even before they started. They tried to get away from their game because they knew of Peters got hands on them, the rep was essentially over.

And Peters was incredibly smart; knew how to use his size and strength to off-set guys with significant speed/athleticism advantages.

It's not an easy or even obvious road. He may never amount to a thing. But if you ask why Chiefs fans thought they might have something there - well the answer is pretty apparent when you watch his highlights. There's a mean streak and substantial strength there.

The technique just isn't.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:45 PM 08-23-2022
It's also partly because he WAS evaluated by a lot of people as a decent guard prospect and worthy of a higher pick as a result. Combine that with the tendency for a few voices to dominate with the "every pick is genius, God-level work, no other teams spot talent" and it snowballs.

The number of people laughing at any suggestion he could be a guard not a tackle in the NFL because he'd played tackle at college. I mean, sure, but look at the footwork, and listen to where evaluators were expecting him to play. It's not everything but it's not nothing. He was never a R2-3 tackle prospect.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:10 PM 08-23-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
It's also partly because he WAS evaluated by a lot of people as a decent guard prospect and worthy of a higher pick as a result. Combine that with the tendency for a few voices to dominate with the "every pick is genius, God-level work, no other teams spot talent" and it snowballs.

The number of people laughing at any suggestion he could be a guard not a tackle in the NFL because he'd played tackle at college. I mean, sure, but look at the footwork, and listen to where evaluators were expecting him to play. It's not everything but it's not nothing. He was never a R2-3 tackle prospect.
Agree with this. He was a great-looking guard prospect to me with an outside chance to be an RT.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:18 AM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Agree with this. He was a great-looking guard prospect to me with an outside chance to be an RT.
Still hopeful he makes it as, at the very least, a decent rotational IL guy. But that is a very different proposition to the "we've got a starting RT from a R5 pick" take.

As an aside I don't know why it annoys me but the feverish optimism in some quarters grinds my gears as much as the downers. Let's just take a breath. I liked a lot of this draft but there will be whiffs and mistakes just like every draft.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 07:12 PM 08-24-2022
Random non-Chiefs who stood out watching the first two preseason games.

Pickens and Pickett for Pittsburgh. Pickett looks like a 5 yr vet. Pickens looks like he's gonna be the star most of us expected, but maybe even sooner.

Mafe and Travis Jones are both more athletic than I expected, and I loved Jones and wanted us to pick him.

Khalil Shakir, Isaiah Likely, and Doubs all look impressive. I liked Doubs in the draft, didn't watch enough film on Shakir or Likely to have an opinion.

Drake Jackson looks big. And good. Kaiir Elam also looked good.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:29 AM 08-25-2022
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:

Pickens and Pickett for Pittsburgh. Pickett looks like a 5 yr vet. Pickens looks like he's gonna be the star most of us expected, but maybe even sooner.

Mafe and Travis Jones are both more athletic than I expected, and I loved Jones and wanted us to pick him.

Khalil Shakir, Isaiah Likely, and Doubs all look impressive. I liked Doubs in the draft, didn't watch enough film on Shakir or Likely to have an opinion.

I feel like the Jones non-pick is going to haunt me a bit. Was really hoping we'd grab him. Ah well. Shame Elam is looking good, was sort of hoping he'd flop to make the McDuffie trade up even more gratifying.

I wasn't mad on Mafe so maybe I got that one wrong. I liked Sakur and Doubs and usually doubled up on WR in mocks and took one.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:09 AM 08-25-2022
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:

My sleeper looking like he should have went far earlier.

https://youtu.be/2KuEve911nA
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:10 AM 08-25-2022
I heard Kyle Phillips has been unguard-able at camp on a FF podcast, deep sleeper, maybe he outperforms Burks this season?
[Reply]
RunKC 08:11 AM 08-25-2022
I was on the Travis Jones train for our pick we used on Bryan Cook. We’ll have to see but damn he looks good so far
[Reply]
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up