Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Simms breaks down Mahomes' bad play
ModSocks 11:08 AM 10-28-2021
Cliff Notes:

Mahomes is sensing phantom pressure
Mahomes is not stepping into the pocket
The Oline is acutally playing well, Mahomes is prematurely rolling out
Mahomes is hanging Orlando Brown out to try and creating angles impossible for him to block
Mahomes is predetermining his reads. Possibly overthinking things too much

My takeway: If last week's performance was all about Mahomes then the Chiefs are about to go on a winning streak, because Mahomes will get his mind right. Ya'll ready for some W's?

Video starts around 6:20ish mark

[Reply]
TribalElder 11:51 AM 10-28-2021

Well, when all else fails… ������ #comedy #ChiefsKingdom #Chiefs #KansasCity @PatrickMahomes #protection #cleanse #MondayNightFootball #andyreid #almostandyreid #NFL #FYP pic.twitter.com/AV8oJydBqI

— Almost Andy Reid (@AlmostAndyReid) October 27, 2021

[Reply]
xztop123 11:54 AM 10-28-2021
Red ryan said brown is too slow to block to mahomes. I think I’ll trust Rex ryan.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:56 AM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by xztop123:
Red ryan said brown is too slow to block to mahomes. I think I’ll trust Rex ryan.
Yeah. He's an expert on foot work.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:57 AM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by xztop123:
Did you watch the video? The video doesn't lie.
[Reply]
JakeF 11:57 AM 10-28-2021
They are asking Mahomes to adapt his playing style to fit our OT's, instead of having our tackles play the style of our QB. That's why Patrick has looked so disjointed.

A big risk, hope it works.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:57 AM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Yeah. He's an expert on foot work.
Ziiiiing
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 11:59 AM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Time to put these corrections into action, Mahomes has been saying this now going back to the offseason/training camp.
That's what concerns me when people act like this will be an easy fix.

Mahomes has know footwork and pocket presence are his weaknesses since essentially when he entered the league.

If it was an easy fix it would've been corrected a long time ago.

Not saying he can't or won't do it but these issues are deeply ingrained in his play style and isn't just something he'll dramatically improve on in a week.

IMO he just needs to have a couple good games to get his confidence back up and he'll be just fine. He seems a little gun shy and unsure of himself at the moment.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 12:00 PM 10-28-2021
Simms also mentioned inside-info on mahomes' toe not being right yet
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:03 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
They are asking Mahomes to adapt his playing style to fit our OT's, instead of having our tackles play the style of our QB. That's why Patrick has looked so disjointed.

A big risk, hope it works.
There isn't an OT in the league that's going to block a DE running full speed in a straight line, dude.

Watch the video. Simms explains how Mahomes drop back means that DE's don't even have to bend around the corner.

We all know how important "bend" is to a DE as we've seen masters such as Thomas and Hali do it for years.

Mahomes isn't even making the DE's bend.

Again, watch the video. All he has to do is step up and Brown washes that dude out of the play.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:06 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
That's what concerns me when people act like this will be an easy fix.

Mahomes has know footwork and pocket presence are his weaknesses since essentially when he entered the league.

If it was an easy fix it would've been corrected a long time ago.

Not saying he can't or won't do it but these issues are deeply ingrained in his play style and isn't just something he'll dramatically improve on in a week.

IMO he just needs to have a couple good games to get his confidence back up and he'll be just fine. He seems a little gun shy and unsure of himself at the moment.
He did it vs Washington. Dude was immaculate.

I think what happens is that he knows the defense is bad, he then feels the pressure to score, goes all superman mode and abandons the basics and offensive structure trying to force big plays.

That's my theory at least.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 12:07 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
All the money is on offense. This is an offensive driven team. The offense needs to score to give our defense an advantage.
25% of our cap is on D line. We are way out in front of the rest of the league on that percentage. Badger isn't being paid peanuts. Hitchens was making more than he should.

Let's not pretend we just haven't put money on defense.
We are paying out the ass and getting zero return.
[Reply]
wachashi 12:11 PM 10-28-2021
NFL coaches are so good at exploiting the tiniest weaknesses. Coaches have schemed their edge rushers to essentially take away the deep drop. That's been really effective so far. It's up to Reid and Mahomes to make them pay for that. There are plenty of ways to do that through play calls, but Mahomes needs to prove he's comfortable stepping up in the pocket as well.

I'm not too worried that they'll figure it out, but this is a new feeling in the Mahomes era. It was never a question before that Mahomes would keep us in pretty much any game against any opponent, no matter how garbage our defense was playing. This year is different.
[Reply]
lcarus 12:13 PM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
That's kind of terrifying.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:19 PM 10-28-2021
That first 2nd and 9 play is brutal. He’s not dumb. If that happens again he will make that work.

With the combination of his play improving and reducing turnovers we can win any game we play with just a marginally better defense.
[Reply]
LongSufferingToady 12:30 PM 10-28-2021
Wow, some of you wear rose-colored glasses.
"We're about to go on a tear"
"We're going on a winning streak."
"Watch us string together a bunch of W's."
"Superbowl here we come."

Knowing a problem and fixing a problem are two different things.
The defense sucks and Patrick can't fix that.

There is a very good chance we could lose to the Giants. A very good one.

Where's the desire, discipline, and competitiveness? I haven't seen it all season, except in brief flashes.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up