ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which one do you pick?
Texas, plus a $630,000 annual stipend 14 28.57%
Florida, plus a $250,000 annual stipend 33 67.35%
Gosh, I can't decide. 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mansionmania Tournament: Round 1, Heat 26
Rain Man 10:02 AM 10-27-2021
Mansionmania continues. I'm going to show you the most expensive homes in every state and a few territories, with a few extras thrown in from the largest states to get the tourney up to 64. It'll be a single-elimination tournament.

You will choose among each pair of houses with the following assumptions:

I encourage you to click on the maps in the listings to see the general location and neighborhood.

Also, I will only enter contestants if they have a sufficient number of photos to judge, as determined by me.

Your entries in this heat are:

(In this heat I tried to spread our Texas and Florida entries out a bit from Houston and Miami.)

Texas:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M84880-48775

Florida:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M59843-60801
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:15 AM 10-27-2021
I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the Naples home doesn't have a pool.

Meanwhile, that Texas home has a pool area that would be great for hosting. Looks like they've even got beers on tap lol

Still, have you ever been to that part of Florida? It's got the best beaches in America, IMO.
[Reply]
EPodolak 10:15 AM 10-27-2021
The Texas design looks incoherent, not a fan of the location or the build. The Florida place on the other hand checks important boxes for weather and ocean front, plus it's a nice house.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:15 AM 10-27-2021
Okay, let's talk mansions.

Texas - Would it be weird to tell people that I live on Hell's Gate Loop in Possum Kingdom Lake? Yeah. But I can get past that. On the downside, this place looks way more like a hotel than a house. On the upside, I don't understand the saloon but I like it, and the outdoor space is pretty much perfect for how I'd use it. This area is going to get pretty hot in the summer, but it has mild winters. You can't reach Dallas in your daily meanderings, but you can get to Fort Worth, so that'll work for general services. Plus, you get a nice fat stipend with this property.

Florida - It's a nice house and I like the style. I'm not sure about sitting on coolers in the middle of a railroad tunnel, but I presume it makes for a nice cool sitting area. Overall, I like the style a lot, and this place has more mild summers than the Texas place. I'm not sure about humidity, but both are probably not great in that regard. This property is a little more isolated than one would expect, because both Miami and Tampa are beyond the 100 mile range. You're going to Fort Myers for culture, a phrase that probably is rarely uttered.

This is a tough one. I kind of want to say Florida since I like the house and (maybe) the climate), but I really like the clubhouse and outdoor space in Texas. Usually the stipend doesn't sway me much since I can live well on $250,000, but in this case the larger stipend helps me make the decision.

I think I'll go with Texas and will learn to say "Possum Kingdom Lake" with a Texas drawl, but I could easily be swayed either way.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:16 AM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
The Texas design looks incoherent
These were my initial thoughts as well. It's like they wanted Spanish style on the exterior but also included brick/stone and the interior is like a mixture of elegant ballroom/rustic lodge. It just doesn't flow.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:17 AM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the Naples home doesn't have a pool.

Meanwhile, that Texas home has a pool area that would be great for hosting. Looks like they've even got beers on tap lol

Still, have you ever been to that part of Florida? It's got the best beaches in America, IMO.
Unless that's a koi pond or something, I think Naples has a pool in Pics 1 and 5.
[Reply]
EPodolak 10:18 AM 10-27-2021

Pic #1....I took that to be a pool. Maybe not.
[Reply]
bdj23 10:20 AM 10-27-2021
Texas house reminds me of an apartment complex from the outside
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:21 AM 10-27-2021
The Texas design looks incoherent, not a fan of the location or the build. The Florida place on the other hand checks important boxes for weather and ocean front, plus it's a nice house.
These were my initial thoughts as well. It's like they wanted Spanish style on the exterior but also included brick/stone and the interior is like a mixture of elegant ballroom/rustic lodge. It just doesn't flow.
I think the "living room" is way too much like a hotel lobby. But the rest of the house actually works for me.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:21 AM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Unless that's a koi pond or something, I think Naples has a pool in Pics 1 and 5.
Pic #1....I took that to be a pool. Maybe not.
:-) That's hilarious. That is indeed a pool! Literally the main attraction in pic #5. I glossed over it somehow.

Anyway, that settles it for me. I don't particularly like that pool, but with the stipend I could spruce it up a bit over the years. That means the only downfall of this home for me is the lack of a major metro area in the 100 mile radius.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:23 AM 10-27-2021
:-) That's hilarious. That is indeed a pool! Literally the main attraction in pic #5. I glossed over it somehow.

Anyway, that settles it for me. I don't particularly like that pool, but with the stipend I could spruce it up a bit over the years. That means the only downfall of this home for me is the lack of a major metro area in the 100 mile radius.
I've never been to that part of Florida. Does it have any charming beach communities within 100 miles?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:31 AM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I've never been to that part of Florida. Does it have any charming beach communities within 100 miles?
I've only ever been as a visitor so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but in my experience that's basically all there is on the southwest Florida coast.

If you're looking for anything more than slow, easy living in small beach towns or rural swampland.. this probably isn't a great location.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:35 AM 10-27-2021
Florida is the better place and probably better house, other than the saloon, which is awesome.

But it’s not good enough to overcome the stipend. TX for me.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:35 AM 10-27-2021
I really like that Texas house. Can't put my finger on why (yes, it's undeniably unconventional).

But the Florida house is right on the gulf, man. And while I don't typically favor purely tropical settings - I'm not sure inland central Texas in the summer is anything I'm excited about either.

I really do like both of these options quite a bit, but in the end I'm going to go with the Florida house because summers won't be as ghastly there. Seriously - Texas summers suuuuuuuuuck.

The real bummer is that you're about 10 miles short of being able to get to downtown Miami. That's a tough beat. What are the rules on water routes? If I want to go diving, can I charter a boat 100 miles in any direction over water?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:43 AM 10-27-2021
As an aside - will I KNOW I passed on the other place after I move to my new home?

For instance, living in central Texas in the summer will be a lot easier if I don’t also know that when it’s 110 degrees in August, I could have been in Naples where it’s 78 and breezy.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up