ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What's your defensive plan for 2022?
Chris Meck 02:53 PM 10-26-2021
I think we all expect that the trio of Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill will still be a potent group, and that the offense will work itself out to some degree.

There are pieces we need to fit in to be complete, but I think it's also obvious that the defense is the most pressing issue.

so what's your plan?

Can Spags? Who's your hire?

What players are you letting walk, re-sign, what positions are you drafting?

Who do you feel good about rolling with moving forward?
[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:12 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Just find a pass rush and you're going to be so much better....
Yep. Seems like that's been a problem for a long while now.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:13 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
why?

Ward is going to cost north of $10-12M.

Why is Nnadi worth re-signing?

What money are you going to get guys with?

I have been a Spags supporter, but it seems apparent he's lost his guys' attention. Why bring him back? Nothing he's doing works.

Clark's money gets you a couple guys if they're mid-priced. But only a couple.
His scheme worked fine when our big money guys were fully bought in and giving max effort... I would keep Spags and his aggressive tendencies

With the caveat that he is quicker to pull the plug on players who aren't producing, regardless of who they are or how long they've been here

As for personnel, everyone is on the chopping block, no sacred cows... with the possible exception of Jones, I'm still on the fence with him because we cant replace the whole damn defense, and he has the talent to turn things around
[Reply]
-King- 03:13 PM 10-26-2021
We gonna pay Jones north of $20m to occupy double teams? That seems like a waste of resources.

I'd trade him, but I doubt at his salary we'd find takers.

Bolton and Gay would be fine as ILB, but we've got no dominant nose, and no real 3-4 ends. Not to mention no OLB'ers.
You realize Jones played in a 3-4 before right? His best year, the year he had 15 sacks was in a 3-4.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:16 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
His scheme worked fine when our big money guys were fully bought in and giving max effort... I would keep Spags and his aggressive tendencies

With the caveat that he is quicker to pull the plug on players who aren't producing, regardless of who they are or how long they've been here

As for personnel, everyone is on the chopping block, no sacred cows... with the possible exception of Jones, I'm still on the fence with him because we cant replace the whole damn defense, and he has the talent to turn things around
I don't dislike Spags, other than he's kind of stubborn and slow to change. I'm generally for aggressiveness defensively.

Jones is not a leader, his effort level is wildly inconsistent, and if I could move him via trade, I would, but I doubt you'd find takers at his salary. Probably stuck there. I think he came up with late Chiefs-era Houston and his attitude rubbed off on Jones.

I don't have concrete answers, just interested in others' thoughts.
[Reply]
-King- 03:16 PM 10-26-2021

Sutton's scheme worked better when we had pieces and we still got rid of him when it broke down. We shouldn't let the Superbowl ring make us forget just how bad this year is and that historically, Spags tends to coach bad defenses with flashes of good here and there. Maybe 2019 was that flash.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:18 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
You realize Jones played in a 3-4 before right? His best year, the year he had 15 sacks was in a 3-4.
Well yeah. With Houston next to him.

I'm not wholly opposed.
[Reply]
JPH83 03:19 PM 10-26-2021
I know we need a pass rush, but our defensive backs are also bad and our LBs can't cover. We really need to target CBs as well as DEs.

Hitchens, Clark are gone. Probably wouldn't pay Matthieu and let him walk. Jones to DT obviously, draft CB maybe DE - definitely see what you can get at DE in FA as I think there's less chance they'll drop off like older CBs do. Keep Fenton and Thornhill, everyone else I'm pretty casual about.

Other than that, on coaches, scheme etc. you guys will know much better than I do. I'm at a loss.
[Reply]
-King- 03:27 PM 10-26-2021
Well yeah. With Houston next to him.

I'm not wholly opposed.
Getting a pass rushing DE/OLB should be our biggest priority this off season IMO. Its just impossible to even field an average defense if you can't rush the passer.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:29 PM 10-26-2021
Ward is going to cost north of $10-12M.

Why is Nnadi worth re-signing?
Solid starters. Market value. Wouldn't overpay though.
[Reply]
-King- 03:33 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Solid starters. Market value. Wouldn't overpay though.
In what world is Ward a solid starter?
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:44 PM 10-26-2021
I don't dislike Spags, other than he's kind of stubborn and slow to change. I'm generally for aggressiveness defensively.

Jones is not a leader, his effort level is wildly inconsistent, and if I could move him via trade, I would, but I doubt you'd find takers at his salary. Probably stuck there. I think he came up with late Chiefs-era Houston and his attitude rubbed off on Jones.

I don't have concrete answers, just interested in others' thoughts.
You're right, he really isn't a leader

Just seems like if we could surround him with better talent, AND leaders with a fresh voice, we could get the best out of him... because he is still dominant when he wants to be

That said, if mgmt decides to blow it all up I won't shed a tear for him so long as we get fair value

Originally Posted by -King-:
Sutton's scheme worked better when we had pieces and we still got rid of him when it broke down. We shouldn't let the Superbowl ring make us forget just how bad this year is and that historically, Spags tends to coach bad defenses with flashes of good here and there. Maybe 2019 was that flash.
Man I just can't compare Sutton to Spags, that read and react nonsense was usually a slow, agonizing death

Haven't researched it, but I bet if you go back and look at his bad defenses you'll find they're mostly due to a lack of talent and/or a roster filled with aging studs who were no longer living up to their contracts

Someone like Fangio would be a lateral move at BEST, IMO
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 03:44 PM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Grab Fangio when Denver cans him. Draft pass rush with first pick and see what FAs want to come play for Fangio.
As much as I like to make fun of Fangio, it wouldn't be a bad idea. But I'm not necessarily opposed to bringing Spags back.

Say goodbye to Clark, Reed, and Hitchens. Probably say goodbye to Ward and Mathieu. Pick up a vet pass rusher and draft one in the first. Spend the next two picks on a LB with speed and a DB. Find a couple value FAs. Veach is fairly adept at that.
[Reply]
-King- 03:52 PM 10-26-2021
You're right, he really isn't a leader

Just seems like if we could surround him with better talent, AND leaders with a fresh voice, we could get the best out of him... because he is still dominant when he wants to be

That said, if mgmt decides to blow it all up I won't shed a tear for him so long as we get fair value

Man I just can't compare Sutton to Spags, that read and react nonsense was usually a slow, agonizing death

Haven't researched it, but I bet if you go back and look at his bad defenses you'll find they're mostly due to a lack of talent and/or a roster filled with aging studs who were no longer living up to their contracts

Someone like Fangio would be a lateral move at BEST, IMO
Dude has more bottom 3 defenses than top 10 defenses. He has 3 top 10 defenses in yards. He has 6 defenses that were ranked 28th or worse. I don't buy the talent thing because neither Fangio nor Sutton have as bad coaching history. Its not like he runs out of talent faster than any other coach.
[Reply]
wachashi 03:55 PM 10-26-2021
Keep Spags. Keep his defensive philosophy. The defense needs new leadership on the player side. Ward and Nnadi might be able to re-sign. Jones could be traded, hopefully. All other players not on rookie deals will probably have to go.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 03:55 PM 10-26-2021
Play better defense
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up