ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which one do you pick?
Rhode Island, plus $250,000 annual stipend 7 14.89%
Washington, plus $274,000 annual stipend 39 82.98%
Gosh, I can't decide. 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mansionmania Tournament: Round 1, Heat 25
Rain Man 10:21 AM 10-26-2021
Mansionmania continues. I'm going to show you the most expensive homes in every state and a few territories, with a few extras thrown in from the largest states to get the tourney up to 64. It'll be a single-elimination tournament.

You will choose among each pair of houses with the following assumptions:

I encourage you to click on the maps in the listings to see the general location and neighborhood.

Also, I will only enter contestants if they have a sufficient number of photos to judge, as determined by me.

Your entries in this heat are:

Rhode Island:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M98127-03006

Washington:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M94535-05252
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:27 AM 10-26-2021
While the idea of owning a literal castle overlooking Martha's Vinyard is somewhat intriguing, the cost/headache associated with rehabbing and maintaining that place would be staggering.

43K square feet of a home that was disassembled, relocated and rebuilt (in some parts, twice)? Pass.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:33 AM 10-26-2021
Hmm, let's review.

Rhode Island - It's a castle! It's a freakin' castle, man! I've always wanted a castle, even it does seem like it would be a little cold inside. Plus, it's a Newport mansion that's the size of a suburban mall, and if you ever wanted to be in The Great Gatsby, this is the place to do it. I would sit on the large lawn and read my newspaper and curse William Randolph Hearst's pro-labor arguments and wonder about the long-term repercussions of the war reparations from Germany. And then I would play tennis with Daisy on one of the three tennis courts. I'm not an east coast guy, but I can get to Boston and Martha's Vinyard and Nantucket, so I could make this place work.

Washington - this seems like a nice place. You've got trees and water, and I think I could live in Washington pretty easily. We don't know the exact location, but it's in Seattle so there are big city amenities, and Olympic National Park is within range. I can't get a bead on the house, though. Parts of it look old-school traditional on the inside, which doesn't match the exterior style.

I like the Washington house and I could live there, but I cannot re-enact Great Gatsby parties there. I cannot pass up a mansion in Newport. Rhode Island it is.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:34 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
While the idea of owning a literal castle overlooking Martha's Vinyard is somewhat intriguing, the cost/headache associated with rehabbing and maintaining that place would be staggering.

43K square feet of a home that was disassembled, relocated and rebuilt (in some parts, twice)? Pass.
Yeah, that was an interesting history. It sounds like the house is the moved house that was added and built around an existing house. I wish the web site had the 3D tour set up for that place, because I'd love to walk through it.
[Reply]
Hoover 10:39 AM 10-26-2021
Washington hands down. Castle is cool, but would need millions to make it livable IMO
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:42 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, that was an interesting history. It sounds like the house is the moved house that was added and built around an existing house. I wish the web site had the 3D tour set up for that place, because I'd love to walk through it.
You'd spend a decade far too cash-poor for a Gatsby party.

My in-laws spent $100K renovating the inside and adding a nice deck and outdoor kitchen to their 2400 square foot house built in 1986.

You're talking 7 figures to get that place into any kind of modern shape. Then the interest on the inevitable HELOC you're gonna need to finance it is gonna be stout. Not to mention the inevitable decay that comes with a stone castle in that part of the country.

Shit man, you're gonna need $100k in rugs. That place will echo like a tomb. It has like 5 chairs in the whole place. The only way you can make that work is as a B&B and once it becomes a B&B, you're not gonna have people thinking you're fancy enough to throw a Gatsby party.

And in the end you'll be the only guy in Newport driving a 1993 Ford Festiva with mis-matched hub caps.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:55 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You'd spend a decade far too cash-poor for a Gatsby party.

My in-laws spent $100K renovating the inside and adding a nice deck and outdoor kitchen to their 2400 square foot house built in 1986.

You're talking 7 figures to get that place into any kind of modern shape. Then the interest on the inevitable HELOC you're gonna need to finance it is gonna be stout. Not to mention the inevitable decay that comes with a stone castle in that part of the country.

Shit man, you're gonna need $100k in rugs. That place will echo like a tomb. It has like 5 chairs in the whole place. The only way you can make that work is as a B&B and once it becomes a B&B, you're not gonna have people thinking you're fancy enough to throw a Gatsby party.

And in the end you'll be the only guy in Newport driving a 1993 Ford Festiva with mis-matched hub caps.

Per the rules, maintenance is covered, and I can get mid-grade furniture in every room. I'll spend most of my time in Photos 18 and 6, use the rest for jogging in the winter, and I'll hold my Gatsby parties on the lawn in the summer. I can use my stipend to deck out two or three rooms all fancy-like for when the guests need to use the restroom.

Can I live there, Mr. Gatsby?

"Why of course you can!" He looked around him wildly, as if the past were lurking here in the shadow of his house, just out of reach of his hand.

"I'm going to fix everything just the way it was before," I say, nodding determinedly. "She'll see."
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:55 AM 10-26-2021
The Washington mansion is my favorite one to date. Needs more pictures, but what I see, I love.
[Reply]
MagicHef 11:24 AM 10-26-2021
The Washington house is 3038 Laurelhurst Dr NE Seattle, WA if anyone wants to take a look at the map.
[Reply]
EPodolak 11:29 AM 10-26-2021
I'd take either of these above most others so far, love both these old homes. I'd like a bigger stipend in RI, it feels like a seminary which is OK, just needs a lot of investment to make it a home. Definitely going to need a wifi booster. Seattle it is.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 11:36 AM 10-26-2021
I've heard they have good coffee in Seattle.
[Reply]
MagicHef 11:37 AM 10-26-2021
The Seattle home is in a very swanky and exclusive part of town, but is conveniently located mere minutes from a large homeless encampment (as is all of the Seattle-Tacoma area).

Also, it is just outside of Union Bay, where Huskies fans gather in their boats during home games, if boating during college football games is your sort of thing.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 11:41 AM 10-26-2021
RI house makes me want to buy a shit load of swords and armor, then have big parties. To enter the party you must pick out another guest and battle to earn your way inside.

Wonder how many politicians I could convince to show up for the first few years? Cull the herd some
[Reply]
stumppy 11:44 AM 10-26-2021
Definitely take the one in Wa. The castle looks cool but damn, It'd be like living in a warehouse.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 11:48 AM 10-26-2021
the castle has 29 bedrooms in addition to 53 other room.
I don't know that many people that I would care to have stay overnight.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up