ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 12
« First < 56789 101112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction
ChiefsCountry 03:19 PM 10-25-2021
Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction, who's to blame and what's next
Bill Barnwell - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ion-blame-next

A wildly frustrating start to the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 season turned ugly on Sunday. The defending AFC champs were outscored 27-0 in the first half by the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel's team took its foot off the gas and didn't score in the second half, but the Chiefs could muster only a lone field goal in what was the worst offensive performance of the Patrick Mahomes era. If that wasn't bad enough, Mahomes was injured in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. The only good news from the defeat is that Mahomes passed the concussion protocol.

At 3-4, the Chiefs have as many losses through seven weeks as they've had through any full season since Mahomes took over as their starter in 2018. With losses to the Bills, Chargers, Ravens and Titans, they have lost tiebreakers to many of the teams they would expect to compete against in the postseason. They're a tiebreaker away from last place in the AFC West, a division they were overwhelmingly expected to win for the sixth consecutive season. If this were a video game, the Chiefs would frantically be pressing the reset button.

Let's take a closer look at the Chiefs, and I'll do my best to break down what is factual and fictional about this start to the season. I'll begin with one of the biggest reasons they were manhandled in Week 7:

Fact: The Chiefs are turning the ball over way too often
Spoiler!

Fiction: The offense is a problem
Spoiler!

Fact: Teams are playing two-high coverages against the Chiefs far more frequently
Spoiler!

Fact: The Chiefs haven't been as explosive as in years past
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs fixed their offensive line over the offseason
Spoiler!

Fact: The defense has been a major, major problem
Spoiler!

Fiction: The defense is not one player or one change away
Spoiler!

Fact: Years of questionable drafts have left the Chiefs without great depth
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs' Super Bowl hopes are out the window
Spoiler!

[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:54 AM 10-26-2021
Jesus Tapdancing Christ, there are some spoiled motherfuckers in here.

We went 50+ years without doing shit, then 3 straight AFCCG's and 2 straight SB's and y'all losing your minds at the first sign of adversity.

Maybe it's my age showing, but they did what I hoped for - which was to win a Championship in my lifetime. The rest is gravy. The days of living and dying with every W/L is over for me - I'm just going to enjoy watching the greatest QB we've ever had - even if there are some tough stretches along the way.

I'd advise the rest of y'all to do the same.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 10:59 AM 10-26-2021
Mahomes is a great QB that's having a rough year. I think he may be shell shocked by how much better teams have gotten at defending our offense. He will learn to adjust and get better every year. He has to get the hero ball out of him but in his defense that is how this team has won. He covered up our defensive issues by running around and saving the day but now that's not working so he will change. The defense is worse than ever so him trying to be a hero won't matter. Andy should help him and run the ball more and tell him to dump it off. Short gains are better than picks and better than him getting hit.
[Reply]
493rd 11:08 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Jesus Tapdancing Christ, there are some spoiled mother****ers in here.

We went 50+ years without doing shit, then 3 straight AFCCG's and 2 straight SB's and y'all losing your minds at the first sign of adversity.

Maybe it's my age showing, but they did what I hoped for - which was to win a Championship in my lifetime. The rest is gravy. The days of living and dying with every W/L is over for me - I'm just going to enjoy watching the greatest QB we've ever had - even if there are some tough stretches along the way.

Really well said and I agree. Most of us at one point not too long ago just wanted one SB. ONE. We’ve gotten jaded by the success of the Chiefs and need to be happy with we’ve seen since 2018. There’s plenty of time to regroup and get back to the SB. If this isn’t our year I’m okay with it. I love watching football and the AFC is stacked. Hell, if by chance we don’t make the playoffs this season, it’ll be a stress-free viewing experience.
[Reply]
stumppy 11:12 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Making a lot of sense here.
Was going to post that video yesterday. I think it's a pretty accurate description of what's happening.
Simms was saying a lot of the same things today.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:28 AM 10-26-2021
Making a lot of sense here.

Re-watch Mahomes' INT play in the Tennessee game... Darrel Williams was WIDE OPEN in the flat for what would have easily been a nice 8-10 yard gain on first down.

Instead Mahomes scrambles out of the pocket and tries to force a pass to a covered WR downfield.
[Reply]
wachashi 11:44 AM 10-26-2021
Mahomes can play patient and he knows how to take the stuff underneath. Just watch the AFC Championship game last year against Buffalo. We had a tremendous quick passing game against a solid Bills defense. Mahomes can do it. I just think he has a VERY tough time following through with that game plan when we're down two scores and our defense is showing no ability to get off the field.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:47 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by wachashi:
Mahomes can play patient and he knows how to take the stuff underneath. Just watch the AFC Championship game last year against Buffalo. We had a tremendous quick passing game against a solid Bills defense. Mahomes can do it. I just think he has a VERY tough time following through with that game plan when we're down two scores and our defense is showing no ability to get off the field.
We were down 7 and on the 2nd down before the 3rd down fumble that was recovered by us….he left the pocket when he didn’t need to.
[Reply]
wachashi 11:48 AM 10-26-2021
We were down 7 and on the 2nd down before the 3rd down fumble that was recovered by us….he left the pocket when he didn’t need to.
Yeah, he was pressing when he didn't need to for sure. But if the defense actually gets a stop in the first half, maybe the pressing could have been coached out of him.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:57 AM 10-26-2021
This plays says it all... Kelce is open in the middle of the field, a RB is open in the flat... just matriculate the ball downfield and set up a third and short or maybe Kelce or the RB break it for a bigger gain and a first down.

Instead Mahomes leaves the pocket, runs for a no gain and takes an unnecessary hit in the process.

[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 05:42 PM 10-26-2021
Apparently Mahomes' on-target percentage is the highest of his career (79.1).
[Reply]
ROYC75 06:15 AM 10-27-2021
Yep, sure is, I gotta SHIT and somebody used the last roll of T-paper. :-)
[Reply]
Molitoth 06:48 AM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Jesus Tapdancing Christ, there are some spoiled motherfuckers in here.

I've been trying to say the same to people.
I think people's expectations are a little out of control.

Back to back super bowls is hard to do... and really hard when you defense is almost non-existent.

Every game, regardless of the outcome... Mahomes has an amazing play(s) that bring me joy to watch. Because I know I could be watching Alex Smith, Matt Cassel, Tyler Thigpen, or some other shit QB.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:00 AM 10-27-2021
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
I've been trying to say the same to people.
I think people's expectations are a little out of control.

Back to back super bowls is hard to do... and really hard when you defense is almost non-existent.

Every game, regardless of the outcome... Mahomes has an amazing play(s) that bring me joy to watch. Because I know I could be watching Alex Smith, Matt Cassel, Tyler Thigpen, or some other shit QB.
STOP BRINIGING UP UP TYLER THIGPEN!!!!!!!
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:28 AM 10-27-2021

I dunno, this is an interesting listen, especially Jeff Allen, who should know what the hell he's talking about regarding the OLine...
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:50 AM 10-27-2021
The Chiefs subreddit has a good discussion about this with some good gifs and I learned something new. Apparently DE's are now just rushing straight and deep because Pat just does super deep drops and doesn't step up in the pocket, he then bails way to quickly and his feet are all a mess. He definitely has some trust issues going on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KansasCityC...ine_on_sunday/
[Reply]
Page 9 of 12
« First < 56789 101112 >
Up