ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction
ChiefsCountry 03:19 PM 10-25-2021
Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction, who's to blame and what's next
Bill Barnwell - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ion-blame-next

A wildly frustrating start to the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 season turned ugly on Sunday. The defending AFC champs were outscored 27-0 in the first half by the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel's team took its foot off the gas and didn't score in the second half, but the Chiefs could muster only a lone field goal in what was the worst offensive performance of the Patrick Mahomes era. If that wasn't bad enough, Mahomes was injured in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. The only good news from the defeat is that Mahomes passed the concussion protocol.

At 3-4, the Chiefs have as many losses through seven weeks as they've had through any full season since Mahomes took over as their starter in 2018. With losses to the Bills, Chargers, Ravens and Titans, they have lost tiebreakers to many of the teams they would expect to compete against in the postseason. They're a tiebreaker away from last place in the AFC West, a division they were overwhelmingly expected to win for the sixth consecutive season. If this were a video game, the Chiefs would frantically be pressing the reset button.

Let's take a closer look at the Chiefs, and I'll do my best to break down what is factual and fictional about this start to the season. I'll begin with one of the biggest reasons they were manhandled in Week 7:

Fact: The Chiefs are turning the ball over way too often
Spoiler!

Fiction: The offense is a problem
Spoiler!

Fact: Teams are playing two-high coverages against the Chiefs far more frequently
Spoiler!

Fact: The Chiefs haven't been as explosive as in years past
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs fixed their offensive line over the offseason
Spoiler!

Fact: The defense has been a major, major problem
Spoiler!

Fiction: The defense is not one player or one change away
Spoiler!

Fact: Years of questionable drafts have left the Chiefs without great depth
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs' Super Bowl hopes are out the window
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Coochie liquor 09:29 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
I agree... he got sandwiched in the Saints game, took a monster hit in that one. Was running for his life in the SB and has been running ever since. I'm not wanting to assign blame, just noticing that people who watch film and video a lot more than me are seeing things.

I also know that if there's one things reporters like to do more than build someone up, it's tear them down.
No doubt. Plus got knocked out of the Browns playoff game. Guys taken a beating, and I hate it. I’d love to see him with a constant good pocket like Brady has most of the time. Bad OL play will be the downfall of our bad ass quarterback.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:32 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by TEX:
Exactly. Fix the Offensive Tackles, and the magic returns.
The problem is how to do it. Draft? Are we drafting top 10? We need two d ends, a corner (seems to be a decent corner class) and probably a wideout.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:33 AM 10-26-2021
Making a lot of sense here.

This is great commentary from @danorlovsky7. Bang on.

The film doesn't lie. Mahomes needs to take the easy throws being given to them, and the coaching staff has to make adjustments around him https://t.co/uBmpKCv3St

— Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) October 26, 2021

[Reply]
Easy 6 09:48 AM 10-26-2021
He nailed it, no question
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:02 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

These guys in the national media have been waiting 3 years for this.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:05 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Theyve been wanting to say he cant do what makes him great for so damn long lol. I do agree hes got to get the check down more. But why not bail to attempt a throw on the run when youve been the best at it of all time?
[Reply]
siberian khatru 10:07 AM 10-26-2021
I predict Jeff Chadiha will cum multiple times when he's on The Border Patrol this week.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:09 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Theyve been wanting to say he cant do what makes him great for so damn long lol. I do agree hes got to get the check down more. But why not bail to attempt a throw on the run when youve been the best at it of all time?
Hilarious how 2-3 games of failure all of sudden mean the last 3 seasons of blistering HOF level success was really wrong all along.

The haters who've been forced to bite their tongue finally get their time to shine. Enjoy it while it lasts i guess.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:14 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:

If you bail to throw and at the same time pass up a wide open receiver, that probably means the guys you are looking to throw to after bailing are pretty well covered.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:17 AM 10-26-2021

This is great commentary from @danorlovsky7. Bang on.The film doesn't lie. Mahomes needs to take the easy throws being given to them, and the coaching staff has to make adjustments around him https://t.co/uBmpKCv3St— Matt Verderame (@MattVerderame) October 26, 2021

I feel like a broken record but I’ve been talking about this stuff almost all season. It just really piled up multiple times in this game. I don’t know how you can just blame the offensive line on those plays. Maybe they prevented huge plays ona few but certainly was room for positives each time. The outlet guys made themselves available for easy catches and gains. Brady probably gets 50 yards at least out of those plays. I know those would then make the Barry McCockiner highlights but oh well.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 10:21 AM 10-26-2021
Even if this season doesn't turn around, the good news is that they won't be stuck with all of these underachievers on D next year. They can ditch Clark, Hitchens, Reed and Mathieu with a minimal cap hit. I'm not sure how much space they'll have to work with given that Mahomes' cap number balloons, but even cheap FAs/rookies are likely to outperform Clark, Hitchens and Reed.
[Reply]
notorious 10:24 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
Even if this season doesn't turn around, the good news is that they won't be stuck with all of these underachievers on D next year. They can ditch Clark, Hitchens, Reed and Mathieu with a minimal cap hit. I'm not sure how much space they'll have to work with given that Mahomes' cap number balloons, but even cheap FAs/rookies are likely to outperform Clark, Hitchens and Reed.
You can still cut all those turds after a successful season.

But yes, I am excited to see new, HUNGRY blood on this team, and not just the defense.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:38 AM 10-26-2021
Hilarious how 2-3 games of failure all of sudden mean the last 3 seasons of blistering HOF level success was really wrong all along.

The haters who've been forced to bite their tongue finally get their time to shine. Enjoy it while it lasts i guess.
That’s not what they said in that video at all.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:45 AM 10-26-2021
This place is sooo fucking tiresome sometimes

Like you, I wouldn't trade Mahomes for ANYONE... but that doesn't mean his every decision is flawless, he's still very young and has plenty to improve on

And he is the first one to admit it
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:52 AM 10-26-2021
What he's saying is that 3 years of RPO (the Chiefs run RPO more than anyone in the league) has created habits in Mahomes that he now has to fix.

While Mahomes had 3 years of success, he and most in the media didn't have shit to say about this RPO offense and Mahomes drifting etc. being so problematic.

Mahomes is more or less doing the same shit he's always done, albeit with less success this year.

So you tell me, if he's complaining about it now, what was he thinking about it the last 3 years, knowing that nothing's changed other than the outcome of a few games? Dude is venting because he's had it bottled up inside, because everything Mahomes did wasn't suppose to be that easy in the eyes of these guys. They've been waiting for him to fail so they could tear him down.

They'll start sucking his dick again the moment the Chiefs get on a roll too. It's what they do.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Up