ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction
ChiefsCountry 03:19 PM 10-25-2021
Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction, who's to blame and what's next
Bill Barnwell - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ion-blame-next

A wildly frustrating start to the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 season turned ugly on Sunday. The defending AFC champs were outscored 27-0 in the first half by the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel's team took its foot off the gas and didn't score in the second half, but the Chiefs could muster only a lone field goal in what was the worst offensive performance of the Patrick Mahomes era. If that wasn't bad enough, Mahomes was injured in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. The only good news from the defeat is that Mahomes passed the concussion protocol.

At 3-4, the Chiefs have as many losses through seven weeks as they've had through any full season since Mahomes took over as their starter in 2018. With losses to the Bills, Chargers, Ravens and Titans, they have lost tiebreakers to many of the teams they would expect to compete against in the postseason. They're a tiebreaker away from last place in the AFC West, a division they were overwhelmingly expected to win for the sixth consecutive season. If this were a video game, the Chiefs would frantically be pressing the reset button.

Let's take a closer look at the Chiefs, and I'll do my best to break down what is factual and fictional about this start to the season. I'll begin with one of the biggest reasons they were manhandled in Week 7:

Fact: The Chiefs are turning the ball over way too often
Spoiler!

Fiction: The offense is a problem
Spoiler!

Fact: Teams are playing two-high coverages against the Chiefs far more frequently
Spoiler!

Fact: The Chiefs haven't been as explosive as in years past
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs fixed their offensive line over the offseason
Spoiler!

Fact: The defense has been a major, major problem
Spoiler!

Fiction: The defense is not one player or one change away
Spoiler!

Fact: Years of questionable drafts have left the Chiefs without great depth
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs' Super Bowl hopes are out the window
Spoiler!

[Reply]
bevischief 01:39 AM 10-26-2021
Clark needs to put his foot down and get pissed
[Reply]
BlackOp 02:23 AM 10-26-2021
I've wondered about these guys getting $20 million a year guaranteed...on a team that has been to back-to-back SBs.

What mountain is left to climb...you have a ring and a paycheck whether you perform or not.

Why would you continue to risk your long-term health anymore...how long does pride in your craft last?
[Reply]
Rasputin 02:43 AM 10-26-2021
I for one don't think we've seen the best out of Patrick Mahomes for even what greatness we witnessed from him he is still learning his craft and a tough year like this is good for his maturity and go to the next level we haven't seen put of him that he has yet to learn. This may not be his best year but it could be his best year to learn from and when they catch on to what the defenses are doing they will start carving them up again but still he has a bunch of touchdown passes and probably have over 50 by end of season. Nothing wrong with Mahomes teams are just built better to slow his game down.
[Reply]
BlackOp 03:20 AM 10-26-2021
I think KC is entering their post Legion of Doom Seahawks model era...A fifty million QB and no wiggle room for draft mistakes...

Seattle had 1-2 stellar drafts that carried them for awhile....once Wilson got paid, they were good but not great. A threat to beat you on any given day...

They havent sniffed a SB since he got his cash....
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:38 AM 10-26-2021
Guys, it's damned hard to climb the mountain and get to the top.

It's even harder to just stay perched there; and nobody does it for too long without having a down season.

It's okay.

I'm really only a little bummed, to be honest. It was bound to happen. Would've been cool to get one more year on top. But maybe it's better this way; there won't be any temptation to like...extend Clark or something dumb like that.

The core pieces are still in place. This year's draft looks like it was an excellent one and even has a nice piece on the defense to build with. Last year's was pretty good too and still think Sneed and Gay are going to be good players moving forward.

Some of these guys got complacent. It's human nature, really.

Let's trim the fat this offseason, ditch these massive contracts to the underperformers and rebuild the defense. Personally, I really like the CB room and think the problems there are related to the total lack of pressure. Give any NFL QB all day and yeah, they're going to pick you apart. I've heard it said that Thornhill is 'just a jag' and I don't think that's accurate. I think he's a true FS and another part to work with.

It's time for a new DC. Get rid of Clark and Reed. Pick up a couple of mid priced, dependable DE's. Let HB walk, with that money you can pay a decent safety AND a dependable coverbacker.

We're not going anywhere with the loafing multi-millionaires on the defensive line this year.

It's alright. Take our lumps, clean house, and come back pissed off next year.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:30 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
I've wondered about these guys getting $20 million a year guaranteed...on a team that has been to back-to-back SBs.

What mountain is left to climb...you have a ring and a paycheck whether you perform or not.

Why would you continue to risk your long-term health anymore...how long does pride in your craft last?
Apparently not long for these fucks. To many fucking pro athletes are bitches. They should play hard every snap because that is what they are being paid big money to do. The Chiefs gave Jones, Clark, HB, Hitchens and ER their money. Money other teams were not going to give them. Mahomes got them a ring and this is what the Chiefs get now? Half ass pussy effort and for what? Because now they don't feel like it? Not motivated anymore? Fuck them! Spoiled mother fuckers! They got paid right? THEN DO YOUR FUCKING JOB!
[Reply]
TEX 05:45 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Guys, it's damned hard to climb the mountain and get to the top.

It's even harder to just stay perched there; and nobody does it for too long without having a down season.

It's okay.

I'm really only a little bummed, to be honest. It was bound to happen. Would've been cool to get one more year on top. But maybe it's better this way; there won't be any temptation to like...extend Clark or something dumb like that.

The core pieces are still in place. This year's draft looks like it was an excellent one and even has a nice piece on the defense to build with. Last year's was pretty good too and still think Sneed and Gay are going to be good players moving forward.

Some of these guys got complacent. It's human nature, really.

Let's trim the fat this offseason, ditch these massive contracts to the underperformers and rebuild the defense. Personally, I really like the CB room and think the problems there are related to the total lack of pressure. Give any NFL QB all day and yeah, they're going to pick you apart. I've heard it said that Thornhill is 'just a jag' and I don't think that's accurate. I think he's a true FS and another part to work with.

It's time for a new DC. Get rid of Clark and Reed. Pick up a couple of mid priced, dependable DE's. Let HB walk, with that money you can pay a decent safety AND a dependable coverbacker.

We're not going anywhere with the loafing multi-millionaires on the defensive line this year.

It's alright. Take our lumps, clean house, and come back pissed off next year.
I'm with you as rationalization sets in...Correct on all accounts. Deal is it needs to go down EXACTLY like you laid it out, because if it doesn't, then you have "masterminds" still around capable of doing stupid stuff with the same lack of checks and balances in play. Spags MUST be part of the defensive purge.

On offense, Orlando Brown is NOT the answer at LT in this offense. Must find a legit LT. CEH is NOT the answer at RB. Not saying he can't be serviceable in some capacity, but what he brings is limited and might be better served as a complimentary piece, rather than a main one. KC needs a RB who can contribute in the passing game and is a threat to take it to the house. Doesn't have to be Jamaal Charles or Kareem Hunt good, but someone as good as Damien Williams will do. Need a #2 WR, who may be already on the team in Gordon. Need to find out this season. The Offense is much easier to fix than the defense, but the defense only needs to be respectable, so that should be easy to accomplish sooner rather than later.

Problem is all the issues listed were concerns going into this season and most all the answers, on both sides of the ball, were wrong. That can't happen again.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 08:02 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by TEX:
I'm with you as rationalization sets in...Correct on all accounts. Deal is it needs to go down EXACTLY like you laid it out, because if it doesn't, then you have "masterminds" still around capable of doing stupid stuff with the same lack of checks and balances in play. Spags MUST be part of the defensive purge.

On offense, Orlando Brown is NOT the answer at LT in this offense. Must find a legit LT. CEH is NOT the answer at RB. Not saying he can't be serviceable in some capacity, but what he brings is limited and might be better served as a complimentary piece, rather than a main one. KC needs a RB who can contribute in the passing game and is a threat to take it to the house. Doesn't have to be Jamaal Charles or Kareem Hunt good, but someone as good as Damien Williams will do. Need a #2 WR, who may be already on the team in Gordon. Need to find out this season. The Offense is much easier to fix than the defense, but the defense only needs to be respectable, so that should be easy to accomplish sooner rather than later.

Problem is all the issues listed were concerns going into this season and most all the answers, on both sides of the ball, were wrong. That can't happen again.
I kind of wonder in terms of complacency and talent if "Run it back" hurt us more than we realize. Instead of upgrading that offseason we brought back the same team, who won the superbowl, but was clearly not that talented in many positions.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:01 AM 10-26-2021
Watching PFT Live today; Chris Simms makes some strong and concerning points about how Mahomes is bailing out of the pocket, dropping really deep and looking at the pass rush instead of downfield. Not sure if it's the toe injury or him wanting to recapture that magic he had however, it's not working right now and as much as I don't want to agree... He's actually human after all...
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 09:05 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I kind of wonder in terms of complacency and talent if "Run it back" hurt us more than we realize. Instead of upgrading that offseason we brought back the same team, who won the superbowl, but was clearly not that talented in many positions.
No way. I think we win that game if the OL wasn’t in shambles, and Britt didn’t almost kill 2 kids.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 09:09 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Watching PFT Live today; Chris Simms makes some strong and concerning points about how Mahomes is bailing out of the pocket, dropping really deep and looking at the pass rush instead of downfield. Not sure if it's the toe injury or him wanting to recapture that magic he had however, it's not working right now and as much as I don't want to agree... He's actually human after all...
Maybe it’s because he has about 1 second before someone is coming for him. He’s taken a lot of hits, and rarely gets the benefit of RTP, that Brady, Rodgers etc get.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:17 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Yeah I think defenses have gotten a lot better at defending him. He's got to adjust.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 09:21 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Maybe it’s because he has about 1 second before someone is coming for him. He’s taken a lot of hits, and rarely gets the benefit of RTP, that Brady, Rodgers etc get.
I agree... he got sandwiched in the Saints game, took a monster hit in that one. Was running for his life in the SB and has been running ever since. I'm not wanting to assign blame, just noticing that people who watch film and video a lot more than me are seeing things.

I also know that if there's one things reporters like to do more than build someone up, it's tear them down.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:25 AM 10-26-2021
No way. I think we win that game if the OL wasn’t in shambles, and Britt didn’t almost kill 2 kids.
I dont mean the superbowl i mean the effect on this year.
[Reply]
TEX 09:27 AM 10-26-2021
Exactly. Fix the Offensive Tackles, and the magic returns.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up