ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 12
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction
ChiefsCountry 03:19 PM 10-25-2021
Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction, who's to blame and what's next
Bill Barnwell - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ion-blame-next

A wildly frustrating start to the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 season turned ugly on Sunday. The defending AFC champs were outscored 27-0 in the first half by the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel's team took its foot off the gas and didn't score in the second half, but the Chiefs could muster only a lone field goal in what was the worst offensive performance of the Patrick Mahomes era. If that wasn't bad enough, Mahomes was injured in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. The only good news from the defeat is that Mahomes passed the concussion protocol.

At 3-4, the Chiefs have as many losses through seven weeks as they've had through any full season since Mahomes took over as their starter in 2018. With losses to the Bills, Chargers, Ravens and Titans, they have lost tiebreakers to many of the teams they would expect to compete against in the postseason. They're a tiebreaker away from last place in the AFC West, a division they were overwhelmingly expected to win for the sixth consecutive season. If this were a video game, the Chiefs would frantically be pressing the reset button.

Let's take a closer look at the Chiefs, and I'll do my best to break down what is factual and fictional about this start to the season. I'll begin with one of the biggest reasons they were manhandled in Week 7:

Fact: The Chiefs are turning the ball over way too often
Spoiler!

Fiction: The offense is a problem
Spoiler!

Fact: Teams are playing two-high coverages against the Chiefs far more frequently
Spoiler!

Fact: The Chiefs haven't been as explosive as in years past
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs fixed their offensive line over the offseason
Spoiler!

Fact: The defense has been a major, major problem
Spoiler!

Fiction: The defense is not one player or one change away
Spoiler!

Fact: Years of questionable drafts have left the Chiefs without great depth
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs' Super Bowl hopes are out the window
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BossChief 07:51 PM 10-25-2021
Have they addressed his injury yet? I know he was walking the sidelines, but the hit looked pretty bad. I’m sure they will have follow up testing for Pat that may lead to time missed.

Honestly, they need to protect Pat by designing plays to get the ball out of his hands much quicker if they are going to keep him in and blocked by Brown.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:51 PM 10-25-2021
The one interesting thing about being the 7 seed is we will have intimate knowledge of how to beat the top seeds in the conference (Ravens, Chargers/Raiders, Titans, Bills), and will go in with a gameplan to counter what they did in beating us in the regular season, which they will likely not anticipate.

That could work to our advantage.

For instance, Buffalo will absolutely not be getting two free touchdowns off Danny Soreass ever again.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:52 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
The one interesting thing about being the 7 seed is we will have intimate knowledge of how to beat the top seeds in the conference (Ravens, Chargers/Raiders, Titans, Bills), and will go in with a gameplan to counter what they did in beating us in the regular season, which they will likely not anticipate.

That could work to our advantage.
It's not happening this year guys.

Bus is parked in the barn.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 07:54 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
It's not happening this year guys.

Bus is parked in the barn.
I truly admire Clay's ability to look at things from a glass half full perspective.

He's a better fan than me.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:57 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
I truly admire Clay's ability to look at things from a glass half full perspective.

He's a better fan than me.
I will not count out an Andy Reid team before Week 12.

Andy and Patrick have not given me a reason to. Shit, Andy and fucking Alex didn't give me a reason to.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 08:26 PM 10-25-2021

Andy and Patrick have not given me a reason to. Shit, Andy and fucking Alex didn't give me a reason to.
After what Patrick and Andy did in 2019, I’m not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Still 10 games to play, and a lot can happen. Only really dominant team currently is AZ. Nobody in the AFC is winning convincingly every week. Lots of time for positioning, and streaks. AFC is still very up for grabs.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:27 PM 10-25-2021

This.

I'll buy this team's prospects all day from the chicken littles whining and crying over the last 48hrs.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 08:28 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
If you guys will remember back. 2019 our defense absolutely sucked games 1-8. After that it was the best in the NFL. Can that happen again. I dunno.
There really are more parallels to that year than you'd think. Early stretch of 4 losses in 6 games. Poor defense through week 10. Spags under major criticism. Playoff appearance in doubt.

Sure, they never had a low point quite like what we saw yesterday, but Tampa did last year. If you think yesterday was disgusting, imagine a 38-3 beating in week 9. And that happened to a completely loaded roster.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:58 PM 10-25-2021
They likely aren’t getting the bye week but for this team especially, there is virtually no difference between #2 and #7 seed. There isn’t a team we have to fear or avoid and playing on the road hasn’t been much of a problem for them.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 09:15 PM 10-25-2021
If Clark and Jones were getting pressure this would be a very different season. That and taking care of the football. Could/should easily be 5-2 even with the D being so shitty.
[Reply]
fan4ever 09:29 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
I remember mother****ers talking about 17-0.
The undefeated season is something Mahomes will never talk about again.
[Reply]
Molitoth 11:16 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by fan4ever:
The undefeated season is something Mahomes will never talk about again.
Yeah, but there is nothing wrong with having that as a goal.

Are players to never talk about winning a super bowl? Because they do it... a lot... and it doesn't happen for most of them.
[Reply]
LongSufferingToady 12:40 AM 10-26-2021
That was a great writeup, ChiefsCountry.

Really, there's nothing to add to your post. The Chiefs need luck and magic this season, because the talent, discipline, and desire is not there.

But one can dream, right?
[Reply]
LongSufferingToady 12:42 AM 10-26-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
2019 we were 6-4 at one point and won the SB
That will NOT be the case this year. We simply don't have the talent or the desire to win.
[Reply]
Rasputin 01:35 AM 10-26-2021
Fact the Kansas City Chiefs are my favorite sports team in the world. Also fact fuck the haters fact pluss extra fuck the Broncos and Raiders.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 12
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up