ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction
ChiefsCountry 03:19 PM 10-25-2021
Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction, who's to blame and what's next
Bill Barnwell - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ion-blame-next

A wildly frustrating start to the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 season turned ugly on Sunday. The defending AFC champs were outscored 27-0 in the first half by the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel's team took its foot off the gas and didn't score in the second half, but the Chiefs could muster only a lone field goal in what was the worst offensive performance of the Patrick Mahomes era. If that wasn't bad enough, Mahomes was injured in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. The only good news from the defeat is that Mahomes passed the concussion protocol.

At 3-4, the Chiefs have as many losses through seven weeks as they've had through any full season since Mahomes took over as their starter in 2018. With losses to the Bills, Chargers, Ravens and Titans, they have lost tiebreakers to many of the teams they would expect to compete against in the postseason. They're a tiebreaker away from last place in the AFC West, a division they were overwhelmingly expected to win for the sixth consecutive season. If this were a video game, the Chiefs would frantically be pressing the reset button.

Let's take a closer look at the Chiefs, and I'll do my best to break down what is factual and fictional about this start to the season. I'll begin with one of the biggest reasons they were manhandled in Week 7:

Fact: The Chiefs are turning the ball over way too often
Spoiler!

Fiction: The offense is a problem
Spoiler!

Fact: Teams are playing two-high coverages against the Chiefs far more frequently
Spoiler!

Fact: The Chiefs haven't been as explosive as in years past
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs fixed their offensive line over the offseason
Spoiler!

Fact: The defense has been a major, major problem
Spoiler!

Fiction: The defense is not one player or one change away
Spoiler!

Fact: Years of questionable drafts have left the Chiefs without great depth
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs' Super Bowl hopes are out the window
Spoiler!

[Reply]
comochiefsfan 05:38 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
When we lost to them in 17' I mentally checked out.

It was a full wind-up kick to the balls.
Yeah that was it for me too.

Either that or the jets game where we lost like 40-35 and Peters chucked his cleat into the stands.

Then we went on that little winning streak at the end of the year and I regained hope just enough to be suckered into buying tickets for the Wild Card game, where I got the swift kick in the balls I deserved for having faith.
[Reply]
notorious 05:41 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Yeah that was it for me too.

Either that or the jets game where we lost like 40-35 and Peters chucked his cleat into the stands.

Then we went on that little winning streak at the end of the year and I regained hope just enough to be suckered into buying tickets for the Wild Card game, where I got the swift kick in the balls I deserved for having faith.
That Titans game....

[Reply]
Why Not? 05:42 PM 10-25-2021
Veach will get (deservedly so) at least a couple more drafts, but this season has brought to light that this roster has zero depth and isn't that good anyway (save for the usual suspects). This season should serve as a wake up call. No more missing on high draft picks.

The OP article seems pretty accurate to me, including the last segment. If this team can get in the playoffs, anything is possible. But they've made it a tough row to hoe, no doubt.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:47 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Veach will get (deservedly so) at least a couple more drafts, but this season has brought to light that this roster has zero depth and isn't that good anyway (save for the usual suspects). This season should serve as a wake up call. No more missing on high draft picks.

The OP article seems pretty accurate to me, including the last segment. If this team can get in the playoffs, anything is possible. But they've made it a tough row to hoe, no doubt.
I think it's clear that the stars n scrubs plan isn't working.

I like how aggressive Veach has been; but there have been a lot of misses. I'm not running him out of town yet, that would be dumb.

But we're going to need to change the plan going forward. You can get two good DE's (not great, but solid) for what we're paying Clark. A good safety and a good LB for what HB wants to get paid. Reed isn't even as good as Nnadi that's a complete waste of money. We're going to need to do like Belichick used to; mid-priced vets and over the hill guys with a little left in the tank to build a deep defense without any glaring holes. Just be solid everywhere. Draft well, and just be steady on defense.
[Reply]
Dayze 05:54 PM 10-25-2021
Veatch and the talent evaluators are more of a concern of mine that Patrick.

how many players were drafted in spots that are typically reserved for starters and/or contributors to an offense/defense have we whiffed on. Or made us fans scratch their heads.

One thing I know, for me personally, I'm 'done' with trading away picks; particularly 1sts.
[Reply]
493rd 06:02 PM 10-25-2021
Sorry, but we’re not making the playoffs with this defense. Like Barnwell said - it does nothing well. Best case scenario is we start getting pressure up front which leads to some turnovers, and the offense gets back to its normal self. Through 7 games it doesn’t seem likely.
[Reply]
Molitoth 06:12 PM 10-25-2021
2 Things:

1) This article is spot on.
2) Like normal, Como is a retard.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 06:13 PM 10-25-2021
When we lost to them in 17' I mentally checked out.

It was a full wind-up kick to the balls.
Creature returns if we lose to these turds
[Reply]
mr. tegu 06:14 PM 10-25-2021
We are still making the playoffs. Who are the seven teams that will finish above?

The only one I’m certain at this point is the Bills due to their schedule.

So six others to consider.

Titans? Probably.
Bengals? Good chance.
Ravens, Chargers, Raiders? Not buying all three, maybe two, possibly one.
Then you’ve got Browns? No.
Colts, Steelers, Patriots? Colts are the only potential one there.

So by my guess I only see four at most that would say odds are better than not they finish better. And really that’s probably your division winners so then you just need a team or two with four or five wins already to fall off to feel really good even dropping a few more games.
[Reply]
Molitoth 06:15 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Dayze:
One thing I know, for me personally, I'm 'done' with trading away picks; particularly 1sts.
Most draft picks are a gamble because they haven't proven themselves at the NFL level. Sometimes trading that gamble away for a proven player can pay off.

Unfortunately it can also bring you players who are just looking for a payday, and don't have the passion to be great.

Veach has found those guys....
[Reply]
Brody Wa 06:16 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
:-):-):-):-):-):-)

Please tell me you don't believe this nonsense.
We have Sb with him. We didn’t win anything with Dorsey. Please tell me who discovered Mahomes if it wasn’t Veach.
[Reply]
notorious 06:17 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
Creature returns if we lose to these turds
Less than 1% of CP know what you’re talking about. :-)

Is Clay up for it?
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:18 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
2 Things:

1) This article is spot on.
2) Like normal, Como is a retard.
como is the John Dorsey dick sucker like Tigger and Mav sucked Alex Smith off.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:19 PM 10-25-2021
Less than 1% of CP know what you’re talking about. :-)

Is Clay up for it?

[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:21 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Valiant:
That is play calling. We have not adjusted to the two safety scheme. We did a few drives but since we are undisciplined we get penalties or a turnover to stall the drives.

This team on offense could march if we just threw short.

Patrick also needs to work on his touch for shorter throws. Too many are rockets or hit the ground when they can just be lobbed.
Also more halfback passes.
Correct - he needs to work the intermediate and short areas of the field; slants, crosses, flares, drags, screens, etc. Shorter drops, get the ball out quick and accurately. Reid is a Holmgren disciple, and was there when Brett Favre was a young wild buck. "No more rocket balls, please." they need to work the open areas of the field, take what the defense gives with that constant 2 deep shell. you'd think AR and EB would have realized that...
[Reply]
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up