ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 12
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction
ChiefsCountry 03:19 PM 10-25-2021
Time to panic about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs? Separating fact from fiction, who's to blame and what's next
Bill Barnwell - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...ion-blame-next

A wildly frustrating start to the Kansas City Chiefs' 2021 season turned ugly on Sunday. The defending AFC champs were outscored 27-0 in the first half by the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel's team took its foot off the gas and didn't score in the second half, but the Chiefs could muster only a lone field goal in what was the worst offensive performance of the Patrick Mahomes era. If that wasn't bad enough, Mahomes was injured in the fourth quarter and had to leave the game. The only good news from the defeat is that Mahomes passed the concussion protocol.

At 3-4, the Chiefs have as many losses through seven weeks as they've had through any full season since Mahomes took over as their starter in 2018. With losses to the Bills, Chargers, Ravens and Titans, they have lost tiebreakers to many of the teams they would expect to compete against in the postseason. They're a tiebreaker away from last place in the AFC West, a division they were overwhelmingly expected to win for the sixth consecutive season. If this were a video game, the Chiefs would frantically be pressing the reset button.

Let's take a closer look at the Chiefs, and I'll do my best to break down what is factual and fictional about this start to the season. I'll begin with one of the biggest reasons they were manhandled in Week 7:

Fact: The Chiefs are turning the ball over way too often
Spoiler!

Fiction: The offense is a problem
Spoiler!

Fact: Teams are playing two-high coverages against the Chiefs far more frequently
Spoiler!

Fact: The Chiefs haven't been as explosive as in years past
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs fixed their offensive line over the offseason
Spoiler!

Fact: The defense has been a major, major problem
Spoiler!

Fiction: The defense is not one player or one change away
Spoiler!

Fact: Years of questionable drafts have left the Chiefs without great depth
Spoiler!

Fiction: The Chiefs' Super Bowl hopes are out the window
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Valiant 03:59 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
“What is true, though, is that the Chiefs haven't turned many of their short plays into bigger gains. They used to be the kings of YAC, and they haven't been in 2021. From 2018 to '20, they averaged 6.2 yards after catch, which was the second-best mark in football. They're down to 5.3 YAC this season, which ranks 19th. Part of that relates to the passes they are throwing. The average Mahomes pass before 2021 expected to generate 5.4 YAC; this season, that's down to 4.7 YAC. Hill has been far more inconsistent with the ball in his hands; he has exceeded his expected YAC just 38.8% of the time, down from nearly 53% over the prior three seasons.

Those moments in which Mahomes seems to bend time before finding an open receiver have also fizzled out. From 2018 to '20, he averaged 7.9 yards per attempt and posted a 87.1 QBR when he held the ball for at least five seconds before throwing. On those same passes this season, he's 5 of 16 for 83 yards and two picks, good for just 5.2 yards per attempt and a QBR of 2.4.

And whether it has been Mahomes itching to make plays, the deep coverage looks, randomness or some combination of the three, the Chiefs haven't been anywhere near as effective when he does get time to throw. When he wasn't pressured over the first three years of his run, they averaged 8.9 yards per dropback, which was fourth-best in the league. This season, the seeming inevitability of a receiver getting open hasn't been an inevitability at all; they're down to 7.7 yards per dropback, which ranks 22nd in the league without pressure.”

These three paragraphs highlight to me that Mahomes is just not seeing the field well, scanning the receivers, or anticipating throws like we are used to seeing.
That is play calling. We have not adjusted to the two safety scheme. We did a few drives but since we are undisciplined we get penalties or a turnover to stall the drives.

This team on offense could march if we just threw short.

Patrick also needs to work on his touch for shorter throws. Too many are rockets or hit the ground when they can just be lobbed.
Also more halfback passes.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:00 PM 10-25-2021
Pretty good summary, IMO. The reality is that the NFL is structured to punish the best teams in the name of parity. The teams who manage to stay competitive despite that are few and far between. You pretty much have to be ruthless in letting good, but expensive players go, and you have to draft very well. We're starting to look a bit shaky on both of those.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 04:00 PM 10-25-2021
I keep waiting for the defense to get better, and for some reason I think they will, but it may be too little too late. I dunno, this season just feels wrong, and has from the get go. We're no longer the team to fear, just the team that can kill you at any moment but for some reason won't. I don't think the good teams fear the Chiefs at all. Add to that the fact that all the teams that beat us were chomping for some revenge, while the Chiefs just don't seem to have that same fire, and you're gonna lose some games.

They CAN fix this. Will they? We'll see. But right now, I'm setting myself up for missing the playoffs. That way if we go, I'll be surprised and happy. If we don't, well the pressure is off for this year. That's one way to look at it I guess.
[Reply]
Valiant 04:02 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I wonder on what basis has Matthieu not struggled as he says. I am fairly certain he is mostly invisible.
Outside of the first half of the first game he has been Sorenson bad. He also has been shy to lay the wood a lot of times. He is either hurt or thinking he will save his body to get paid on another team.

Hopefully it is not here. We have already overspent of defensive players not contributing.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:05 PM 10-25-2021
Everything on Defense starts to click when they find a real pulse at the pass-rush. Right now they just totally fucking suck at it.
[Reply]
Valiant 04:08 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
I keep waiting for the defense to get better, and for some reason I think they will, but it may be too little too late. I dunno, this season just feels wrong, and has from the get go. We're no longer the team to fear, just the team that can kill you at any moment but for some reason won't. I don't think the good teams fear the Chiefs at all. Add to that the fact that all the teams that beat us were chomping for some revenge, while the Chiefs just don't seem to have that same fire, and you're gonna lose some games.

They CAN fix this. Will they? We'll see. But right now, I'm setting myself up for missing the playoffs. That way if we go, I'll be surprised and happy. If we don't, well the pressure is off for this year. That's one way to look at it I guess.
This is where I blame Andy and the coaches.

We are soft, slow and undisciplined.

Before Patrick and the offense would get us out of tight games. The Superbowl exposed a weakness that we haven't addressed still. We don't adapt.

Our schedule before hand had us playing the toughest schedule in the AFC. We get every teams best effort, but yet we don't give ours.

The offensive players are playing like they have to score every play. Doing so is causing mistakes and turnovers to further make this team suck. I feel for Pat, he says the right things but keeps doing the same shit. Hopefully it is not him wanting this shit play calling scheme against the high safeties.

Our oline can't block long enough for those plays right now.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:11 PM 10-25-2021
2019 we were 6-4 at one point and won the SB
[Reply]
KChiefs1 04:13 PM 10-25-2021
Bart Scott on the Chiefs:

https://www.sportscasting.com/espn-b...roster-shreds/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:14 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
How quickly they forget.

Andy is a second-half coach. Both in-game and in-season.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 04:14 PM 10-25-2021
Those first and second round draft results all rolled into a few sentences are terrible to read all at once. Almost nothing of value in them, whether it’s players drafted or traded for with those picks.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:17 PM 10-25-2021
Ideally we pull a rabbit out of a hat. But wouldn't mind taking an L on this season. We need to clean up the defensive locker room and get Reid sparked again. And I don't see that happening this year. I don't know if I'm feeling it's worth desperation moves to salvage a season we may just want to spend instead on a rebuild. Get some young guys time, play around the waiver wire for cheap undrafted guys, etc...
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 04:43 PM 10-25-2021
Yep, our 4th loss was tithe Tits. Didn’t lose another after that. That said, lots of differences between that team and this one.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 04:46 PM 10-25-2021
In other words Veach has been doing a shit job and Andy doesn't know how to prepare a team to come out ready. Team comes out flat. We have seen that over and over again.
[Reply]
notorious 04:47 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Ideally we pull a rabbit out of a hat. But wouldn't mind taking an L on this season. We need to clean up the defensive locker room and get Reid sparked again. And I don't see that happening this year. I don't know if I'm feeling it's worth desperation moves to salvage a season we may just want to spend instead on a rebuild. Get some young guys time, play around the waiver wire for cheap undrafted guys, etc...
You can do all of this while winning.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:51 PM 10-25-2021
Originally Posted by notorious:
You can do all of this while winning.
Sure, but Clark and Mathieus locker room issues won't just go away. I don't know if Reid will snap out of this until he gets closure on Britt. We should try to keep winning but I just think there are locker room issues that can be easily fixed but realistically not this year.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 12
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up