ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***** Eddie Van Halen Repository Thread *****
TLO 10:29 AM 05-26-2021
Have some Eddie Van Halen news? Don't feel like positing in the dudes death thread for the 500th time? Well this thread is for you!
[Reply]
TLO 06:25 PM 10-06-2021
RIP
[Reply]
alpha_omega 01:27 PM 10-11-2021
EDDIE VAN HALEN Memorial Plaque Officially Unveiled In Pasadena

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ed...d-in-pasadena/
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:40 AM 10-28-2021
ICONS & IDOLS: ROCK 'N' ROLL (#3307) 11/19/2021 10:00 AM EST
LOT #604"VAN HALEN" EDDIE VAN HALEN STAGE-PLAYED AND SIGNED "FRANKENSTRAT" GUITAR •

https://www.julienslive.com/lot-deta...%3Dvan%2Bhalen
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:49 AM 10-28-2021
Current top bid is far less than I expected

But still far too rich for my blood :-)
[Reply]
stevieray 10:58 AM 10-28-2021
I'm doing EVH for Halloween.

:-)
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:25 AM 10-28-2021
Originally Posted by stevieray:
I'm doing EVH for Halloween.

:-)
Critical information....

[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:08 AM 02-15-2022
New Eddie Van Halen biography by the late guitarist’s friend and confidante Steve Rosen coming in spring

Renowned music writer Steve Rosen readies Tonechaser - Understanding Edward: My 26-Year Journey with Edward Van Halen for spring release

A comprehensive new biography of Eddie Van Halen, written and self-published by the late guitarist’s long-time friend and confidante Steve Rosen, will be released this spring.

Tonechaser - Understanding Edward: My 26-Year Journey with Edward Van Halen is described in a press release as “an honest and up-close look at what it was like to be friends with the greatest guitar player on the planet.”

A hugely-respected writer for Guitar Player magazine (and sometime Classic Rock contributor), LA-based Rosen had spoken at length with Van Halen about collaborating on an authorised biography in the mid ’80s, but the idea was ultimately shelved.

“At that point, I put to rest the idea of ever writing a book about my friendship with him,” admits Rosen, who began interviewing the Dutch-born guitarist in 1977, ahead of the release of the Pasadena quartet’s game-changing debut album. “Then in 2020, I thought about my relationship with him and I was just moved to begin writing.”

Rosen, inarguably the journalist Van Halen trusted most, began committing his thoughts to paper in August 2020, just six weeks ahead of the guitarist’s passing.

“I didn’t know where I was going or where it would take me,” he admits, “but I wrote every day for over a year and it was the hardest stuff I’d ever written. I finally finished the book around October 2021 and felt a great release. I was really proud of what I’d accomplished and I wanted fans to read and share in what I’d experienced in my friendship with Edward.”

The hardcover book, with a cover image taken by long-time VH collaborator Neil Zlozower, is available to pre-order now, priced at $35.00 plus $12.00 shipping for US residents:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/new...ming-in-spring
[Reply]
alpha_omega 02:51 PM 04-18-2022

OSU Band Pay Epic Tribute to Van Halen With Rockin’ Halftime Show

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...144535632.html
[Reply]
EPodolak 05:30 PM 04-18-2022
^ It's up to school marching band leaders to preserve and carry the torch for rock and roll.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:12 AM 04-19-2022
The marching band thing was cool, but maybe this is some real news???

Joe Satriani confirms EVH tribute tour discussions with Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth: "If it does happen, I know we'll make it the greatest thing ever for the fans"

Joe Satriani would surely be very high on anyone's dream list of guitarists to pay tribute to Eddie Van Halen's guitar legacy onstage, now he's confirmed he's been in discussion to make that reality with Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth.

In a new interview with the Rock Of Nations With Dave Kinchen show in support of his new solo album The Elephants Of Mars, Satch commented on speculation his name was attached to plans for a tour paying tribute to the late Eddie Van Halen, who passed away in 2020.

"I've been talking with Alex and Dave for about a year about doing something — a tour, something like that — that was gonna be a true tribute to [Eddie Van Halen] and the Van Halen legacy," said Satch, as transcribed by Blabbermouth.

But even for one of the world's most iconic guitar players, the idea of it still daunting.

"For me, it was a terrifying prospect of doing something like that, but I realised that it was something that would be a real labor of love for me," reveals Satriani. "I was just so honoured to take on the challenge."

As with everything in the world of Van Halen, it's a slow and softly-softly approach before anything will be made official, if at all.

"It's very complicated," Satriani added. "And all I can really say about it is that if it does happen, I know we'll make it the greatest thing ever for the fans and we'll all celebrate together not only the great Eddie Van Halen but the legacy that that band created, the amazing amount of music and the goodwill and good vibes they created as a band."

The idea of a tribute tour involving big name musician Van Halen fans alongside former band members was leaked by one-time Metallica bassist Jason Newsted last week. He revealed he'd been approached about being involved, which took Satch and the other musicians by surprise.

"These things are always happening in the music industry, and you're supposed to keep very quiet about it [laughs], because sometimes they don't work out," Satriani said. "There's usually about 10 crazy ideas that float around and musicians are always, like, 'Okay, I won't say anything about this 'cause it may not work out. I don't wanna hurt this person's feelings or disrupt any other business plans.' So, yeah, we were all pretty shocked that Jason wanted to go public with it 'cause we were all sworn to silence. [Laughs]"

From what Satch was willing to reveal in the interview, it sounds like the project is further along than Newsted suggested. The bassist even said the idea had "fizzled" from his perspective. Whatever happens, Satriani is just happy to have connected with Eddie's brother.

"I have to say that just getting to know Alex has been really wonderful," the guitarist added. "He's a great human being, and, obviously, I can't imagine losing a brother that way, so soon. And they were really close; their relationship was really quite unique."

A potential tour could still happen too…

"Like I said before, if it ever does happen, it will be a great honour and a terrifying challenge," Satriani continued. "Eddie, you can't reproduce what he did — you can't. You can learn the notes and you can be taught all the fingerings and get the gear and everything, but there was only one Eddie and he was the epitome of an original genius. But if it does happen, I know that Alex will make sure that it's the right way to do it."

The guitarist also weighed the idea of learning Van Halen songs to his previous solo work and playing with Chickenfoot alongside former Van Halen members Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony.

"… The thought of representing all the eras of Van Halen, that's pretty daunting; that's a lot of stuff," Satriani admitted. "And just from a guitar player's point of view, Eddie progressed remarkably as a player and as an inventor, and those two things, they kind of went together from 'Van Halen I' all the way to the last album. And when you sit down to actually learn it and pull it off, you go, 'Wow! Not only do I need talent but I need [to use specific] gear,' 'cause certain things won't work unless you've got this amp and it's doing that. So that's also another thing."

https://www.musicradar.com/news/van-...e-joe-satriani
[Reply]
Bowser 06:53 PM 04-19-2022
Nice! I'd be willing to throw some cash at that show.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:28 AM 04-21-2022
Considered putting this in the historic pictures thread, but remembered this thread had been bumped recently, a bit of local-ish history finally facing the march of time.

Oldest MO McDonald's being razed and replaced with new.

Site of the picture in the course of their first promo tour

There's a story and video

https://www.vhnd.com/2021/04/13/the-...h-photo-video/
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:37 AM 07-18-2022
Hit the link for the whole interview with WVH, I'll just post the EVH tribute parts...

Exclusive: Wolfgang Van Halen on His Next Album, That Eddie Van Halen Tribute, Internet Hate, and Much More

There was apparently some kind of Van Halen tribute attempted that involved your uncle [Alex Van Halen] and Joe Satriani. What can you say about that?
What I can say is that there was an attempt at doing something. But, you know, I don’t like to speak negatively about people, but there are some people that make it very difficult to do anything when it comes to Van Halen. After being in Van Halen for a long time, I really have strived to have an environment where there is no walking on eggshells and there is no personality that you have to deal with. It’s just guys having fun making music and just having a good time. But, you know, from my time in Van Halen, there was always some stuff that gets in the way from just making music and having a good time. And, I think, that’s what happened.

Let’s see, how can we decode that?…
I would love to just sit here and say everything and say the truth. There are plenty of interviews my dad did, where he straight up just said everything. And people hated him for it and thought he was lying. So I could just say shit, but people have already decided how they feel about things, facts or not. So I can say the facts. But that may not align with how certain people feel. I know how Van Halen fans get. They are very motivated by which specific people they like in the band. And it’s just not worth it. Just, we made an attempt, and some people can be hard to work with, and made it not happen.

When you say “we,” what would your involvement have been in this?
When it comes to Van Halen, and decision-making overall and what Van Halen does, it’s Al, and then I’m there and supportive. You know, I basically help make the decisions that dad would be there to make, because I’m in there in his stead.

So basically, you gave your blessing to this attempt that didn’t work out.
It didn’t even get to that point. It was in such an early stage that it never even got off the ground.

Too bad.
Yeah, no, I would really like to do something for Pop.

So to get this straight, was this going to be a tour or a single concert? There’s a lot of confusion.
It was not a tour.

So it was a one-off tribute concert. And even on that, they couldn’t get together?
Right, surprise. Look at anything that’s happened with Van Halen. And look how things have fallen apart. You know? The fact that in my tenure, in Van Halen, we managed to do three tours, put an album of original material and a live album out is a fucking miracle.

It must make any band dynamics you have to deal with now seem like a fucking vacation.
When it comes to Mammoth, it’s just like, “Grow the fuck up. Like, We’re here to have a good time. Like, Why the fuck would you want to ruin that?” But apparently, some people are too full of themselves to let other people have a good time.

There’s been a tremendous amount of confusion out there on this tribute thing.

People love to pin every decision Van Halen has ever made on Dad. But Al’s the brain. Al has been the guy forever. He’s the dude. When it comes to Van Halen, Dad just wanted to play guitar. But, you know, Al’s mentality, and it’s the mentality that Van Halen took for the entirety of its band, is that there’s nothing worth talking about unless it’s happening. So the reason that nothing has been talked about from Van Halen, the official channels, is because nothing’s happened. And I know how that will stir people up and piss them off. But that’s how the operation is run.

When Robert Plant wouldn’t tour with Led Zeppelin, they auditioned all kinds of singers, including Steven Tyler. But just because they jammed a couple of times, doesn’t mean anything really came of that.
Not at all. And just because one person [former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted] decided to talk about it when they weren’t supposed to, it fucked everything up.

Was that really what fucked it up?
That wasn’t the end of it, actually. It was already not happening.

And if someone were to assume that the main problem was a certain singer with three initials, what would you say to that?
I would say “Do your research on the history of Van Halen, and come to your conclusions.”

You’ve had this very public grieving process for your dad. Where are you emotionally with that?
I’m never going to be OK. I think my time where I seem OK is just me not thinking about how I’m not OK. I heard a thing where it’s like, “You’re not necessarily experiencing happiness, you’re just experiencing the absence of sadness.” And I feel like that is how I am most of the time. I feel like my mentality is really below average on everything, most of the time. You know, with the state of the world. I miss my dad, and, you know, people are mean, and everything just kind of creates this, this cocktail of just depression and anxiety that I already have been dealing with my whole life. And you just kinda figure it out, and find the things that are worth living for. And the things that are worth living for, for me, are Mammoth, my girlfriend, my mom, my uncle, you know, my whole team with my band. And you just got to hold on to that stuff.

We joked last year about how you had to save rock & roll, and weirdly, now it looks like it’s kind of coming back in the mainstream, from Olivia Rodrigo to Harry Styles to the pop-punk revival.
You know, Demi Lovato just came out with a pop-punk song. Fuckin’ Machine Gun Kelly switched genres! It’s what’s in. I don’t know if it’s just being used as a facade or if they’re just kind of copping on the scene to look cool. But at the same time, they’re playing the music and that could open up the doorway to other things. It really does seem like rock-based music, or at least guitar-bass-drums-style music, is coming back into the limelight. That’s pretty cool.

Maybe you did it.
Rock & roll is saved! Sorry, Gene [Simmons]! [Laughs.]

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ibute-1383846/
[Reply]
crazycoffey 01:48 PM 07-18-2022
I like wolfie
[Reply]
cosmo20002 03:46 PM 07-18-2022
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Hit the link for the whole interview with WVH, I'll just post the EVH tribute parts...

Exclusive: Wolfgang Van Halen on His Next Album, That Eddie Van Halen Tribute, Internet Hate, and Much More

There was apparently some kind of Van Halen tribute attempted that involved your uncle [Alex Van Halen] and Joe Satriani. What can you say about that?
What I can say is that there was an attempt at doing something. But, you know, I don’t like to speak negatively about people, but there are some people that make it very difficult to do anything when it comes to Van Halen. After being in Van Halen for a long time, I really have strived to have an environment where there is no walking on eggshells and there is no personality that you have to deal with. It’s just guys having fun making music and just having a good time. But, you know, from my time in Van Halen, there was always some stuff that gets in the way from just making music and having a good time. And, I think, that’s what happened.
I've read several articles and comments about the EVH "Tribute" and it is hard to believe the problem is anything other than Roth. I assume that he just doesn't want to share a stage with Hagar, even if they aren't on it together. I greatly prefer the DLR years, but at this point (and really for some time now), Sammy is the better performer. Dave knows he wont look good by comparison.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up