ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 610 of 3903
« First < 110510560600606607608609610 61161261361462066071011101610 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
neech 10:13 AM 03-22-2020
Costco is a well oiled machine for now.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:14 AM 03-22-2020
Mnuchin said on whatever FOXNews Sunday morning show is called that the government is anticipating a 12 week lockdown.
[Reply]
notorious 10:16 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
I didn't know there was a term for it myself until I saw it posted on reddit (I think) within the last few months.
I didn't know they had a term for it and everything. :-)

Human nature and the way we think is fascinating.
[Reply]
stevieray 10:17 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
If a famous person succumbs to this, every day Joes are going to feel even more vulnerable.
Sorry, I don't agree.

....and I feel sorry for those who do.

sports and movies are escapes. a luxury.
[Reply]
notorious 10:20 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Sorry, I don't agree.

....and I feel sorry for those who do.

sports and movies are escapes. a luxury.
I'm in the same boat, Stevie. I'm not speaking for myself.

The general population live their lives through media personalities. If one of their "heroes" dies than it's like a family member died.
[Reply]
LiL stumppy 10:21 AM 03-22-2020
My biggest concern with the situation is the science community and their continued and overwhelming discord regarding the severity of Covid, much like everything else in the science community.

We are asked to rely on health officials and scientists, but too many have a specific agenda and let that sway which side of the fence they're on. You have doctors, scientists and the president downplaying the severity, yet earlier into this pandemic you had similar professionals seemingly preparing for the greatest global fight we've ever encountered.

Much like this thread, you have individuals on both sides of that fence that are sharing links and posting technical arguments to support their side and agenda, much like politics. This has been the biggest and most exhaustive part of this ordeal. I now have 1,000+ Facebook friends that are biologists and medical professionals pushing their own philosophy as fact because of a shared FB post or the fact that their 3rd cousin's boyfriend is an ER nurse in Italy.

No wonder people are panicking and confused. They don't know who to believe and who to trust.
[Reply]
TLO 10:31 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by LiL stumppy:
No wonder people are panicking and confused. They don't know who to believe and who to trust.
That's a very good point.
[Reply]
Donger 10:33 AM 03-22-2020
https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/

:-)
[Reply]
jd1020 10:33 AM 03-22-2020
My biggest concern with the situation is the science community and their continued and overwhelming discord regarding the severity of Covid, much like everything else in the science community.

We are asked to rely on health officials and scientists, but too many have a specific agenda and let that sway which side of the fence they're on. You have doctors, scientists and the president downplaying the severity, yet earlier into this pandemic you had similar professionals seemingly preparing for the greatest global fight we've ever encountered.

Much like this thread, you have individuals on both sides of that fence that are sharing links and posting technical arguments to support their side and agenda, much like politics. This has been the biggest and most exhaustive part of this ordeal. I now have 1,000+ Facebook friends that are biologists and medical professionals pushing their own philosophy as fact because of a shared FB post or the fact that their 3rd cousin's boyfriend is an ER nurse in Italy.

Well you have a bunch of idiots comparing it to the flu which has a vaccine and about a 0.1% death rate. This virus has about a 4% death rate world wide right now and that's if you count the total confirmed cases, not just the actual closed cases.
[Reply]
notorious 10:34 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/

:-)
It was just a matter of time. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:35 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
A LOT of people connect to celebs and athletes.

If something happens to them, people have odd reactions. They are like a member of their family. They've been a part of their lives, and even invited into their home (through media).

When Derrick Thomas or Dale Earnhardt died, grown men cried that had never met them. Prime example.

If a famous person succumbs to this, every day Joes are going to feel even more vulnerable.
remember that Monday when people started taking this seriously, Tom Hanks announced he was positive and the sports leagues started shutting down.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 10:36 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I'm not really sure what you are suggesting,
People are free to turn off the news
I'm suggesting that the lack of control we are all feeling is making the situation worse. Most of us are dependent upon news to get information. When none of that information helps us process the fear we are all feeling, it simply makes the situation worse.

I believe it works like this:

feelings of loss of control leads to helplessness, feeling helpless leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to lashing out at others and escalating the problems.

Corner a rabbit and see how it reacts. It's rather startling how different an animal reacts when it's afraid.
[Reply]
notorious 10:36 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
remember that Monday when people started taking this seriously, Tom Hanks announced he was positive and the sports leagues started shutting down.
I don't know if they are tied directly together, but if Hanks would have died......the panic would have hit even harder.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 10:36 AM 03-22-2020

Dr. Fauci is probably best resource anyone can have right now and he does Q&As all the time. Id listen to him more than anyone.
[Reply]
LiL stumppy 10:39 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Well you have a bunch of idiots comparing it to the flu which has a vaccine and about a 0.1% death rate. This virus has about a 4% death rate world wide right now and that's if you count the total confirmed cases, not just the actual closed cases.
This is my exact point, I suppose. From day 1, I've believed this to be severe and worth keeping an eye on. Maybe that was just my anxiety, or the fact weeks before this took off, I watched the Netflix original show Pandemic and how one is inevitable, at any point. I still maintain the stance that this is much more severe than the flu and needs to be handled as such.

But the economic impact will be significant and I don't think anyone can downplay that. Personally, I would much rather be poor, sharing a house with my entire family if they are alive and healthy than to lose a few family members to this disease.

It's just the same frustrating cycle that we see in the scientific community and politics. Your background, your career, your ethnicity, and socioeconomic background are probably curtailing your view on this pandemic more than the facts...

But the real concern. What are the facts, who do we trust and who do we follow? Because there's a whole lot of people on both sides of this thing.
[Reply]
Page 610 of 3903
« First < 110510560600606607608609610 61161261361462066071011101610 > Last »
Up