ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 597 of 3903
« First < 97497547587593594595596597 59859960060160764769710971597 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 09:22 PM 03-21-2020
You can’t just start dosing people with that yet. You’ve gotta let the clinical studies work it out.

Well know soon enough on those
[Reply]
SupDock 09:23 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
Everyone keeps talking about hospitals being overrun. That is not a foregone conclusion, especially now that we likely have an effective treatment.

OK, enough bitching about the hyper emotional decision making up to this point... let's talk about the future.

What if the following scenario played out...

On Monday doctors nationwide start prescribing HCQ+azithromycin to patients testing positive for Covid-19. (I am not saying all doctors are mandated to do so but a significant number begin to adopt this treatment plan)

Our supplies of both hold up (this is actually likely given how readily available both are) The US also ramps up production ( and taps into strategic stockpile and military supplies) to meet any upcoming need.

After 6 days, 80%+ of all treated people are virus free.

At what point would you support lifting all the mandated restrictions and just issuing advisories and continuing Federal support for testing and recovery (both economic and medical)?

If this plays out, I can not see ANY excuse for not lifting restrictions by April 1.
This will not happen for several reasons

1. We aren't sure it works
2. We don't have enough of the meds. If it does work, we need it for hospitalized patients.
3. In general, very few patients are being tested at this point due to shortages.
4. These medications have risks
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:23 PM 03-21-2020
How so? Most of what is posted is completely plausible. Please give me specifics you take issue with.
The drug cocktail has not been proven effective.

And just because something is plausible does not mean it's probable. Your scenario is over three standard deviations from the likely outcome.
[Reply]
O.city 09:24 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:

2. We don't have enough of the meds. If it does work, we need it for hospitalized patients.
3. In general, very few patients are being tested at this point due to shortages.
They have already ramped up production of those meds along with others
[Reply]
TLO 09:26 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
Like every other plague or outbreak in history, infections and death will not keep growing exponentially. It's impossible. Both will inevitably reach a point where they start to trend down and things return to normal. It is the measures we take to speed up that downturn that will tell how quickly normal returns. It's all explained much more eloquently in the linked article below. This is a good read. No need to read it all. There is a lot you already know, but definitely worth your time...and who doesn't have time to kill right now.

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine...9-1b767def5894

ERROR
This post is under investigation or was found in violation of the Medium Rules.
There are thousands of stories to read on Medium. Visit our homepage
to find one that’s right for you.
Take me to Medium
[Reply]
AustinChief 09:27 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
You can’t just start dosing people with that yet. You’ve gotta let the clinical studies work it out.

Well know soon enough on those
ah... and why exactly not? The one (ridiculously small) study we have showed it to be 100% effective. And what is the HARM in prescribing it? These are two drugs that are REGULARLY prescribed together in anyone who has RA and a bacterial infection. It may not prove to be effective (I'm willing to bet it is), but please tell me the EXACT harm in trying it?
[Reply]
Monticore 09:27 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
They have already ramped up production of those meds along with others
Having enough for all positive patients vs critically ill ones is a big difference.
[Reply]
SupDock 09:30 PM 03-21-2020
ah... and why exactly not? The one (ridiculously small) study we have showed it to be 100% effective. And what is the HARM in prescribing it? These are two drugs that are REGULARLY prescribed together in anyone who has RA and a bacterial infection. It may not prove to be effective (I'm willing to bet it is), but please tell me the EXACT harm in trying it?
Cardiac arrhythmia

These drugs are not "regularly " prescribed together.
[Reply]
cdcox 09:31 PM 03-21-2020
Everyone keeps talking about hospitals being overrun. That is not a foregone conclusion, especially now that we likely have an effective treatment.

OK, enough bitching about the hyper emotional decision making up to this point... let's talk about the future.

On Monday doctors nationwide start prescribing HCQ+azithromycin to patients testing positive for Covid-19. (I am not saying all doctors are mandated to do so but a significant number begin to adopt this treatment plan)

Our supplies of both hold up (this is actually likely given how readily available both are) The US also ramps up production ( and taps into strategic stockpile and military supplies) to meet any upcoming need.

At what point would you support lifting all the mandated restrictions and just issuing advisories and continuing Federal support for testing and recovery (both economic and medical)?

If this plays out, I can not see ANY excuse for not lifting restrictions by April 1.
80% of cases now are mild. It is the 20% who do not have mild symptoms that is driving this crisis. The virus is highly transmissible and even 20% serious cases represents millions of patients with the likelihood of our health care system being over run. Why do you think going from 20% problematic cases to 20% represents a game changer?
[Reply]
AustinChief 09:32 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:

4. These medications have risks
1. What harm is there in trying.
2. I am actually expecting doctors to prescribe it for patients with more severe symptoms not just anyone who tests positive. (I should have clarified that)
3. See 2, this would be for those with more severe symptoms who have been tested.
4. The risks are beyond fucking minimal. That is a complete bullshit excuse, ask any competent pharmacist about the risks.
[Reply]
SupDock 09:33 PM 03-21-2020
2. I am actually expecting doctors to prescribe it for patients with more severe symptoms not just anyone who tests positive. (I should have clarified that)
3. See 2, this would be for those with more severe symptoms who have been tested.
4. The risks are beyond fucking minimal. That is a complete bullshit excuse, ask any competent pharmacist about the risks.
I don't need to ask one. What qualifies you to make this statement?
[Reply]
007 09:37 PM 03-21-2020
So how do you all feel about KC going shelter in place on Tuesday. I'm shocked that they are going to enforce it as a misdemeanor, fine, and jail time.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:37 PM 03-21-2020

A New York surgeon has already said that hospitals will be overwhelmed soon and that healthcare workers are at serious risk. Could you imagine what it would be like if everyone was out there working and partying right now?

I think your notion that it is not a foregone conclusion that hospitals wouldnt be overrun if the at risk were self quarantined and everyone went about their business like this virus isnt extremely contagious is a little too optimistic for my taste.

Here's a link to the article with the surgeon warning about the risks of hospital problems.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ys/ar-BB11wbhk
[Reply]
Fish 09:40 PM 03-21-2020
Pretty sure you just did though.
[Reply]
SupDock 09:41 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Pretty sure you just did though.
My guess is, if you disagree you are "incompetent"
[Reply]
Page 597 of 3903
« First < 97497547587593594595596597 59859960060160764769710971597 > Last »
Up