ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 557 of 3903
« First < 57457507547553554555556557 55855956056156760765710571557 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 09:22 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
5 days ago

last night

Only took the coach getting it to cause this I bet
[Reply]
Donger 09:23 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
With no wide spread testing, thats an irrelevant point in time.
I don't agree. Surely people being admitted are being tested, at least some of them.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:24 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Yeah, but you are focusing one one set of numbers with well-known inputs, and another with very poorly-known inputs, so the two don't really correlate.

I hope that the hospitalization rate for COVID-19 infection is far, far less than 20%. I hope it's less than 2%. But we don't yet know what it is. If it ends up being much higher than the flu, we're in serious trouble, especially as it looks like it might be much more infectious.
If, yes, if. So far, it hasn't gotten to that point. Let's hope it doesn't. In the meantime we have to focus on the actual numbers that are coming in and not react to what they might mean, maybe, later, if.

Trust me, our health system is prepping for the worst but that does not mean the worst is going to happen.
[Reply]
O.city 09:26 AM 03-21-2020
It’s shown to be sensitive to heat so if Mother Nature could help us out and turn the fucking thermostat up that would help
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 09:26 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
States reporting 0 new cases so far today:

Washington
New Jersey
Illinois
Florida
Georgia
Massachusetts
Colorado
Connecticut
Nevada
South Carolina
Minnesssota
Oregon
Utah
Alabama
Mississippi
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Oklahoma
Iowa
Vermont
New Mexico
South Dakota
This post will mean more to me at about 10 pm this evening...
[Reply]
petegz28 09:26 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I don't agree. Surely people being admitted are being tested, at least some of them.
He just wants to make any situation as bad as it could be for whatever reason. I, myself, choose to find a bit of solace in the fact that 90%of the testes workd wide have been negative. Most people who do get it will be fine and have to self-isolate at home. As with everything there is a bad side to it. Some people choose to focus on just the good. Some and a lot are choosing to focus on just the bad. I am trying to get some sort of perspective between both.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:27 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
This post will mean more to me at about 10 pm this evening...
What is so special about 10pm?
[Reply]
Donger 09:27 AM 03-21-2020
He just wants to make any situation as bad as it could be for whatever reason. I, myself, choose to find a bit of solace in the fact that 90%of the testes workd wide have been negative. Most people who do get it will be fine and have to self-isolate at home. As with everything there is a bad side to it. Some people choose to focus on just the good. Some and a lot are choosing to focus on just the bad. I am trying to get some sort of perspective between both.
It's much more likely that the numbers haven't been updated yet.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:28 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It’s shown to be sensitive to heat so if Mother Nature could help us out and turn the ****ing thermostat up that would help
That's the hope. Would be nice if it would quit going from 70 to 25 in a day too. That doesn't help at all for a variety of reasons in general.
[Reply]
stumppy 09:28 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It’s shown to be sensitive to heat so if Mother Nature could help us out and turn the fucking thermostat up that would help
Global warming says "Hold my beer".:-)
[Reply]
petegz28 09:29 AM 03-21-2020
It's much more likely that the numbers haven't been updated yet.
Based on what, Donger? This site has been one of the most accurate and up to date sites out there. Those numbers were as of 15:26 GMT.

This site has been far ahead of any media reports I have seen as well.
[Reply]
Donger 09:30 AM 03-21-2020
Based on what, Donger? This site has been one of the most accurate and up to date sites out there. Those numbers were as of 15:26 GMT.

This site has been far ahead of any media reports I have seen as well.
Because it's morning in the US.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:32 AM 03-21-2020
Because it's morning in the US.
And? We've already seen reports out of states across the entire country, coast-coast.

You have no idea. If your argument is those numbers probably won't hold I will agree.

Otherwise you are just talking out of your ass at this point.
[Reply]
Spott 09:35 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
So glad I went Thursday...
I’ve never been in a Costco in my life. Looks like that isn’t going to change.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 09:36 AM 03-21-2020
It took me awhile to finally have this all connect in my head, and I wish someone would have laid it out like this early on to get people to stay inside. We are about to experience something horrible in NYC and the fear is it will be duplicated around the country because some people just aren’t getting it yet. I know this has been said but it isn’t the mortality rate or the groups being impacted or any of that. It’s the fact that hundred then thousands then tens of thousands are going to need hospitalization and there will be no beds or ventilators available:

Let me paint you a bleak picture...

The rate of infection will follow a standard equation governing the spread and other factors called the R-Naught.

Currently, with the exception of Asian countries that are taking draconian steps, we are seeing this doubling occur approximately every 2-3 days.

Currently we have around 5,000 per day in US.

2 days ago it was approximately 2,500.

2 days before that it was approximately 1,250.

It works the other way too - even with the limited social distancing slowing it:

In 4 days from now it will be 10,000.

4 days from then it will be 20,000 (we’re talking next weekend).

And so on.

This is if we did not shelter or develop “herd” immunity.

Herd immunity, as you all know, happens over time as more people are infected, become immune, and come into contact with fewer and fewer susceptible people who haven’t developed immunity.

So the spread will naturally slow over time.

And sheltering in place can slow down the rate of doubling. But this takes time to catch-up in the numbers since it can take a week or longer for the symptoms to manifest in new patients.

Why they are having everyone shelter in place is because 2 out of every 10 cases, on average, will require medical care at a hospital.

And on average 25% of those cases will need ventilators/life support to survive.

We have a limited number of beds and ICUs can be quickly overrun.

We’re seeing this in Italy at the moment.

Here’s where it gets scary:

In two weeks we will have the ICUs in NYC and possibly other major American cities filled.

But the spread of infection will continue to double (again, unless we are successful in sheltering in place and idiots aren’t going to beaches and out to parties) for a period of time before leveling off and hopefully falling.

What happens when the hospitals are full and can take no new patients?

Yet there are now 10,000 20,000 30,000 new infected each day?

And 5% of those require hospitalization to have a good chance to live?

We will have 500, 1,000, 1,500 or more people a day who need ventilators and critical care to deal with pneumonia and other ailments who simply won’t be able to get it.

And we will not have the beds, the equipment, or the staff to treat these sick people.

In Italy, where this is happening right now, people in this most dire group are being told to go home - many to die. Doctors and nurses are being forced to pick who gets a ventilator when one becomes available.

Some beds will become available but since the sick are sometimes on these machines for long periods the turnover isn’t great and capacity is reached quickly.

So unless we slow the rate of infection or the percentage of people who need hospitalization is reduced (which hasn’t happened quickly in other hot spots where the effects of staying home aren’t seen until weeks after it begins) you are going to be facing a reality in weeks where thousands of Americans are dying every day because the health care system is overrun. It will happen suddenly and it will be a shock to many who haven’t realized that this is why we are staying home.

As long as we are going out the spread will continue. Staying at home will slow it. Assembling more beds with more ventilators run by more medical professionals can mitigate it. But given that many of our doctors and nurses have no where near the level of protection that their Chinese counterparts had we are going to see the availability of doctors and nurses reduced as well as they get sick — further magnifying the problem.

The sheltering orders will stunt it, but we are now in a race against time that I fear we have already lost

Few seem to be feeling what is coming right now. Few seem to realize the math that’s involved and that the growing numbers of overall new cases will have around 20% of that total number requiring hospitalization to save their lives. Hospitalization that won’t be available in mere days and weeks in NYC.

Few seem to feel it. In two weeks it will be impossible not to feel it.
[Reply]
Page 557 of 3903
« First < 57457507547553554555556557 55855956056156760765710571557 > Last »
Up