ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 44 of 63
« First < 344041424344 4546474854 > Last »
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
unlurking 01:51 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Season 2 of Discovery is better than Season 1 though the latter improved in the last half of the episodes.

Not subbed for CBS All Access so I couldn't tell you about Lower Decks or Season 3 so far.

Edit: And S2 was great because of Mount as Pike.
Agreed on Discovery.

So far, season 3 of Discovery sucks. I'm watching it because it's Trek, but I don't how much more I'll be able to suffer through.

Lower Decks is great and worth the watch.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:07 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Are these Star Trek programs worth watching?

Or should I just wait until Srange New Worlds has been released, with Anson Mount as Pike?
There is absolutely no reason to watch Season 1 of Discovery.

Discovery on its own fields the most unlikable cast in Trek history. It was only the injection of Pike and the Enterprise that made Discovery watchable. I have such high hopes for Strange New Worlds; I hope against hope that they don't fuck it up and keep it grounded in the classic Trek tradition.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:51 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:

Discovery on its own fields the most unlikable cast in Trek history. It was only the injection of Pike and the Enterprise that made Discovery watchable. I have such high hopes for Strange New Worlds; I hope against hope that they don't fuck it up and keep it grounded in the classic Trek tradition.
Thanks! I'll continue to wait until the new Pike series has been fully released.
[Reply]
RealSNR 03:26 PM 10-31-2020
Has nobody at CBS run the numbers and done the polling to see that they could get a crapton of viewers if they simply produced a Star Trek product that had absolutely zero-nada-nothing to do with Alex Kurtzman or the type of Star Trek shows/movies/stories he has been in charge of?

Dane probably knows, but I don't think anybody has really reported the reason why Bryan Singer got booted off as showrunner midway through production of Season 1 of Discovery. My guess is it wasn't "new" enough?

Geez, I mean, they don't have to go to bathtub models and dudes in Gorn suits or anything. Just tell some good stories and give us a crew that ISN'T either super fucking annoying or boring.

And if you're going to do serialized season-long arcs, that's fine and all, but for the love of God stop with the "GOTTA TIE UP THE LOOSE ENDS MAY AS WELL DO IT WITH EXPLOSIONS THAT DON'T MAKE SENSE!" Energy and buildup is nice. Frantic action at the expense of the plot is stupid. There's a difference.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:51 PM 10-31-2020

Discovery on its own fields the most unlikable cast in Trek history. It was only the injection of Pike and the Enterprise that made Discovery watchable. I have such high hopes for Strange New Worlds; I hope against hope that they don't **** it up and keep it grounded in the classic Trek tradition.
I haven’t been able to watch Discovery Season 2 because I disliked the progression of Discovery Season 1 so much. Maybe I will eventually but it’s hard to trust at this point.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:06 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I haven’t been able to watch Discovery Season 2 because I disliked the progression of Discovery Season 1 so much. Maybe I will eventually but it’s hard to trust at this point.
I understand. I wouldn't watch Season 2 again. While the Pike/Spock/Enterprise stuff is generally great, it is too interwoven with the Burnham/Discovery stuff, which is just more of the same Mary Sue saves the Universe dreck with her band of plucky misfits.

It definitely has it's moments, though. I particularly enjoyed the Talos IV episode (the ship visits the planet with the mind controlling aliens from the original series pilot).

And the Enterprise looks great. The ship itself is kind of a hybrid between the original and refit in the movies. And the reimagined Enterprise bridge is pretty much perfect.

[Reply]
Bowser 04:06 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Watch it for Pike and Spock if nothing else. Especially Pike.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:11 PM 10-31-2020
I'll say this about season 3 so far - they are trying really hard to do something new and original, and I've actually liked the first two episodes more than I thought I would. But -

Spoiler!

That said, I'm also in the camp of thinking Michael Burnham is miscast as the protagonist.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:10 PM 10-31-2020
I liked the first ep of season 3, but eps 2 and 3 didn't do much for me.
[Reply]
unlurking 05:13 PM 10-31-2020
I understand. I wouldn't watch Season 2 again. While the Pike/Spock/Enterprise stuff is generally great, it is too interwoven with the Burnham/Discovery stuff, which is just more of the same Mary Sue saves the Universe dreck with her band of plucky misfits.

Much of Star Trek is a Mary Sue. Kirk was one of the worst.

The problem is the characters and the writing is just so bad. The dialogue in the first two episodes is perhaps the worst TV dialogue I've heard in years. I don't think I've seen this much crying outside a funeral.

I'm starting to come around on Burnham. She's only the second worst character now. Tilley makes me want to stab my eyes out and puncture my ear drums.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:10 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Much of Star Trek is a Mary Sue. Kirk was one of the worst.

The problem is the characters and the writing is just so bad. The dialogue in the first two episodes is perhaps the worst TV dialogue I've heard in years. I don't think I've seen this much crying outside a funeral.

I'm starting to come around on Burnham. She's only the second worst character now. Tilley makes me want to stab my eyes out and puncture my ear drums.
Kirk would have died at least a dozen times if not for Spock. It was usually the two of them working in tandem that defeated whatever was opposing them. Burnham is like a Kirk/Spock combination that can solve any problem after everyone else gives up and she has a good cry about it.

As for Tilly, she's bad, but I loathe Stamets. He's the Jar Jar of Star Trek.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:42 PM 10-31-2020
Kirk would have died at least a dozen times if not for Spock. It was usually the two of them working in tandem that defeated whatever was opposing them. Burnham is like a Kirk/Spock combination that can solve any problem after everyone else gives up and she has a good cry about it.

As for Tilly, she's bad, but I loathe Stamets. He's the Jar Jar of Star Trek.
Don't forget Bones! :-)
For some reason I only find Stamets mildly annoying. That may be because he gets very little screen time though.
I'm glad they're doing a spinoff Pike series from season 2. I'd love to see them do a spinoff Georgio from season 3. Her blasting around a lawless galaxy would be a great show. She alluded to it in the second episode and I think it would be a great idea.
Spinning off 2 great new shows would be a redemption for Discovery. At least enough that I wouldn't be so disappointed by it.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:54 PM 10-31-2020
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Don't forget Bones! :-)
For some reason I only find Stamets mildly annoying. That may be because he gets very little screen time though.
I'm glad they're doing a spinoff Pike series from season 2. I'd love to see them do a spinoff Georgio from season 3. Her blasting around a lawless galaxy would be a great show. She alluded to it in the second episode and I think it would be a great idea.
Spinning off 2 great new shows would be a redemption for Discovery. At least enough that I wouldn't be so disappointed by it.
Yeah, I have no problem with darkside Georgio wrecking shit. My favorite character from Season 1 was Lorca.
[Reply]
Jamie 03:21 AM 11-01-2020
I may be the only one, but I really don't like Georgiou. She was portrayed as so over-the-top evil in the beginning I just can't buy this whole redemption arc. Every time she's on screen all I'm thinking is, why isn't someone punting this bitch out an airlock? Why does anyone trust her? She committed genocide and ate people.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:57 AM 11-01-2020
Originally Posted by Jamie:
I may be the only one, but I really don't like Georgiou. She was portrayed as so over-the-top evil in the beginning I just can't buy this whole redemption arc. Every time she's on screen all I'm thinking is, why isn't someone punting this bitch out an airlock? Why does anyone trust her? She committed genocide and ate people.
I don't think anyone does trusts her, except Burnham. Section 31 has a history of people like her, so I don't think that's an out of place spot for her character. She seems to have some sort of attachment to Burnham who is basically a clone of her "daughter", and it seems like that is the only reason she hasn't decided to go rogue. Now that their is no Section 31 where she can be her true Machiavellian self, I expect she will go out on her own sooner or later. Either because she's basically exiled for doing something "evil" or she finally just gets sick of trying to control her self.

Or she dies. Probably sacrificing herself for Burham, which would suck. But I agree with you, she can't stay. She can't be "redeemed". The only question is how she leaves the show/ship.
[Reply]
Page 44 of 63
« First < 344041424344 4546474854 > Last »
Up