ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Media Center>NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
J Diddy 12:27 AM 11-22-2008
STUPIDEST ****ING ENDING EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus all the entertainment of other things.
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:06 PM 11-23-2008
Originally Posted by T.B.A.:
and you can't follow a single line of logic.
Is there a place where we could perhaps backtrack to a place of less antagonism? I feel as if we are talking about parallel arguments here.
[Reply]
J Diddy 10:07 PM 11-23-2008
Originally Posted by bango:
Would this be the wrong time to bring up the briefcase in Pulp Fiction?

feel free

I can change the thread OP so as to include all movies so as we won't be hijacking.

I always envisioned the contents as a gold monkey mask and you?
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:11 PM 11-23-2008
Originally Posted by J Diddy:
So if I give an interpretation of the book in the conversation then it would be art??
Potentially, I think. Sure. Well, it would cease being a "conversation" at that point as I, the listener, experience this oral art, whatever it may be considered specifically (a story? a dramatic monologue [about a book?])
[Reply]
Boon 10:12 PM 11-23-2008
I've read all the arguments for and against, and still conclude the ending sucked.
[Reply]
burt 10:14 PM 11-23-2008
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
Is there a place where we could perhaps backtrack to a place of less antagonism? I feel as if we are talking about parallel arguments here.
Actually, I was enjoying the antagonism.....that's why I brought up rap, you and my brother, Domer have butted heads over that enough that I thought it would get your goat.

Here are my 3 points of disagreement

1) You call the movie art. Art is interporetive, by nature. Therefore, if we don't like it, we don't like it. It is not a statement of our stupidity.

2) I have a natural distaste of people saying "If you don't agree with me, it must be because you are stupid or you just don't understand " It is arrogant, condescending and rude.

3) Back to the "reality" issue, perception is not always reality. Because YOUR senses tell you something....that doesn't make it true.
[Reply]
burt 10:14 PM 11-23-2008
Originally Posted by Boon:
I've read all the arguments for and against, and still conclude the ending sucked.
it sucked
[Reply]
bango 10:15 PM 11-23-2008
feel free

I can change the thread OP so as to include all movies so as we won't be hijacking.

I always envisioned the contents as a gold monkey mask and you?
I was going to go with uranium, but a golden monkey mask is much better.
[Reply]
bango 10:16 PM 11-23-2008
NO THEY ALL ****ING DIED.
Thanks, I had not had a chance to see it yet.
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:22 PM 11-23-2008
Actually, I was enjoying the antagonism.....that's why I brought up rap, you and my brother, Domer have butted heads over that enough that I thought it would get your goat.

Here are my 3 points of disagreement

1) You call the movie art. Art is interporetive, by nature. Therefore, if we don't like it, we don't like it. It is not a statement of our stupidity.

2) I have a natural distaste of people saying "If you don't agree with me, it must be because you are stupid or you just don't understand " It is arrogant, condescending and rude.

3) Back to the "reality" issue, perception is not always reality. Because YOUR senses tell you something....that doesn't make it true.
Oh, DomerNKC. Heh. He was exactly who I thought of when you brought up rap in the way that you did. My exact thought was "Oh, fuck me. Another Domer." That's funny.

My responses:

1) Truthfully, I don't disagree with you. At all. My condescending comment that you initially responded to was itself a response to JDiddy saying that my calling the movie "a commentary on the harshness of reality, the lack of a clean and perfect narrative in reality" was just a personal interpretation of the movie. I disagree with that -- I think that thread of commentary is objectively in the movie. Whether it is done well or not is a different matter.

2) That's fair. Outside of a little bit of snarkyness, I feel as if I have stayed above that fray. Meh.

3) That, quite clearly is true in the abstract. BUT I seriously was just talking about the sky. I suspect that your senses will tell you that a clear sky is blue just like mine do. Ask anyone else what color a clear sky is and they will say blue. Now obviously testimony has its own epistemological issues, but whatev.
[Reply]
J Diddy 10:26 PM 11-23-2008
Oh, DomerNKC. Heh. He was exactly who I thought of when you brought up rap in the way that you did. My exact thought was "Oh, **** me. Another Domer." That's funny.

My responses:

1) Truthfully, I don't disagree with you. At all. My condescending comment that you initially responded to was itself a response to JDiddy saying that my calling the movie "a commentary on the harshness of reality, the lack of a clean and perfect narrative in reality" was just a personal interpretation of the movie. I disagree with that -- I think that thread of commentary is objectively in the movie. Whether it is done well or not is a different matter.

2) That's fair. Outside of a little bit of snarkyness, I feel as if I have stayed above that fray. Meh.

3) That, quite clearly is true in the abstract. BUT I seriously was just talking about the sky. I suspect that your senses will tell you that a clear sky is blue just like mine do. Ask anyone else what color a clear sky is and they will say blue. Now obviously testimony has its own epistemological issues, but whatev.
I still disagree that a movie is art. A movie is an interpretation of art.
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:27 PM 11-23-2008
I still disagree that a movie is art. A movie is an interpretation of art.
Is it that no movies are art for you? Or just movies that lack an original screenplay?
[Reply]
burt 10:27 PM 11-23-2008
. I suspect that your senses will tell you that a clear sky is blue just like mine do. Ask anyone else what color a clear sky is and they will say blue. Now obviously testimony has its own epistemological issues, but whatev.
And we all just might be wrong......thanks for the fun tonight!
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:28 PM 11-23-2008
And we all just might be wrong......thanks for the fun tonight!
It's so much fun talking epistemology with an indirect realist. :-)
[Reply]
burt 10:32 PM 11-23-2008
:-)
It's so much fun talking epistemology with an indirect realist. :-)
wait a fucking minute....aren't we supposed to be arguing?:-)
[Reply]
J Diddy 10:36 PM 11-23-2008
Is it that no movies are art for you? Or just movies that lack an original screenplay?
pretty much all movies

to me the screenplay is the art
[Reply]
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up