« First < 152122232425
Nzoner's Game Room>Deshaun Watson Suspended 6 Games [increased to 11 games]
Rams Fan 06:35 AM 08-01-2022

Deshaun Watson suspended six games. https://t.co/WfC74deQM6

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) August 1, 2022

[Reply]
Marcellus 02:02 PM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
This argument is ridiculous. Shady? It wasn't shady. It was deliberate. The guy is paid to do a job. He's being suspended from that job without pay. The contract was structured in a way where essentially he wouldn't be paid during the period of the suspension but would be paid double the next year (not exactly but that's the gist of it).

The absolute dollar amount is completely irrelevant. The issue is whether someone being suspended without pay should be paid just because it's a higher magnitude of money. And in no profession does it work like that.

He is being penalized less, not more.

No one has a right to be employed by the NFL. Watson could go take any number of other jobs. Same with Kareem Hunt.

I work in an industry where plenty of people are easily paid on par with and in many, many cases far more than football players. There's no part of me that feels the magnitude of the money has any relevance in this discussion.
You are making that exact argument though are you not?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:09 PM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
You are making that exact argument though are you not?
I’ve fired someone who worked for me for cause and it cost him his multi-million dollar bonus. I didn’t feel any different about it because of the absolute dollar amount. That was his compensation and those were the rules he had signed up for.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:19 PM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I’ve fired someone who worked for me for cause and it cost him his multi-million dollar bonus. I didn’t feel any different about it because of the absolute dollar amount. That was his compensation and those were the rules he had signed up for.
Great, you just made part of my point though.

Watson is being punished under the rules he signed up for at his work place. The legal system has nothing to do with his punishment apparently.

The big difference between us, I don't think the punishment is insignificant and you do. Could it have been more? Certainly. But there has to be a limit to how much non criminal charged allegations can do to a person one would think.

I just do not believe 2 separate grand juries chose not to pursue charges unless there wasn't enough evidence to do so.

We probably wont agree on that.

Edit: I was curious so I did some research-

Tack on about $8MM per year in endorsements he lost. Not sure how many years he had left on contracts but hard to imagine he didn't lose $25-30MM+ there.

Originally Posted by :
According to ProFootballTalk, Watson’s endorsement deals have included Nike, Beats by Dre, Rolex, and other local sponsors like H-E-B, Lefty’s Famous Cheesesteaks, and Reliant Energy.

Forbes reported that Watson’s 2020 off-field earnings reached an estimated $8 million
Sidenote- Mahomes must be killing it off the field to better than $10MM annually.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:47 PM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Great, you just made part of my point though.

Watson is being punished under the rules he signed up for at his work place. The legal system has nothing to do with his punishment apparently.
I’m not making your point. The legal system has absolutely nothing to do with this.

If you do something that eventually comes out in public and it causes your employer to look bad, your employer has every right to terminate your employment or suspend you without pay. That’s what Watson signed up for. Whether it’s someone in a fast food restaurant making $20/hr or someone making $20mm/year, that’s the game. And the counter to that is if Watson felt like he were being unjustly punished, he could THEN take it to the legal system.

The NFL has a ‘protect the shield’ policy and Watson violated that. It’s indisputable. He would lose ~30mm if his contract were structured in a fair and equitable way given that he’ll be suspended without pay. But because of the way the contract was written, he and the Browns managed around that (and it’s entirely possible that was a demand of Watson’s when he was traded that only the Browns were willing to agree to), so the NFL needs to levy a fine of its own — 5mm.

I think the punishment should’ve been a full season and a full year of AAV. He didn’t do this with one women. Not two. Not three. Not four. Should he get the same punishment if it were 4 women vs 8 women vs 12 women vs 16 women? I don’t think so. I think those charges should be largely be additive.

But the only thing I’m arguing here is he got off ridiculously light from a compensation perspective. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind he’ll make more over the next 5 years with this contract and the fine than he would’ve without all of this behavior. And that’s just tremendously disappointing.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 03:03 PM 08-24-2022
I think the Chiefs made the right pick with Mahomes
[Reply]
notorious 03:11 PM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
We probably need a few more games to know for certain.
[Reply]
notorious 03:12 PM 08-24-2022
Houston Texans should despise the Chiefs.

We've fisted them in a lot of games. Knocked them out of the playoffs several times, one was in epic, soul-crushing fashion.

Traded in front of them to steal Mahomes while they got stuck with Watson.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 03:14 PM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
We probably need a few more games to know for certain.
Probably also need to interview Mahomes’s masseuses
[Reply]
scho63 03:14 PM 08-24-2022
Watson's punishment should be that he has to go to prison for 60 days and get sexually assaulted by the same number of inmates that equal the number of women he assaulted.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 03:45 PM 08-24-2022
Watson looked really good early on in his career but I think between his ACL injury and playing for Houston it beat him down a couple notches and prevented him from reaching his full potential.
[Reply]
rico 04:11 PM 08-24-2022
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Me too!!
[Reply]
threebag 07:28 PM 08-24-2022
Watson should be black listed from anything NFL. Fuck that guy
[Reply]
Nickhead 05:44 PM 09-10-2022
if and when watson scores a TD again, will his patented finger sniff motion be considered taunting/unsportsmanlike conduct? :-)
[Reply]
Page 25 of 25
« First < 152122232425
Up